The Miix 700 is Lenovo's Surface killer

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by scoobie, Sep 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

That's really neat. You must have drawn that often, @Shogmaster!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I dont think i ever tried to draw a storm trooper before. Vader a few times sure. I think this is an ironman drawing, which i do draw from time to time, that went sideways. :D

surfaceproartist likes this.
  3. sonus911

sonus911 Scribbler - Standard Member

Does anyone know how to enter Windows Recovery (and thus safe mode) without being able to boot into windows??

I need some help in doing so.

4. Shogmaster

Sorry. The first thing I did was to wipe the Lenovo Windows install. I don't even have the original SSD in there anymore.

You could always make a recovery USB from Windows install ISO from Microsoft.com and boot from the USB.

eltos_lightfoot likes this.
  5. BattleRoyale

BattleRoyale Pen Pal - Newbie

6. Sher The Love

Sher The Love Scribbler - Standard Member

I picked up an M3 version from Fry's (price matched Amazon for $518). From reading here, it sounds like the hover distance is dependent on the pen. I have the Yoga 460 BB version and have tried using the silo pen from their. The hover distance is pretty terrible on the Miix when using it (maybe 1-2mm) and somewhere between a little over a quarter inch on the 460. Has anybody else experienced the same thing? It sounded like it was more dependent on the pen, but it doesn't appear to be so in my case.

I really don't want to spend $50 on a new pen and not have that solve the issue. Thanks.

7. Sher The Love

The M3 version just dropped to $495 on Amazon. Has it been this cheap for a while? I just started looking for a tablet, so I'm not sure the price fluctuations. Seems like a really good deal, especially compared to Lenovo's website, which is $750

8. mathartist

mathartist Pen Pal - Newbie

FWIW, I [vehemently] disagreed that the hover distance had anything to do with the pen, (given that you were not using the very early version of the Lenovo Active Pen from Summer 2015, apparently).

I've spent time with the BB460, Thinkpad X1 Yoga (which I kept), HP Elite X2 1012, HP Spectre X2, Lenovo Miix 700, and also tried a couple of pens with the Toshiba Dynapad at the local Microsoft Store. The Spectre X2 and Miix 700 don't have the Wacom Pen Settings (don't support the Wacom Tablet PC drivers), and also have miserable hover distance compared to the rest of the bunch. The rest all have hover distances of about 1/4" - 3/8" using either the [newer] Lenovo pen or the HP pen (AES of course).

9. Sher The Love

Thanks. That clears things up a bit. In that case, it sounds like I'd be stuck with terrible hover distance on the Miix regardless of pen then.

I saw the X1 carbon (non yoga version) at Fry's. I was impressed by the size, weight, and 1440P screen. I like everything about the BB460 except the weight and low res screen. I started to spend a lot of time reading textbooks and the screen is starting to bother me. It's like looking at a low quality scanned PDF at times (using the Xodo app. Adobe seems to render text a bit better, but Xodo is the best for PDF inking I've found. Drawboard was good, but a recent update makes things more blurry than Xodo).

If I were to go with one device, I think it would be the X1 Yoga or the 900S, but haven't seen the 900S in store. Still undecided whether to sell the BB460 and grab one of those or keep the Miix and BB460 and do two devices. I would have to pick up the X1 refurbished or used though since new is out of my price range.

Also, the more I ink on the Miix, the less I like it. Seems to have trouble writing smaller. It's much easier to take notes on the bigger screen of the 460. Perhaps the X1 Yoga would be better than the 900S in that case.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2016
  10. Shogmaster

I don't get the obsession over hover distance frankly. Even a decent one doesn't prevent errand marks. Only smart software that only marks with the pen will do the job. I'll take Clip Studio Paint over giant hover distance any day of the week.

I also think Miix 700's hover distance easier to deal with than others with bigger distance because then I don't have to move the pen farther away to use multitouch UI with my fingers. Larger hover distance just makes it less convenient to use my fingers for multitouch.

Honestly, I have more fun drawing with my Miix 700 then my VAIO Z Canvas and Surface Pro 3 I use to have. When the Wacom Feel driver drops for this thing, this thing will become one of my favorite drawing tablets.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.