The Long Awaited Paper vs EA800 Review

Discussion in 'Asus (Android)' started by thescreensavers, Sep 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thescreensavers

thescreensavers Pen Pal - Newbie

From receiving my EA800, to three weeks of use in my classes, here are my thoughts on the EA800 versus Paper.

As soon as I started writing with the EA800 I realized you have to pick the pen up a tad higher than you normally would on paper (my writing style). Since the Wacom pen is still communicating with the screen (Cursive would be best, as you do not lift the pen!), once you write enough with the EA800 this problem is no longer exists

The EA800 requires a tad more concentration then paper. Good Calibration means A LOT when writing. (Tip: Open up a new note and select Graph Paper. Then draw Circles around the intersections on the corners and center of the screen see how far off the calibration is)

Writing Quickly - This was a big question for me, as I write rather quickly and so do most people when taking notes. After a short learning curve I have no problem at all writing as fast as I can. The EA800 does not miss anything and has ZERO lag.

As you get used to the Device and writing on a screen you do not need to concentrate as much but I’d say you still need a little more concentration on writing than paper.

There is less writing space than a normal 8x11 sheet of paper, this at first was a tad annoying but after writing some more, it does not bother me and I accommodate to the screen, basically it is manageable. If I know the problem will not fit on the current page, just add another page :)

Screen: As long as there is some ambient light,(which does not need to be a whole lot) the EA800 is very readable, it lights up nicely(defiantly not like a gameboy color). Paper obviously can be used in lower light situations but the EA800 is not too far off.

The EA800 can copy and paste selections as well as Undo and Erase, on paper you can only erase (duh: P)

The EA800 can upload to Evernote. The Upload time to Evernote depends on your Internet connection but it’s pretty quick and painless. I love this feature.

SP-50 Pen (Stock Pen)(1 week experience)
    This pen was too skinny for me otherwise it wrote well, and it has no eraser on it.

L Series Pen (2-week experience)

This pen is a much better fit then the SP-50(for me), but the L Series pen has a small issue(after placing it down and starting to write again the EA800 sometimes might not record the first letter) but other then that its a great pen.

Having the eraser is not as big as I originally thought. Having to flip the pen and erase then flip back is actually more time consuming then just quickly tapping Undo when writing notes. (My Teachers do not erase very much)

The Bottom line

Overall writing on the EA800 after the small learning curve is great and just like paper. If for some reason my EA800 gets destroyed, I WILL be buying a new one as it’s that good! "It is like writing with a smooth pen on a pocket of Gel ink at the tip"

2. MasterKuni

MasterKuni Pen Pal - Newbie

I've been considering this device for a little while now, but I was hoping it would handle PDFs better since almost all of my classes provide lectures in PDF format. I haven't read very many good things about it other than its Wacom inking capabilities.

I might wait until the Thinkpad Tablet is a little cheaper, or wait for another device altogether in a few years.

3. sarah11918

sarah11918 Pen Pal - Newbie

How exactly do you need to handle them? If it's just reading them, following along, I find it handles pdfs very well. You can zoom in and the pan feature is very slick for moving around the document quickly and easily. (Much more so than the Entourage Edge, for example, that doesn't handle this well at all on the e-ink side.)

If you mean annotate them, then you're right, it doesn't handle as well as one would hope, because the annotations only show up at a certain zoom level. But even then, it's not bad. It depends more on how you want to access these files again. If you only ever care about re-reading them on the Eee Note, as you would flip through a spiral notebook, then again, I don't think it handles that badly. (We've mentioned on other threads that you can zoom in, annotate, then when you zoom back out to 100%, make another annotation to remind yourself of the zoom level of the annotation you just made.) So it really does depend on exactly how you intend to use the device.

And again, depending on how you need to re-access/use the files, you can do things like zoom in, take a snapshot of a partial page, import that snapshot into a note and annotate there, then send to Evernote. So for example, if you didn't mind "slicing" up pages into smaller sections, you can have annotated sections of your pages in Evernote very easily, like smaller flashcards or something.

I'm not saying it's perfect by any stretch of the imagination, but I don't think there's much else out there at this price that works much better. Right now the Motion Computing CL900 and Fujitsu Q550 are probably the next level up of machine for these functions; they are significantly more expensive, and neither one of them receives particularly awesome reviews. Neither of them would likely be the kind of "instant-on", auto-save device the Eee Note is, and neither of them would be as light weight. So I still think there's a lot to be said for the Eee Note.

I am curious, though, to see how the Samsung Galaxy Note will handle pdf functions. It's a smaller screen, but it might feel bigger than it actually is. And, my Nokia N810 running Xournal handles pdfs extremely well (just on a tiny, resistive screen). If that kind of experience is well recreated, then I could see that device maybe being a possible replacement for the Eee Note. And if the device is successful, maybe one of the future Galaxy Tabs will incorporate the S-pen. We're still talking a lot more money than the Eee Note, though, which is one reason why I think the Eee Note stands up well to competition.

4. orenelwin

orenelwin Pen Pal - Newbie

Haven't heard the Note would be capable of handling pdf docs. If so, that's really great. But it would be available a few months later, right?

5. sarah11918

sarah11918 Pen Pal - Newbie

I haven't heard about the Note and pdfs either, one way or the other. What it does appear to do, though, is be able to annotate any screen capture (full or partial). What I don't know is what kind of file this produces (.png? .jpg?) nor how this file can be used.

I'm *hoping* that the use of a stylus will mean they've thought about business users who might need to sign documents. That is one situation where a simple screen capture of a certain portion of the document isn't acceptable, since the entire document needs to be reproduced with a signature.

So no, I've heard nothing one way or the other, but I'm curious about whether they've thought to include a feature like that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.