The HP Spectre x2 12 (2015) Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by sonichedgehog360, Oct 7, 2015.

1. duqtito81

duqtito81 Pen Pal - Newbie

No clean install, and also only showing calculating. I'm trying to recall if it's ever worked and want to say that it has not. I have a CTO model.

2. raduque

raduque Pen Pal - Newbie

I have been going back and forth with HP support on twitter - I'm doing the manual battery calibration, not that it will help. I read somewhere else that it's disabled in the BIOS, which means it will never show a runtime, and Battery Bar Pro will never show details on the charge/discharge rate.

Edit: I am probably going to return the machine. 3 times now waking out of sleep the speakers, all 4 of them, have emitted a NASTY screeching noise for about 20 seconds as soon as the power comes on.

Shame, because it's a well built machine, performance is excellent and I LOVE the keyboard and LTE.

3. John Prado

John Prado Pen Pal - Newbie

So Konig-Wolf do you have any updates for us? I would love to here about your potential portable battery solution.

4. MSGaldenzi

MSGaldenzi Scribbler - Standard Member

A screech would suck. Mine makes the usual "pop" noise upon waking up and that is enough to annoy the heck out of me.

I really hate how bad the speakers are in general though. If there is any ambient noise the speakers really can't keep up. I always try to use this in the kitchen when cooking or doing the dishes and get disappointed every time. I have to put on my bluetooth headphones, which are probably better anyway, but still...

5. hootenanny

hootenanny Pen Pal - Newbie

I don't know if I'm happy or not to find out that it's not just my unit that has really quiet speakers. Definitely good to know, though, thanks for the report.

Anyone able to confirm any of my other issues:

* The presence of a BIOS update F11 in the HP Support Assistant that can't be installed (I'm on F6).

* Auto brightness not being present in display settings.

6. MSGaldenzi

As for the speakers, I find that if I restart the sound is good until it either sleeps or hibernates... haven't figured out which one affects the sound. As for auto brightness, I pretty much always keep it off via the power management settings anyway... so not sure what to tell you on that front. As for the bios, if you DL it from the hp site directly you can update the bios. I think I did that when I first got it... can't exactly remember.

7. ElCamino

ElCamino Pen Pal - Newbie

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just got around to installing the BIOS update to F11 and had no issues. Also updated the Bluetooth and no issues. The Miracast update failed and there was another one that failed, can't remember what it was.

I do have the adaptive display in thrower options, but I dont remember reading that the Specter x2 has the sensor? I haven't checked so I could be wrong.

Also before when I first got the Spectra x2, the battery would show percentage and how many hours left. After the first update that I installed from HP, it now always show calculating.

8. MSGaldenzi

Someone else had mentioned that as well on a different forum... Maybe I didn't update my bios because you are not the first I have heard with that issue.

9. MSGaldenzi

I noticed that through the regular windows 10 updates there was a driver for the HD 515 last night. It seems to fix some of the crashing of google chrome. I have been using the x2 all morning and have not had it crash once.

Also what do you guys have the scaling set to? I recently changed it to 125% vs the 150% factory settings and like it quite a bit, even though everything is fairly small. Makes tablet use harder though... so I am just not sure if I will stick with it.

10. hootenanny

hootenanny Pen Pal - Newbie

Strangely, I just tried installing the BIOS update F11 again, and it worked this time, even though it didn't work the previous 5 times.

Damn, I guess clean install breaks the adaptive display brightness. I already have all updated drivers installed according to HP Support Assistant. I guess that should be probably considered a concrete downside for clean installing.