The HP Spectre x2 12 (2015) Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by sonichedgehog360, Oct 7, 2015.

1. CoolManny

CoolManny Pen Pal - Newbie

In an effort to make sense of the information it would be good to provide the following data:

Battery Life: 3-4 hours
    Configuration: Core m7, 8gb Ram, 128gb HD
    Usage: Browsing, Music Streaming, Bluetooth, WiFi, Brightness 50%
    Time of Ownership (Optional): 4 days

CoolManny...:newpalm: :thumbsup:

2. Xentar712

Xentar712 Pen Pal - Newbie

Anyone else been using Equalizer APO to boost their volume? I've been able to boost it fine, not it's just a matter of fine tuning it to actually sound good. These keyboard speakers seem to ruin everything...

3. Stugots101

Stugots101 Pen Pal - Newbie

I really think something happened to the m7 model battery life after the update. Multiple folks on slick deals are complaining about similar 3-4 hour battery life doing normal stuff. It bothers me how all the media neglected to mention the spectre x2 or bothering doing a release since its release. (not including press 2 months ago) Yet all the tech sites are already hopping on the Elite x2 bandwagon before its even released yet. And HP has released multiple accessories and wireless docks for it that can easily be benefited on the spectre x2. Who knows, maybe that are compatible but they don't advertise or try to promote them to work with the spectre. They even show you a close up of the wacom pen under the elite x2 page. Where spectre owners had to pull teeth to ge ANY information about the wacom pen. It seems like HP is already turning the page and possibly neglected their new spectre 2 and 1. They are already doing price drops by 100 bucks. HP has a serious problem of giving up and not supporting there computers not to often after they launch. Anyone remember the Original Spectre 13 x 2 and the Spectre 13 notebook. They both barely had a 6-7 month shellfire before HP pulled the plug and took it off the site.

HuckleBoo and CoolManny like this.
  4. MSGaldenzi

MSGaldenzi Scribbler - Standard Member

I completely agree with you. My M5 battery life was about 4 hours after the update, I ended up returning it yesterday and don't regret it at all. Price drops already and lack of support were my biggest factors (and that I had defects and HP said it would be about a month before I could get another). I actually really liked the spectre 13 x2 notebook in the past.

As for media outlets not reviewing it... that is not really HP's fault... well maybe because they aren't sending out review units. Lisa from mobile tech review is going to review the spectre soon and will pin it against the miix and xps12 (read that somewhere). None the less, there have been quite a few other products that have had more attention, namely the SP4/SB/ipad pro that have people more interested than the M variants that are still only trickling out. You will see more reviews for these surface alternatives in the coming months for sure.

HuckleBoo and CoolManny like this.
  5. Stugots101

Stugots101 Pen Pal - Newbie

I had the spectre 13x2 too and I remember it was glitchy as hell. Top heavy and could tip over when using the screen as a touch and was a pain in the arse to put back into the keyboard hinge when docking. I ended up returning it. I really want to like/keep this Spectre 12 x2. HP is making this difficult. I feel like they release too many damn products at once and don't have the manpower or where with all to do proper quality control and trouble shoot. It baffles me the lack of knowledge HP tech support has. Im better off searching forums and getting lucky by a regular joe shmo who diagnosed the problem I have, then a so called HP professional expect to help me with their own product.

CoolManny and MSGaldenzi like this.
  6. FZelle

FZelle Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

After a big Update Windows needs a few hours to settle, many things have to be updated, the whole dotnet stuff gets recompiled, all files reindexed etc.
    So expect the next 2 Days a battery eater.

7. CoolManny

I am still on the fence with this one. Yesterday I went to the support site and forced a number of driver updates including bios. The end result so far is slightly better battery life (5-6 hours) and increased volume from built in speakers (sound is still thin and hollow in the midrange). I really want to keep this on so much I am considering requesting an exchange from HP and selling my SP4 with type cover. I really like this HP hybrid 80% of the time I use it. I find that I am actively engaged with it when I am using it as opposed the passively engaged when I use the SP4 (I nearly said that I am a little excited when I use the Spectre x2 and bored when I use the SP4 but I thought it was too simplistic).

The Elite x2 seems like it is a great machine on paper and is geared towards business professionals and the SP4 is more at home in that arena. The Spectre x2 is more of a "lifestyle plus" product which puts it more in the iPad Pro ballpark which is where I want to set up camp. This is why battery life and quick starting is important to me. In spite of its bugs I would pick this over the iPad Pro any day of the week and twice on Sundays. I already have a number of tablets and the Acer R11 laptop (I use this for heavy lifting and long writing sessions that are becoming few and far between) so the SP4 was more of an "required" upgrade since I had the SP3. The Spectre x2 is the tablet I turn to when I want to lean back and the Acer R11 when I need to push forward.

I hoping that more users would post their battery use so that we can get a better idea of how the machines are performing in the wild...

HuckleBoo likes this.
  8. CoolManny

Over the past month there was very little information about this hybrid on the 'Net. This tread, a tread on SlickDeals and a few videos and blogs posts from the HP event in early Oct was about it. Since then a few posters received the SX2 and the information started to flow. Since the media has paid so little attention to this since the Oct announcement (although Paul Thurrott of thurrott.com and Lisa Gade of Moblie Tech Review seems to share some interest in it) it becomes more important that we continue to add to the conversation when we can.

HuckleBoo likes this.
  9. HuckleBoo

HuckleBoo Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm currently happy with the performance boost of the Skylake technology. The Core m7 (6y75) is delivering much more horsepower compared to the successor 4202-Y of my former all-day tablets from HP (Spectre x2 13 and Pro x2 612 G1). TDP is lower, Turbospeed much higher. I also tried to use the Envy x2 with the Broadwell Core M 5y71, but the overall performance (run-time on battery and CPU) was horrible.

Anyhow, I dislike the new Kickstand design, because HP is following the path of Microsoft and not offering a clamshell keyboard dock, as they did with my former tablets. I personally prefer an ultrabook design for long sessions with a 2nd battery, as well as a much better keyboard. Something like the Spectre 13, which I also owned before. A touchpad is not needed, but a clamshell design requires less space to hold and write.

Do I miss the QHD screen option? Well, not really, because a small display of 12-13" will never replace a big screen on the desk and I prefer sizes of 27-32" with 2-4k and longer run-time for my mobile unit.

Will I keep the Spectre x2 12? And the answer is: No! it will be replaced by the Elite x2 1012.

I wanted a desktop replacement, where I can take the display unit like a full featured tablet with-me and have the flexibility to replace my deskstation. As long as Microsoft is not able to provide a real mobile companion to a desktop and prefering fat Windows setups for both and all other use cases, as long will you need to patch and maintain two desktops with-out synchronizing mechanism. So Thunderbolt and USB 3.1 will give me that flexibility, because I can connect very fast external storage devices, multiple 2k and 4k displays and an eGPU case with Nvidia powered graphic cards up to the GTX 970. Wireless docking is also a very, very nice feature.

The Elite x2 will be a better Spectre x2 12. The main problem of HP is still, that they offer new devices quickly but fail also very quickly to satisfy demands and to fix problems. First charge will be limited to a few (hundreds?) units and afterwards you have to wait weeks for the next shipment. I remember that very well from the past, because it happens to the Spectre x2 13 as well as to the Spectre 13.

I'm wondering, if the Spectre x2 12 and the Elite x2 will share the same screen, because the mainboard and the case (e.g. new kickstand design and from my understanding much better material) are also different. And will you be able to connect the new keyboard units or the WiGig dockingstation to it?

The Spectre x2 13 has not so much value over the Elite x2 1012 and they have to lower the price.

CoolManny likes this.
  10. Vaga

Vaga Scribbler - Standard Member

Link to the SSD?