The Miix 700 is Lenovo's Surface killer

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by scoobie, Sep 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sher The Love

Sher The Love Scribbler - Standard Member

I've gone back and forth between Xodo and Drawboard. For some reason, they render text differently. Sometimes the text is more clear on Xodo and sometimes it's more clear on Drawboard (depending on the PDF). However, since a Xodo update a few weeks ago, Xodo seems to be always more blurry.

2. sonus911

sonus911 Scribbler - Standard Member

3. sonus911

sonus911 Scribbler - Standard Member

Does anyone know what bugs all the new drivers that came out yesterday fix/improve? There are not any readme files posted. The following are posted:
    • Intel MIPI camera
    • Bluetooth
    • Intel VGA
    • Intel R200 Camera
    • Intel WLAN
    • Yoga Mode<--- what is this one??

HDaddict likes this.
  4. JazzJackRabbit

JazzJackRabbit Pen Pal - Newbie

Last edited: Jul 29, 2016
  5. HDaddict

HDaddict Pen Pal - Newbie

Really tempted on pulling the trigger on this one, but still not 100% whether to get this or a Surface device, mainly because of display quality. Any advice?

6. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...Any advice?..>>

Microsoft has been aggressively fine-tuning the Surface UX in recent months with driver and firmware updates, and the result is that the Surface Pro 4 has reached a very good level of operating "polish." (Note that I am not commenting on Surface Book, since I have no first-hand experience with that device) Surface 3 is also very good, but Surface 3 also shows the limits of its Atom processor. Side by side, the performance difference is very apparent.

Having said that, the Miix may better fit your financial circumstances. I've not had the occasion to compare the Miix to the SP4 side by side, so I have no opinion in that regard. All I can say is that the SP4 user experience is currently setting a very high bar...

Good luck.

HDaddict likes this.
  7. JazzJackRabbit

JazzJackRabbit Pen Pal - Newbie

I have no first hand experience, but according to reviews Surface Pro 4 has better screen, higher resolution, higher brightness, and better contrast. It is widely regarded as having the best screen in the business tablet form factor.

That said, I don't know if the better screen justifies the hefty price premium it commands. That's subject to ones preferences and disposable income.

Personally, I want fanless tablet with 8GB of RAM. Microsoft doesn't even offer that. The lenovo tablet offers everything that I want/need at a price that won't break the bank.

Newcron, Shogmaster and HDaddict like this.
  8. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Correct on all counts.

HDaddict likes this.
  9. HDaddict

HDaddict Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for the replies! I totally agree with all you said.

Since I already have a great laptop for more intensive work and Photoshop (Dell XPS 15 with 3K display, core i7, 16GB RAM and 512 GB SSD), this will be my secondary laptop, and I'm really tempted by these good specs, especially the fanless CPUs.

I'm perfectly OK with the expected performance, form factor, weight etc.... I just want a stable device with a polished experience overall, stable drivers, and a good display. I always tend to compare devices to my good-old IPAD 3 with retina display. I know that iPADs have higher ppi display, just like the SP4 and other devices, with higher brightness, and better contrast, but I wonder if it's worth spending so much more for that, or I will really enjoy the display experience on this device.

10. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Have you seen the screen in person? It's really hard to complain about that screen. If anyone sees Miix 700 in person, they will NOT complain about the screen. It's very nice.

Anyways, no matter how nice the SP4 screen is, I can't enjoy using Duo Sense 2 pen's higher initial insertion force. When Miix 700 gets the Wacom driver on August 2nd, it becomes one of the best pen experiences on a 2 in 1.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.