The Miix 700 is Lenovo's Surface killer

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by scoobie, Sep 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Last edited: Aug 9, 2016
    mastercoin, HDaddict and Newcron like this.
  2. Newcron

Newcron Pen Pal - Newbie

HDaddict and surfaceproartist like this.
  3. JazzJackRabbit

JazzJackRabbit Pen Pal - Newbie

So there is something that I noticed about my Lenovo tablet that has been bothering me a lot lately.

The touch scrolling seems off compared to every other touch device I've used before. The best way to describe it is it seems like there is no inertia to the scroll. On all of the other touch enabled devices I've used there was some inertia to scrolling web pages or scrolling through long list of files in explorer. On Miix 700 it feels like as soon as I lift off the finger the scrolling stops immediately. It's driving me nuts because I can no longer scroll using my thumbs, on my Dell tablet I used to do a quick flick with my thumb to get the page to scroll, I can no longer do that on Miix 700 because the scrolling stops almost as soon as I lift off the finger.

I'm kind of kicking myself in the nuts a bit because I have already blown away my recovery partition to get more space (didn't think I'd need it) so I can't restore it to factory installation. I have installed all the firmware updates (BIOS, Folio, Touch Screen), I have installed most of the drivers that could have made the difference, i.e. Chipset, DPTF, Serial IO, Intel Sensor Hub, latest Video Drivers. Intel management Engine keeps failing to install but I don't think that's the problem.

I don't know what to do. This makes it a real chore working with the tablet and is driving me nuts. Any input here guys? How's your touch? Is there inertia to your scrolling or does it tend to stop quickly after you lift off the finger? Anyone with Anniversary Update installed? I'm on the verge of exchanging/returning the tablet if I can't resolve this problem.

4. Sher The Love

Sher The Love Scribbler - Standard Member

I had some weird scrolling issues once in a while when I owned it, but went away after a restart. You can always try doing a fresh Windows install using the media creation tool. Only issue is that you might be SOL if the touch screen and keyboard need their own drivers that you need to download separately from the install. You wouldn't even be able to get past the initial Windows setup screens. I did a fresh install on my wife's Thinkpad Yoga cause she wasn't getting the anniversary update and the touchpad didn't work at all until installed the drivers off the Lenovo website. Luckily, the touchscreen worked. If you ran into this issue, you might be able to use a basic external mouse. Not sure. Just do at your own risk.

5. surfaceproartist

Is the scrolling issue on all applications or just your browser? Which do you use?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. BattleRoyale

BattleRoyale Pen Pal - Newbie

Try checking the Registry keys here: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Wisp\Touch

For comparison, here are my settings, which I haven't changed:

[​IMG]

HDaddict and surfaceproartist like this.
  7. JazzJackRabbit

JazzJackRabbit Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for the suggestion guys.

@surfaceproartist
    Depends on the application. Compared to my Dell I can see the difference even when using explorer to flick through folder with tons of files, although the difference is very minor. The most pronounced difference is when I use FireFox, my main browser, and that's when it gets really frustrating. Still, FireFox functions perfectly fine on my Dell 7140 (although Dell 7140 has not had Anniversary Update installed yet).

@BattleRoyale
    Thanks for the the suggestion. I've checked my settings. One, some of the settings were absent on my Lenovo, I've manually added the missing values, but it made no difference. Two of the settings that were present, all values matched with what I had on my Miix700. That said, I've decided to play with the registry values and had some very interesting results. It looks like some browsers respect these registry settings, and some ignore. Chrome seems to completely ignore these registry values, and FireFox seems to pay attention to them. For example when I set Inertia to 0 it completely stopped inertia in firefox, as in the scrolling stopped as soon as I lifted off my finger. On the other hand when I added (it was missing on my tablet) Mobile_Inertia_Enabled flag and set it to 1, I had crazy high inertia, the firefox webpage and windows explorer would scroll for ages, much like Logitech HyperScroll mice if anybody remembers those. Friction seemed to be the setting that actually made the most effect, I've set mine to 25 (decimal) and it feels a bit better, although still not quite what I think it should feel like. Part of the problem I think is that I tend to do a lot of quick flicks with my thumbs, and it seems like Miix700 doesn't like those, it's like there is a maximum scroll speed built into it and it won't go any faster.

I think my next step would be to install Pre-Anniversary-Edition of Windows 10 on my Miix700. I'm thinking of maybe going to Microcenter to see if they have Miix700 on display, but I doubt they'd have FireFox installed on it.

In the meantime, can anyone post a video of how their Miix700 works in FireFox? The two websites that I visit where I notice the problem are http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/ and this very own http://forum.tabletpcreview.com touchscrolling through these two websites in firefox on Miix700 is pure agony.

mastercoin and HDaddict like this.
  8. HDaddict

HDaddict Pen Pal - Newbie

@JazzJackRabbit

I would suggest to try older drivers, by having them from a driver backup software on an older device working properly.
    I can do it once I get my device in a few days, of course if scrolling is working fine.

9. surfaceproartist

For comparison sake, what happens when you visit those problematic pages in Edge? I do a lot of thumb scrolling of Twitter.com and inertia seems to be fine on my Miix.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. HDaddict

HDaddict Pen Pal - Newbie

I just received the miix 700 today, and first impressions are really positive. The device seems very responsive, and I really like the screen.

Before I add my detailed impression, there's something really killing me - why is Chrome crashing all the time! This is driving me nuts!! Is it something related to all the bloatware Lenovo installs?
    I searched for a solution on the Internet but didn't find any yet, and I'm surely not going to use any alternative to Chrome because of this.

Is there any solution to this???

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.