The Miix 700 is Lenovo's Surface killer

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by scoobie, Sep 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sher The Love

Sher The Love Scribbler - Standard Member

I picked up the $499 version yesterday. It is pen capable, but does not have a pen in the box. It does come with the keyboard (which I believe all these come with)

2. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Get the Wacom Bamboo AES pen. Also, don't forget to install the AES firmware from Lenovo's site otherwise it won't recognize the pen.

BTW, get the $400 version over the $500 and replace the 2280 M.2 SATA SSD yourself. Easy to do. 256GB 2280 M.2 SATA drives are going for around $80 these days.

3. Sher The Love

Sher The Love Scribbler - Standard Member

I used the mentality that you can always upgrade the SSD in the future if needed (128GB is personally fine for me). You can't upgrade from an m3 to m5. However, the performance difference is probably negligible, especially for what I'm using it for.

4. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

M5 does turbo clock several hundred MHz higher. I guess that a decent consideration...

5. jjsa1985

jjsa1985 Scribbler - Standard Member

Can anyone comment on how good the built-in mic is on these? I ask because I have been burned with so many devices that had terrible mics that weren't even suitable for Skype (Ativ 500, venue 11 pro, aspire switch 10). Could someone just use the audio recording app and speak as if you were video chatting with someone and comment? Or better yet, upload a sample? Thanks in advance.

6. Gloomba

Gloomba Pen Pal - Newbie

I just tested the microphone and it seemed to have decent quality. Nothing amazing, but clear enough.

I returned the first one I bought because the digitizer seemed to have trouble making straight lines with the stylus in certain spots on the screen. I got a replacement at Microcenter for $399 and the digitizer does work mostly better. But the trackpad on this keyboard usually doesn't register left or right clicks. If I click very firmly and in just the right spot it will work.... can I contact Lenovo about getting a replacement keyboard?

jjsa1985 likes this.
  7. jjsa1985

jjsa1985 Scribbler - Standard Member

8. tablie

tablie Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm looking into getting a miix 700 and I have several questions about charging:

1) Can we use a generic USB cable to charge the miix? If not, then where can get buy another cable (official an/or generic)?

2) Can we use a generic 5v/2.4amp charger? (as I understand the lenovo charger outputs 20v/2a and 5v/2a)

3) My laptop (dell xps13) has a 20v/2a usb-c charger. Can I use a usb-c-to-usb-a adapter to charge the miix? Conversely, can the miix charger + adapter be used to charge my laptop?

4) Does anyone know if lenovo's 40W travel adapter come with a cable? http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/itemdetails/GX20H34904/460/FB655FA7A2834E04AED9731463CD174E#GX20H34904

thanks!

Last edited: Jul 11, 2016
  9. sonus911

sonus911 Scribbler - Standard Member

Re question 1: Amazon and e Bay sell the special proprietary USB cables.

Re question 4: the cable is actually pictured (the electrical plug is built into the tiny brick). There is no difference between this and the charger that comes with the miix from what I can see.

10. Newcron

Newcron Pen Pal - Newbie

I finally decided to pull the plug and grab one of these. Besides the official pen, what would be the best (cheaper) alternative? I mostly need it for taking notes and making annotation.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.