The "I Dstrauss'd my SP3" thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by spinedoc77, Jun 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spinedoc77

spinedoc77 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Yeah after my disappointment with the SP3 I realized there is NO true "one" device and there probably won't be for a long time.

Looks at man bag: You don't find it hard to do your duty?
    Man bag: Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to.
    We may not be able to go home...

Last edited: Jul 10, 2014
    dstrauss and johnchad14 like this.
  2. SAM 2013

SAM 2013 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The ultimate device would be something where you could
    re-size the screen/shape of the computer.
    fold it out to a full sized laptop, reduce it to a pocket sized tablet,
    have weeks long battery life, and

3. spinedoc77

spinedoc77 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

EXACTLY! That's why I have such high hopes for foldable screens. Not this curved crap that's out now, but a truly foldable screen. That will be the next evolution IMO.

4. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Waiting for George Jetson, are you?

Osiris and SAM 2013 like this.
  5. Osiris

Osiris Scribbler - Standard Member

I dare say the curved displays are an avant-garde for the return of rolllable displays which will try to go for mainstream before we see foldable ones.

Mesosphere likes this.
  6. dstrauss

What was once old becomes new again, could this be "prior art" for patent trolls...

isaiah-scroll.jpg

7. be77solo

be77solo Scribbler - Standard Member

I've been surprised how much I've enjoyed the SP3's screen size/ratio. That along with the light weight and thin size have me no longer searching for the next best 8". For me, the SP3 is my 80% go to device to get stuff done or simply consume.

For my gear setup, its the GS60 (15", under 4lbs, powerful dedicated GPU, full keyboard and 3/4" thick), SP3 and Samsung Note 3. Can't really see a 2 device scenario for me. No need for a desktop but at times need more than the low voltage i5 as good as it is can muster. All this still fits comfortably in a bag.

My biggest hope is the i7 SP3 helps with the SP3's downgrade in performance... if that's the case and they finally fix the WiFi nonsense, I'll be one happy puppy.

8. dstrauss

Can't overstate how committed I have become to a two device solution.

Since I'm not much of a gamer, nor do I edit RAW photos on a regular basis, the i5 in my Surface Pro 3 is probably overkill for what I do. The only remaining question here is 256GB vs 512GB (I would kill for an i5/512GB option just to be safe). Once the docks ship, I will have the ultimate desktop solution for a productivity only user.

Couple that with a phablet, I'll have it licked. What I really wonder about at this point is whether there will be a Surface phablet in the near term that can use my SPro 3 pen, or if I really need to choose between GN 4 (and Wacom) or just stay in the Apple walled garden with the iPhone 6x (5.5") since I have a lot of software there already. A secondary consideration is whether either Samsung or Apple will finally let you set a "tablet mode" in their phablets so you can choose to use the full tablet version of apps versus always being stuck with the "mobile" versions - for example, Mobile Office SUCKS compared to Office for iPad. The ultimate deciding factor could be in Microsoft's hands - if they bring inking to the Android version of OneNote, then the decision is made for me - time to leave the iOS universe!

9. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

I wonder if your current docking solution is better than the dock... That way you can still use the kickstand writing angle to note while you work. MS should really implement that power-brick dock that another user mentioned.

As for the surface phone, I kind of doubt it will be soon enough to wait on (particularly with your update cycle lifetime =P).

10. mgerbasio

mgerbasio Scribbler - Standard Member

I have a couple of VMs I need to run so the 512gb solution is my choice. It shows my ship date as 8/31 and if you try to pre-order, it shows as "out of stock". Sounds like they're having trouble getting the drive. From the CEO's letter this week, I wouldn't be surprised if we see inking on the next round of WP in the fall/winter. Phablets aren't for me, I like having a 8" tablet that fits in my back pocket of my jeans and a Surface for productive work, looking forward to getting the SP3. I'm a mobile field worker and keep all my reference material and job information on the 8" (actually both) so I don't need to carry any manuals or even a notepad now.

Apple is nice for a personal device but not productive for my work. I organize my device with all files in a folder for a project and all project in a work folder, pretty common. I don't want to fiddle around with trying to figure out what app I used to load a document on my ipad. I tried several ipads and they just didn't work out. It's either Windows or Android in my work world. Right now, I vote Windows with my wallet as their devices make me more productive, six months ago, I would have never guessed I'd switch from Android to Windows.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.