The HP Spectre x2 12 (2015) Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by sonichedgehog360, Oct 7, 2015.

1. zeek

zeek Scribbler - Standard Member

I did some searching. I can't find much definitive information about the lt4114 modem other than the Spectre X2 product specs on HP's web site that states "Network interface - HP lt4114 LTE 4G Module for use on the Verizon LTE network". This doesn't say it will ONLY work on Verizon but it seems to imply that. This is also confirmed by the following thread from the HP Support Forum - http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Window...0dx-Mobile-Broadband-Not-Working/td-p/4765724. Read it through until the end. Seems like you are out of luck using it other than on the Verizon network. To be certain, I would contact HP support for confirmation.

Another option might be to buy a different HP modem that is supported on T-Mobile and replace the lt4114 one with it. You would have to feel comfortable opening the laptop but it should work provided you use the right drivers.

2. Konig-Wolf

Konig-Wolf Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello,

Sorry for my delayed reply. With my T-Mobile SIM card, I went into the T-Mobile store, got the plan and the card. Inserted the card, and when I did, the system immediately showed the T-Mobile network with full signal. Tried connecting, but the x2 wouldn't connect. Went over to the rep, and the rep said, "it can take a couple of hours for the SIM to become active. Give it some time, and come back tomorrow if it isn't working."

So, I waited overnight, turned my machine back on, used the Control Panel to update the settings for the connection, and that was all it took. Connected up to T-Mobile, and I went and browsed some external websites to be sure. I was then able to go to the T-Mobile store, and switch my plan over to the free plan with pay-as-you-go data.

3. hootenanny

hootenanny Pen Pal - Newbie

What do you mean used the Control Panel to update the settings for the connection?

Can you check under Device Manager and confirm you also have an HP lt4114 LTE 4G Module? Mine seems to be using a Microsoft driver, 10.0.10586.

So you have it active now on the 200MB free plan with pay as you go if you need more?

Also, what do you have under Cellular for the APN? Yours just configured itself for that right?

4. Konig-Wolf

For the settings update, I viewed the connection in the control panel, went to the "Advanced options" under the connection itself, and then clicked "Update Settings" under the Mobile operator settings section.

I have the same LTE model as you, though I am using a different Microsoft driver (10.0.10240.16392).

I have the device on the pay as you go plan; it does not have the 200mb per month however, as it's not an iPad or Android device.

As for the APN settings, I use the ones located here:

https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-2090

I hope this helps.

5. zeek

zeek Scribbler - Standard Member

Interesting. Sounds like Tmobile is using some of the same frequency bands as Verizon (at least in your geo area).

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

6. Konig-Wolf

I'll try and get a prepaid card and toss some data on my device in the near future, and double-check that things are 100% okay. I don't have any data right now, but using just the T-Mobile connection, I was able to reach my MIM Site, browse the T-Mobile site, and login to my T-Mobile account and manage it.

I've also got some more stuff coming for the x2 soon, that I'm going to try and use with it, and see if it works. I'll report back with my findings.

7. hootenanny

hootenanny Pen Pal - Newbie

Weird, I wonder why your driver is different than mine.

When I click the Update Settings button, it just returns instantly and says the Last sync was on and sets it to the current time. It seems like from how instantaneously it's returning it's not actually checking for any updates at all.

Did you manually enter in the APN? That's the one I entered in manually as well (fast.t-mobile.com).

8. Konig-Wolf

I've been keeping up with the driver updates HP has been pushing out; I haven't used any others.

I manually put in the APN, just like you.

9. magnum2107

magnum2107 Scribbler - Standard Member

I had a T300 chi for awhile. I kept it until the Micro USB port broke and bricked the whole system. I had Asus fix it and then sold it. I got tired of having to use the micro usb dongle and after picking up a Surface 3 while I waited for it to get fixed, I got hooked on it.

I'll give you that it was decent for what is now a sub $400 device, and if you own it, maybe it makes sense to just keep it versus getting something else. But all that said, there is no way it runs circles around the current devices we are talking about. It's heavier (with the keyboard). I would be surprised if its old core m processor matched the processing speed of even a core m3 new gen processor, and it has absolutely no chance against a core m7 or any core i5/i7 devices. It has worse battery performance than all of the new devices, at least in my experience. It generated a lot of heat. It's also awkwardly long with its aspect ratio, as you pointed out. The T300 only wins on budget, and even then I'd probably lean towards a Surface 3.

I was really excited about the T300 Chi. I anxiously awaited its release once it was announced and bought it as soon as it was available. Had it never broke, maybe I wouldn't have ever started looking for a replacement. Now that I've tried the current crop, I would have a tough time going back unless I just had to budget wise.

10. ElCamino

ElCamino Pen Pal - Newbie

I originally had the m3 Spectre and had tried the AT&T SIM card. It would show up but trying to have it connect to the AT&T network would never work. It said something no network. Now I have the m7 Spectre and will give it a try with the AT&T SIM card just in case something is different. I am using a Verizon SIM card that I had and works great.