The Mess That is Wintel

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by dstrauss, Jul 24, 2020.

1. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

I was going to call this thread "The Mess that is Microsoft" but it's not all their fault. However, I would like to see us all dump our dumps on Microsoft and Intel in this thread in the hopes of NOT continuing to pollute our hardware specific threads with these rants of mine and others...so here goes nothing:

"We've root caused the issue, and believe there are no fundamental roadblocks," Swan said. "But we've also invested in contingency plans to hedge against further schedule uncertainty. We've mitigated the impact of the process delay on our product schedule by leveraging improvements in design methodology, such as die disaggregation and advanced packaging." ZDNet - Intel's 7nm Products Delayed

This is a direct quote from Intel CEO Bob Swan - my layman's translation - just like the move to 10nm, we f'd up and so we'll add another "Lake" or two to the timeline, just like we did with "Haswell," until we can get our s**t together.

nnthemperor, Chris_Kez and Marty like this.
  2. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

And today, Intel's stock was down over 15% and AMD's up by a similar amount.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2020
    dstrauss likes this.
  3. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

4. RT545

RT545 Scribbler - Standard Member

5. dstrauss

Nadella, Gates, and Shaw (Intel CEO) console Panos...

[​IMG]

If you really wanted ARM-like blazing performance, you should have taken that Apple gig...

6. dstrauss

Good grief - and that's with AN iPAD PRO PROCESSOR. The rumor mill must be true - the first ASi (Apple Silicon) Mac is going to be the Pro 13 - can you imagine what the A14z customized for laptop use will do? They better be ready to shutter Intel Mac sales quickly, and MS may as well shutter the WOA experiment...

Chris_Kez likes this.
  7. dstrauss

You two got me rolling...

Bishop likes this.
  8. Chris_Kez

Chris_Kez Reformed Lumia Fan

[mention]Bishop [/mention] [mention]dstrauss [/mention] The Lumia 920 should have been on all carriers; it would have done much better. And then had the best parts of the 925 (GSM) and the 928 (CDMA) been combined into a single unlocked global device it really would have done well. It also would have been great if the 930 had actually come to US carriers; that was the best of the bunch and my favorite Windows Phone. The whole “premier” partner thing with AT&T was a sad joke; and the idea of releasing a business/prosumer device without Verizon is just nuts.[mention]nnthemperor [/mention]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dstrauss likes this.
  9. Bishop

Bishop Keeper of Odd Knowledge Senior Member

My favorite was the Lumia Icon, a Verizon specific version of the 929. Dazzling screen, great battery, amazing camera.

[​IMG]

Chris_Kez, dellaster and desertlap like this.
  10. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

agreed except for that ugly Verizon logo on the upper left

JoeS and Bishop like this.