The Mess That is Wintel

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by dstrauss, Jul 24, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Why in the sam h**l have we fought so hard to get unlocked phones and now Microsoft is going to play the rookie move with a carrier partner exclusive?

2. dellaster

dellaster Creatively Talentless Senior Member

I upgraded to the Icon briefly after leaving AT&T and their 920. Alas one could only get used/refurb models by that date and mine came with the worst burn-in I have seen since green phosphor kiosk CRTs in the ‘80s. :eek:

After the refund I gave up on Windows Phone and I think I got a cheap Galaxy S3 from Walmart for a while before returning to Apple’s peaceful garden. :thumbsup:

3. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

4. dstrauss

[​IMG]

And I'll KEEP BEATING IT - Microsoft only cares about Office 365 and Azure at this point, and those numbers PROVE they are hanging their hats on the cloud - BECAUSE - why should they care HOW you get there as long as you are using their software and cloud. What that means for us peons is continue to suffer update misery and

[​IMG]

followed by

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 27, 2020
  5. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

This forum is getting more grim by the minute :eek: Somebody better launch some cool new gadget ASAP

6. dstrauss

7. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Not sure if that kind of 'gadget' was what @JoeS had in mind :p, but in honor of his valiant attempts at remaining positive, let me try to see the possible upside:

Since Windows Cloud PC would allow offloading the entire x86 baggage train, customers will naturally gravitate to the thinnest, lightest, and longest lasting devices. That would be a natural fit for WOA devices, so this move will accelerate OEMs into a new era of sleek Windows tablets and 2-in-1s.

But in honor of @dstrauss determined stream of extra-cloudy news, here's the possible downside:

If Windows is in the cloud, why buy a Windows device at all? Just get an iPad Pro and enjoy x86 app streaming and the full breadth of the mobile-optimized iOS library. Result: OEMs don't see a point in investing in new WOA devices, when users just gravitate to their existing phones/tablets as thin clients, and the Windows tablet market languishes.

So between the two extremes, how do you guys see MS playing their cards?

Will they debut Windows Cloud on WOA first, to at least give it a fighting chance to survive in the new ARM PC age? Or will they go full 'OS agnostic', meaning of course that Apple devices gets first dibs on support, while their own WOA and Android get the second-class cabin on the train to the future? ;)

Steve S likes this.
  8. dstrauss

Yes and Yes...

And I am certain on item 2 because who else spends MORE on apps than Apple users? Who else is more likely to latch on to another subscription? A win-win for Apple (30%) and Microsoft (subscriptions + 70%).

Marty likes this.
  9. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

So does this mean that I can run Windows remotely on whatever OS I'm using and run my legacy programs from within that cloud based program?

dstrauss likes this.
  10. desertlap

desertlap Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

@Marty and @dstrauss . There maybe something to all of this. MS has already realized that the days of an OS in and of itself being a primary revenue driver are definitely in the rearview mirror. Heck Windows is the only OS that tries at least a minimal level to charge for upgrades.

Maybe the end game is be officially "device/OS neutral" So it allows them to start stepping away from the "OS" while not alienating their OEMS enough that they stop producing windows devices and/or jump ship to something else. (though honestly there aren't any real choices there especially since Apple isn't sharing).

So now should we talk about Bill Gates being a part of the Iluminati :cool::D:eek:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.