The Miix 700 is Lenovo's Surface killer

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by scoobie, Sep 2, 2015.

1. scoobie

scoobie Pen Pal - Newbie

Last edited: Sep 2, 2015
  2. jedah

jedah Pen Pal - Newbie

I finally pulled the trigger on a Surface 3, and now someone finally comes out w/ a viable alternative to either the SP3 or S3. The price is quite reasonable too. I hope this does well so
    1. More manufacturers have a device w/ a 3:2 aspect ratio.
    2. Lenovo stops shipping that awful keyboard dock they ship w/ the Thinkpad 10s and Helix 2.

3. soh5

soh5 Surface or Bust Senior Member

Woulda been a smart move on their part to include the rechargable pen that is going into the 260 and 460 Thinkpads.

Having a pen that is always available is what could have "differentiated" this between the Surface line.

Don't think it will be a surface killer, it pretty much clones the Surface line, and you know what they say... Imitation is the ultimate flattery.

4. FZelle

FZelle Scribbler - Standard Member

I just hope they also have a docking station for this.

5. cutterline

cutterline Scribbler - Standard Member

It would be interesting if they put wacom AES in it

In my mind it would go like this (Lenovo = L, Microsoft = MS)
    L= Hey, prick. How come you're in the hardware market as well? Not to mention N-trig..
    MS= Alright2, chill. I already gave Dell and HP the Surface Enterprise, so here's the deal. I'll give you the blueprint, you may rip off the model or whatever you want but you have to use Ntrig.
    L= Cool. Don't blame me later if I were to sell this more than your surface
    MS= No problem.
    Later on....
    L= Hehehe, screw those guys. Let's use wacom!

Bronsky likes this.
  6. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 Editor-in-Chief of TechAndTiny Senior Member

Last edited: Oct 8, 2015
  7. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

This is one of the most interesting devies for Surface 3 owners like me. I hope the keyboard and inking live up to their promise. It's larger than I want. I'm not crazy about the hinge either but if the Surface 4 isn't offered in a Core M version with full speed SSD, I will have to seriously consider one of these.

Starlight5 and bloodycape like this.
  8. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

Me too... but again it is too heavy =/ It is better than the HP Spectre 12 X2 which is 1.84 lbs., but Toshiba managed 1.6 lbs. at this screen size (12.5"@16:9 = 12"@3:2, area) last year with Broadwell Core M. It is disappointing not to see something closer to 1.5 lbs in these 12" Skylake machines.

The Core M based SP4 is actually a smidge lighter than this, and it has a case that was designed to hold a 15W processor.

ships10 and Bronsky like this.
  9. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

I wish they had thrown the trackpoint and dedicated button into the keyboard. That would make it particularly interesting to me.... :(

Starlight5 and Bronsky like this.
  10. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 Editor-in-Chief of TechAndTiny Senior Member

At this point, for me, the overall savings is compelling enough to take this over HP's and Dell's offerings. And unlike those, it has the closest Surface style form factor which is what I want. The differentiating feature, a wireless Surface-esque keyboard cover, is another winner in my book. Whether the m7-6Y75 model of the MIIX is actually higher performing than the m3 Surface Pro 4 and sufficiently cheaper than the i5 Surface Pro 4 offerings is what will kill or seal the deal for me.