The HP Spectre x2 12 (2015) Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by sonichedgehog360, Oct 7, 2015.

1. falconxp

falconxp Pen Pal - Newbie

Some very high prices for the top end model on the dutch HP site. The price difference with the high end X360 is lower. Very weird.

US price ex vat Dutch price inc. VAT (21%) (1 dollar ~ 0,88 euro)
    $1149 -------- €1499/$1703/ex VAT $1407 Spectre X2 with M7/8GB/256GB ->$358 difference
    $1399 -------- €1599/$1816/ex VAT $ 1501 Spectre X360 with i7-6500/QHD/8GB/512GB ->$102 difference

Last edited: Oct 10, 2015
  2. ships10

ships10 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

This machine looks like an awesome replacement for my Lenovo Thinkpad tablet 10.
    It's got great features like LTE,Wacom pen,8 gig ram,a real SSD....NOT an emmc.
    I'm not sure how the cpu benchmarks would compare with SP4 CPUs?

Last edited: Oct 15, 2015
  3. FZelle

FZelle Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

4. markj

markj Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm actually starting to think the X2 with m5-6Y54/8GB Ram/128GB SSD for 949(+30 for the pen) USD seems like a really good deal for a daily driver. Compared to the SPro4 i5 processor the m5 has lower base frequency, but more cache so might just effectively perform just as well (if one wants to really stress the systems I guess the SPro4s i7 is the only option). I'm eagerly awaiting some benchmarks.

5. ColoKaren

ColoKaren Pen Pal - Newbie

The X2 is also looking really good to me. I'm still using my Surface Pro *1* for my everyday tablet, and will need to upgrade before I (hopefully) start grad school next year. I expected my SP1 to last at least 5 years, but it was not optimal on day 1. I'm older, and wasn't prepared for how impossible the SP1 is to read.

A larger tablet with lower resolution, a reasonably powerful CPU, at least 8gb ram, and nearly all day battery life are key for me. The only thing I'm not loving on the X2 is the USB-C; everything else, especially the lower resolution and Wacom (!!!), look *perfect*.

6. ships10

ships10 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Is the Wacom pen EMR?

7. ColoKaren

ColoKaren Pen Pal - Newbie

I heard it's AES.

8. johnnobts

johnnobts Pen Pal - Newbie

torn between this and the surface pro 4, but will actually give this sucker a try first, hp has free 30 day returns in the US, and I got the SEPTEMBER25 coupon to work for it, so the $949 m5 128GB version upgraded to the m7 for $50, for $840 with tax. Cheaper to go through HP than Best Buy.

sonichedgehog360 likes this.
  9. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Thanks, @johnnobts!

That means right now, the 256 GB SSD, 8 GB RAM, Core m7-6y75 equipped HP Spectre X2 12 is going for ~$850 if you use the discount codes SEPTEMBER25 or SEPTEMBER30. The coupons expire the 31st of this month. I am seriously considering purchasing one after seeing this brief video of it in action, and the fact it has an optional Wacom stylus is icing on the cake.

By the way, I can tell it's the Spectre X2 since I can make out the speaker grill on the top of the keyboard and outline of the Bang and Olufsen logo in the upper right-hand corner of the keyboard. The location of the USB C-sized adapter plugged in to use the game controller towards the end of the video also makes this a dead giveaway. ;)

Last edited: Oct 16, 2015
    ships10, markj and SAM 2013 like this.
  10. markj

markj Pen Pal - Newbie

Damn, that's an excellent deal bummer I won't be visiting the US until mid November though. Anyone knows of a way to hold a package like this?