The Mess That is Wintel

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by dstrauss, Jul 24, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

I think that's his point - the Lakefield big|little SOC is subpar right now - it's almost SHOCKING how stable and performant the m3 is in the SG2 compared to SPX ARM and early Lakefield tests - WTH?

2. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

With the anemic performance of the new SOC, they're better off cancelling the Neo and any low end device until the issue is resolved. The mighty M3 Go2 is the dominant device in this range anyway and looks to stay that way for the foreseeable future.

As far as the future, with the development of the Duo and the Samaung Fold, I suspect that small windows devices are doomed anyway. I would like to see the Go continue but how can it when you can unfold your phone to the same sized display. With the development of Office for Android and the potential for Windows to run from the cloud for the legacy applications, I can see a time when we get to a one device solution.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2020
    dstrauss likes this.
  3. desertlap

desertlap Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Yeah. I may not have been as clear as I intended. The results that Anandtech got with the Book S Lakefeild are terrible; even worse than the WOA version. We got similar results with our testing of the lakefield chipset (pentium silver levels at best case and often not even that)

Part of the issue and thus another reason they maybe have pulled the Neo back is that Windows is almost as unoptimized for a BIGlittle architecture as it could be. We did get somewhat better results with a highly customized build of linux, but even there not enough to find a use case for the chipset.

JoeS and dellaster like this.
  4. dstrauss

I agree with you @Bronsky - if the Duo 2 drops the stupid large bezels and hones that seam (I still think they can find a way to use an inside curved pair of screens to make a near continuous looking single screen) you will be very close to the mighty M3 Go2 (stealing your new tradename) screen size in a pocketable device. That might even be able to stand up to the Fold 3 with S Pen (well, it will be a tough call).

Bronsky likes this.
  5. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Just curious, would you be totally onboard with moving your apps and data to the cloud (and paying the monthly subscription of say $15/month) possibly...forever? Somehow my vision of 'the one device' wasn't one in which I was completely dependent on both an unlimited data plan and a subscription, and handing over control of my data, just to be able to run the OS.

I mean, it just feels like the wrong ending to the TPCR saga and journey. :p

Bishop, lovelaptops, dstrauss and 2 others like this.
  6. dstrauss

+1; and NO, will never agree to be dependent upon the cloud...

7. desertlap

desertlap Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

C'mon we know you really want to be part of the " In-cloud"....:)

Bishop, Chris_Kez and dstrauss like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.