The HP Spectre x2 12 (2015) Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by sonichedgehog360, Oct 7, 2015.

1. dellaster

dellaster Technomad Senior Member

Two USB-C ports as well. This looks like an excellent SP4—or even S3—alternative.

2. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

I'm sold on the size of my Surface 3. But, if I was looking at something larger, I would probably be looking at one of these. Hopefully, HP spent the same amount of attention to build quality on this as it did on the Spectre 13. The good thing is that it will probably be on display at BB so we can compare it to the SP3 and SP4.

3. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

I think it is too heavy (for my tastes). The slate is 1.84 lbs. It is fanless, but they didn't seem to take advantage of Core M to beat even the SP3 on weight (and it doesn't come close to the S3). To me the appeal of Core M has more to do with a potentially lighter device than it does fan noise. Personally, I'd probably prefer even an i3 SP3 to this, and definitely would prefer the Core M SP4 if I needed a 12" 3:2 slate.

For me to move up from my Atom powered S3 to a Core M device, the slate would have to be significantly lighter than this. Preferably 10.8" and equal or better than the 1.37lb S3, but I might be able to compromise on something in the 1.5 lb range if it is 12"... otherwise I just don't need the performance bump enough to justify the extra weight.

sonichedgehog360 and Bronsky like this.
  4. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

This display quality is still a question here, and HP in the past has had issues with reds looking the wrong shade(despite a pretty good color gamut).

5. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Same here. This coupled with it only having USB C ports, which I see as drawback rather than an advantage, makes it the least desirable of the three tablets I am considering. Unless money becomes an issue, I will hopefully go with the Surface Pro 4. If not that, the Lenovo MIIX 700. If not that, this Spectre x2.

6. Mr. Boosh

Mr. Boosh Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

You're funneled into 4GB RAM with the SP4 if you're staying Core M. This or the Miix will provide 8GB options while remaining fanless.

Something to keep in mind.

sonichedgehog360 likes this.
  7. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Thanks! I am actually interested in the i5 Surface Pro 4 with 256 GB SSD and 8 GB RAM, since I do coding and circuit design. The fan aspect doesn't bother me since the cooling system has improved substantially in the Pro 4. I am hoping Best Buy publishes their $150 off student discount code for the Pro 3 for the Pro 4, and I then stacking that with the 10% off USPS mover's coupon since I have two addresses. (FYI, there is a corporate policy that requires Best Buy to stack these two coupons together, which I have recently verified myself. So if you try this and any snarky employee tells you otherwise, refer them to this: http://slickdeals.net/f/7571106-mac...-movers-and-edu-coupons-from-corporate?page=3 ) If the student discount code doesn't get published before Christmas, I have access to both Lenovo and HP's EPP programs as a fallback.

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  8. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Thanks for that link. BB employees seem not to know about this (which is not really a surprise).

sonichedgehog360 likes this.
  9. Don1

Don1 Scribbler - Standard Member

Also M3 with the SP4 and this has a M7 option in the $1149 config.

10. SAM 2013

SAM 2013 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Does the regular Penabled Wacom Digitizer work with this model?