The iPad 2 is perfect for artist/designers

Discussion in 'Artists' started by sketchyd, Jul 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sketchyd

sketchyd Pen Pal - Newbie

I got an iPad 2 about a week ago. I bought it for these reasons: to draw, take notes, find inspiration, and keep track of my todos. And I have to say the iPad 2, does all of these exceptionally well! Im floored at how good the iPad 2 is. Im glad I didnt buy the similarly priced HTC flyer.

If you are an artist/designer yourself and have been on the fence about getting an iPad 2, feel free to ask me questions.

2. sketchyd

sketchyd Pen Pal - Newbie

My list of must-have apps for artist/designers:

1. ArtStudio
    This is a PAID app that is good for drawing and painting. It has layer features, brush features, and more. There is the eyedropper tool for selecting color. Personally, I prefer it more than Sketchbook Pro.

2. Bamboo Paper
    This is a FREE app, great for simple doodles and simple notes. You get only 1 notebook, 3 pen sizes, 6 colors, but it is bloody easy to use. Here are some sketch examples using bamboo paper:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Noteshelf
    This is a PAID app, its an amazing notetaking tool. I use this for taking handwritten notes, it cannot do text notes. It has multiple notebook styles to choose from and multiple pen colors. The ability to zoom in to the text is great for writing. Here is an example of writing with and without the zoomed in view:

4. Moodboard
    Another PAID app, this is an amazing tool to create moodboards or inspiration boards. You can bring in pictures you took from the photo library, or you can eshelfuse the built in browser in the moodboard app to search for images and directly place them into the app!

5. SimpleMind+
    This is a great app for jotting down your thoughts into mind maps. Its meant to be used to create and see the connections. But I often see myself using it as a to-do list and visualizing everything I need to do, and how it connects with my main goal. Tasks versus goals kinda thing.

Btw,
    Ill do a short 5 minute review/walkthrough of each app later this week.

3. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I've seen someone paint a portrait on a grain of rice once. Impressed, but didn't inspire me to start painting on rice...

Frankly, the omission of an Active digitizer is a sin I cannot forgive for an artist's tool.

Yes, I have tried it to sketch. Yes, It's responsive. Yes it's convenient. Yes it's great in all aspects EXCEPT FOR THE FACT THAT THERE IS NO WAY FOR ME TO EXPRESS THICK TO THIN OF MY LINES without resorting to lame velocity curve. More the reason it's a tragedy that an Android tablet with a Wacom digitizer is still not available.

4. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I completely agree with Shogmaster. But I'd add the even greater benefit of having an active digitizer is the hovering/tracking and overall superior accuracy.

And then having a small pen nib......trying to draw on an ipad with one of those fat sponge/rubber/foam/whatever stylus's is just horrid.

When the Ipad came out there was a huge "Great for artists" period where artists where chiming in left and right with their ipad masterpieces......yeah....that died down quite a bit after a little while.

From what I've gathered....almost every Artist who made the "Ipad is great for artists" claim...appear to be traditional artists who have no never used a proper graphics tablet, and their first exposure to digital art is an ipad. Not to gang up on you sketchyd...but the Ipad's art capabilities are frankly ancient compared to an active digitizer tablet. Its just so trying to see people make such a big fuss about something that's overall inferior to fairly old tech.

5. neverheart1xx

neverheart1xx Pen Pal - Newbie

i hate to butt in your forum with questions of my own but im afraid i cant seem to figure out how to start a forum. ive been drawing since i can remember and thats what I hope to be doing in the future as well. A few years back my parent bought be a tablet to plug in to the computer because i had been wanting a way to color my drawings digitally and i loved it. but i really want something i can use on the go that will still give me great perfomance. ive been reading a lot of discussions on this site but i still cant decide what to buy. i want a great tablet pc that can run the newest versions of sketchbook pro and coral painter, but then again i used my brothers ipad 2 just for fun and i loved how easy it was (i did the painting below with inspire pro). i know that a tablet pc is probably better for a serious artist so i guess i just need to know what the best is at a reasonable price. i dont have much money but im willing to wait to puchase until i have enough, if the product is worth it. what are my best options for great running and great portability?

also ive noticed that people recommend slates and such tablets for artist, but those dont have an optical drive do they?

Attached Files:

6. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

"lso ive noticed that people recommend slates and such tablets for artist, but those dont have an optical drive do they?"

They do if you attach one to the USB port :)

7. neverheart1xx

awesome! would you prefer them to tablet pcs?

8. PhotoMuis

PhotoMuis Scribbler - Standard Member

Whether you prefer a slate or convertible tabletPC is, quite simply, a personal preference :) If you use a keyboard frequently, for example if you do a lot of other computer stuff besides drawing, you might prefer a convertible. If you rarely use the keyboard, you'd be happy with a slate and can use a Bluetooth keyboard or USB keyboard whenever you do need one. And like excalibur said, you can use external optical drives, but if you constantly use the optical drive on-the-go, you might prefer a built-in one instead of carrying a separate one with you all the time. Or you can go with e.g. the Fujitsu range (T4410/T5010, T730/T900/T901) etc. where you have a bay where you can slide in either a second battery or an optical drive (or an additional hard disk) depending on what you need that day.

But to give you tips more tailored to your needs, we'll need you to fill out the form that you can find in this thread:

http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/wha...ld-i-buy-form-must-filled-out-post-forum.html

There are just too many variables to give a general recommendation for "great running and great portability", e.g. if you are used to something like an iPad, you might find a 12 inch convertible very big and heavy, but if you are coming from a 17 inch laptop like I was, you'll find it light and extremely portable :)

9. neverheart1xx

General Questions.

1. What is your budget? Not very high. At least under 1,000 but preferably closer to 500

2. Would you consider purchasing used/refurbished? Yes, if its in good condition

3. Do you prefer a Slate, Convertible or Ultra Mobile PC (UMPC)? Either slate or convertible. Slate catches my interest more just because it looks much lighter, easier, and more portable. But my parents are helping me buy this for school also so a convertible might be better.

4. What size Tablet PC would you prefer?
    Small and light ~ 5" to 8.9"
    Compact ~ 10"
    Mainstream ~ 12.1" mainstream
    Large ~ 13.3" or large

5. Which country do you intent to purchase from? USA I suppose

6. Do you have any preferences to brand loyalty or dislikes? Not particularly

7. How many hours battery life do you require? The more the better. I love the battery life on the Ipad 2

8. What will be the primary usage scenario of this tablet? (Email/Web Surfing/Drawing/Word Processing/Entertainment/Notetaking etc). Art and school, but I’m mostly buying for some serious art.

9. Do you have an OS preference? …yeah I don’t even know what that is… sadly I’m not very technologically incline

10. What software and tasks do you intend to run? (Microsoft Office or other Word Processing Suite/Photoshop/3D Studio Max/Autocad etc) Microsoft office and such, photoshop, coral painter, sketchbook pro, exc…

10. Do you intend on playing Games? If so please list. Possibly but its not my priority

Screen Specifics

1. What resolution do you prefer?
    XGA - 1024x768 ~ large and easy to read text and graphic icons but you fit less on the screen.
    SXGA - 1400x1050 ~ Small text and graphic icons which require good vision but the gain is a much larger screen. (no longer available new, must look for used or refurbished machines)
    WXGA - 1280x768 ~ has a wider usable area than XGA, ideal for viewing Spreadsheets and other programs that require desktop space. The mainly used resolution for new tablet PCs since 2008. XGA or WXGA. Whichever is better for the software I want to run

2. Do you require the screen to be readable in sunlight? I would prefer it if I were to want to draw outside, but I guess its not a huge deal
    See the above linked FAQ for guidance

3. Do you prefer your display to be glossy or matte? Umm….I’m not actually sure of the difference…

4. Do you require Touch? (without pressure sensitivity) (Which one: resistive or capacitive) touch yes. Pressure sensitive preferably. Resistive or capacitive…. don’t know the difference

5. Do you require a Pen? (with pressure sensitivity) (Which one: Wacom or N-Trig) yes. and yes. Ive heard good things about wacom so I guess that would be nice, but whatever works really.

Component Specifics

1. What size Hard Drive and Memory do you require? As much as possible

2. Do you require an Optical (CD/DVD) Drive to be built in? not particularly, as long as I could plug one in if needed.

3. Do you require ability to add a second Battery or Hard Drive (Modular Bay technology)? It might be nice but its not a deal breaker

Misc
    1. Other non specific items ~ please add other items you require not covered above? If it’s a slate, 3g wifi might be nice but its not a huge deal.

2. Additional requests ~ anything other you wish to take into consideration?

10. PhotoMuis

PhotoMuis Scribbler - Standard Member

O dear, forgot to tell you to start a new thread with this questionnaire, as the usual bunch of people who reply to the "what should I get"-questions will not necessarily take a look at an "the ipad is perfect for artists" thread and will thus not see your question... OK, I'll give it a go, perhaps you haven't bought anything yet...

To get a good overview of the differences and advantages/disadvantages of different types of tabletPCs, and to understand the questions re. the type of touch technology etc., read this thread:

http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/wha...ll-you-ever-wanted-know-about-tablet-pcs.html

Now to get back to your questionnaire... OS means Operating System, i.e. Windows, Mac OSX, Linux, Android etc. If you want to run Photoshop and the rest of the programs you mentioned, you need a tabletPC that runs a full Windows, the current version is Windows 7.

The usual tablets recommended to artists here by other artists are from HP, Lenovo and Fujitsu. In particular the HP Elitebook 2730p, 2740p (older models) and the newer HP 2760p. In the Lenovo camp there is the Thinkpad x200t, x201t and x202t, again with the first two numbers being the older ones. With Fujitsu there is the older T4410 (12 inch) or T5010 (13 inch), or their newer versions the T730 or T900. There is also a new T901 but that is still way above your budget.

Most of the older models I mentioned can be had refurbished for within your price range, I know especially Fujitsu has good deals in the USA. The newest models will be outside your budget for the time being, but the older ones are still quite excellent and will more than meet your needs. You'll just need some patience to hunt for the really good deals online. Those are all convertibles, if you want a slate, take a look at the Asus EP121, it is within the upper end of your budget, but it is a "full computer" with Windows 7, instead of having a scaled-down operating system like the entertainment tablets (iPad, Galaxy tab, etc.). You won't get the kind of battery life that the iPad has on any tabletPC that runs a full operating system. But you get much more performance.

Among the convertibles there are options for getting longer battery life, such as slice batteries with the HPs (if I remember correctly, don't have one myself) to add to the bottom, it makes it a bit thicker but makes it last longer on those days when you are not close to a power plug, or with the Fujitsus there is the mobile bay for sliding in an extra battery (a feature I absolutely love).

Read this thread for a comparison of one model of each of these 3 manufacturers, a lot of the things said there applies to the other model numbers I mentioned too, as the basic designs stayed pretty much the same and mainly things like processors and RAM-quantity etc. were updated in the newer models:

http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/wha...su-t730-vs-lenovo-x201-users-perspective.html

All of them come with different choices of screens, the details vary a bit, but roughly it boils down to a standard "indoor" screen or a better and brighter "outdoor" screen, if possible get one of the outdoor ones, they are usually a tad more expensive than the standard ones but usually also have better viewing angles than the standard ones, which is important from an artist's point of view.

OK, I hope that started you off, if you do a bit of research on those and still have questions about the pros and cons of the individual ones, fill out the questionnaire again, but updated based on what you have found out, and with mention of what you are seriously considering and what you have discarded already, then perhaps some of the other users who have owned more of the different models (I only have experience with a Fujitsu T4410) will chime in and help you further.

To start a new thread with such questions, go to the "What TabletPC should I buy" part of the forum, you can find it here:

What Tablet PC Should I Buy?

Then scroll down to below the other questions and press "new thread".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.