The Miix 700 is Lenovo's Surface killer

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by scoobie, Sep 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 AKA Hifihedgehog Senior Member

2. sonus911

sonus911 Scribbler - Standard Member

I bought the GX80K32882 version and my hover and general experience is atrocious. I get 1-2mm of hover. My hand is always activating the screen b/c the hover is so poor. I actually prefer note-taking on my Note5 despite the small screen b/c of these issues. My tablet is newer, as it came with the stylus driver already loaded.

FWIW my pen is stamped Lenovo and CCAH15LP1540T0. The inside is labeled Lenovo Active Pen 5T70K13856. Nowhere do I see a build date, nor do I see the GX model number except on my invoice from Amazon. I purchased my pen in April of 2016. I hate wasting money on a second pen, but I'll probably buy the Wacom pen if the Feel Driver doesn't help my situation.

EDIT: After posting this, I walked to the MS store a few blocks from my office to try out some competing pens on my Miix 700. Unfortunately, the Dynapad and others are no longer carried, however the Huawei MateBook was available as was its pen. The Matebook btw is gorgeous and incredibly light. The pen is very chunky and works great on the Matebook with a nice .5 inch of hover. On the Miix, however it has poor hover of 1-2mm. This makes me think that the issue is with the Miix and not with the various pens, which really sucks.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2016
  3. Sher The Love

Sher The Love Scribbler - Standard Member

I've used the GX version of the Lenovo pen and the Wacom Bamboo Smart. Both had pretty terrible hover and I didn't see any performance difference. I ended up returning the Miix today. Same issues, kept activating stuff on the screen when trying to write. Tried adjusting so the tip goes first, but didn't help much. Seems like there's also a delay until the palm rejection kicks in.

BB460 has no issues with any of the pens I've tried.

Edit: I did a quick test on my BB460. I uninstalled whatever Wacom program/driver was under "programs and features" in control panel. After a restart, the driver no longer showed up in programs and features, but I still had the Wacom options in the control panel. I went into services under administrative tools and stopped the "Wacom ISD service." After stopping this, I was no longer able to access the Wacom options in control panel and my hover distance did not change.

I'm not sure how reliable this is or if I did actually stop the Feel driver. If I did, it doesn't sound like the Feel driver update is going to help the hover distance on this thing. I read on the Lenovo forums that the 900S has a poor hover distance as well. Wonder if it's a high res screen thing or something else on their non Thinkpad devices. If anybody has any additional input or knows how to completely remove the feel driver from my 460, I can give it a try again.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jul 25, 2016
  4. jjsa1985

jjsa1985 Scribbler - Standard Member

I've got my pen on order but these latest reports about bad hover distance and pen experience have me worried. Does anybody have a theory on why there are such drastic differences in pen experience? Is it a tablet hardware problem? A driver or firmware? A particular batch may be? Where did you all buy the tablet from, and did it come with the pen? Did you have to install the pen firmware? If I get my pen and the hover is 1-2mm and not the 5-6/16 inch as some have said, do I return the pen, or the tablet, or do I have to mess around with software?

5. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Have you guys tried changing the batteries on your pens with really shallow hover distance? I can't say that this would make any difference but it's worth ruling out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Sher The Love

I got my first one from Fry's and returned due to a dead pixel and my second from Micro Center. The first one I tried the silo pen from my BB460 and the Wacom Bamboo Smart and the second I tried the silo pen from my BB460 and the Lenovo GX pen. I had to install the pen firmware on both devices and neither came with the pen. My experience draws me to the conclusion that it's the device. Other people might have a different experience.

One of the apps I use to markup PDFs won't let the pen write when text is selected and a majority of the time I put my hand down to write, it selected text. Deliberately putting the pen tip down first got very uncomfortable and wasn't natural because you have to get the tip so close for it to register without actually hitting the screen and causing marks. You might have a different experience, depending on the app and how you write. This is how hover distance has affected my use of the tablet. For the current sale price, it's still a great value if the pen performance isn't a deal breaker.

I never tried changing batteries. The pens always had an issue on the Miix and not the BB460, so I never really thought about it.

7. HDaddict

HDaddict Pen Pal - Newbie

Would someone please test the new RemixOS release based on Marshmallow 6.0 ?
    http://www.jide.com/remixos-for-pc#downloadNow

It would be great if it works on the miix, including touchscreen, wifi, bluetooth, audio. Also a quick battery test would be great, as some devices suffer from battery drain.

8. jjsa1985

jjsa1985 Scribbler - Standard Member

The only reason I even considered it is because of the pen. I so desperately want the pen to work well, because the micro center deal would be an incredible value if it does. If not, it will be going back. But I just want to make sure that it isn't something that can't be remedied somehow. Does the app you use need wintab drivers? I will be using the pen with onenote, and that can work without wintab, so may be there is hope for me yet. Can the dependence on wintab drivers affect hover diatance and palm rejection?

9. Sher The Love

I'm using Xodo from the Windows Store. I'm not that familiar with what needs Wintab and what doesn't, so I can't be much help in that regard.

I just tried OneNote. I can select text or a print out and once the pen hits the screen, it unselects and begins to ink, so it might not be that big of a deal unless your palm starts selecting things like the taskbar and switches program on you. I can't remember the device, but I had something for a short time a while back that had not so great hover and my palm would make the page zoom in and out. At least I didn't have that problem on this...

10. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

I would focus on OneNote and Drawboard. Drawboard for annotating PDFs and OneNote for almost everything else. Xodo has its limitations.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.