The HP Spectre x2 12 (2015) Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by sonichedgehog360, Oct 7, 2015.

1. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Good question with a boring, non-art-related answer. My go-to traveling companion is the m3 Surface Pro 4. It's got the ideal blend of size, power and battery life for life on the road. I've also got the Fast Ring Insider Builds installed on this machine so I can keep up with developments and update the site if I need to.

My primary "desktop" is an i5 Surface Pro 3 docked to the Huion GT-220. Again, not because of art capabilities, but primarily it's where I do bookkeeping and where my desktop Outlook client is stored. Because I juggle multiple non-Exchange server email accounts, I've never mastered how to sync Outlook.com correctly. I frankly don't think it's possible unless I was willing to pump everything through an Outlook.com email address which I can't do.

My second desktop is an i7 Dell XPS8700 attached to the Yiynova MVP20U+FE I reviewed back in January. I use this rig to maintain the blog and various Roku channels I manage. I also just completed a 120-page catalogue for a client that was done primarily in Word and Photoshop.

I'd consider the Surface Studio for any serious illustration I was going to attempt. Once the Creators Update is released I will be circling back to it to see how it performs with the new OS.

To draw away from the desk, I'll turn to the MobileStudio Pro 16 but it's pretty big for use on the sofa. When space and maneuverability are at a premium, I'll go back to the trusty SP4 or something more tablet-y like the Huawei Matebook.

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  2. RUGGLES99

RUGGLES99 Pen Pal - Newbie

I just took another shot at buying one from amazon for $410. I returned the last one because of some weird but major software glitches. The new one has arrived, has totally updated and is working fine, so far. It really is a great-looking machine, the stand is superior to the Surface, and the screen to my eyes is equal to the Surface, and I feel it's far nicer-looking than my SP4. I wish there was a decent case/cover that allows the type cover to be usable. Oh, and the type cover is so much better and firmer than the Microsoft version. I rarely touch my Mac Macbook Pro and retina Macbook anymore -- using my Surface 3, SP4 and now the Spectra X2 M3.

3. hootenanny

hootenanny Pen Pal - Newbie

That's a great price! Are the ones you're buying the refurbs? I popped over to Amazon to take a look, and see the cheapest Spectre x2 is a refurb.

I wonder if your software issues could've been due to that. Never heard of anything like that before, that'd make for a weird hardware defect if that were to be the case.

4. RUGGLES99

No, this is brand new! Go into the amazon search box and put in the tablet name and $410, and you should find it at that price. It is well-hidden. I went through hell with the first one that I bought because the app icons started disappearing. I dealt with HP and then Microsoft and after spening lots of time the problem kept happening. Finally, I said FI, and returned it. But I liked it so much that I figured there was some glitch that no one coiuld figure out in that one unit. So I decided to buy again, and so far so good. It truly is a great deal and a really nice 2-in-1. The first time I also bought the Lenovo Active Pen and it worked with the Spectre. I ordered the same pen again and this time it didn't work. It's supposed to. Not sure what the problem is, but I returned it. I also have a SP4 and a Surface 3. I really, really like the S3. It truly is the perfect size and does everything I need it to do. And they are bargains now on eBay. Actually, I like the Spectre over the SP4, I guess mainly because of the keyboard. The Spectre KB is aluminum and far less flexible than the Surface Typecover. I also like the stand on the Spectre better than the Surface. If you can get a new Spectre at the Amazon price of $410, go for it. Post how you did.

5. athomasbeck

athomasbeck Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm also looking for pen drivers for the spectre x2. I have the hp active pen and find it very frustrating to use. it picks up maybe 90% of my handwriting when using it for notes but that last 10% it misses drives me crazy. It's been like this since I bought it. I just did a fresh install of windows and I'm hoping the proper drivers will fix this. Right not I'm just using whatever windows 10 default pen driver is.

Also, I had that same problem of programs disappearing. I'd get a BSOD with a memory management error and afterwards all my programs would be missing and my start menu would be empty. I haven't had issues since my fresh install, I'm crossing my fingers I won't have any more.

My issues with the pen are very similar to whats shown in this video

Last edited: Apr 12, 2017
  6. RUGGLES99

Can anyone suggest the pens that actually work with the hp spectre x2 12". I did buy a Lenovo that worked with the first spectre I bought but I returned both because of an issue with the tablet. I then bought a second and the tablet works but the pen didn't and I returned it. So I'm now seeking your help. If you can, give me several options of reasonably-priced pens and with the correct model numbers. TIA!

7. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Here's the compatibility chart I created last summer.

http://surfaceproartist.com/blog/2016/8/16/ultimate-active-es-pen-compatibility-chart

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hootenanny likes this.
  8. RUGGLES99

I bought another Lenovo around $28 on Amazon, but again it didn't work UNTIL I pressed the lower button of the two buttons and it powered on. It works perfectly and has a better feel than the stock Microsoft pen that comes with the SP4. Also the terrible sound that plagued the HP initially is long gone with updates and an app I recently found. If the HP holds up, the current sale price i bought at is a steal for a full-blown sleek, thin and light laptop/tablet. Great deal.

9. Ben Coleman

Ben Coleman Pen Pal - Newbie

Has anyone tried to set up this tablet as a data device in Google Project Fi?

10. RUGGLES99

@Ben Coleman
    No, and I have no idea what any of that means, Google Project Fi. Did you just buy a Spectre X2 at the bargain prices they are now for sale at? I actually like it better than my SP4. The keyboard is superior and the stand, in my opinion, works better.