The HP Spectre x2 12 (2015) Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by sonichedgehog360, Oct 7, 2015.

1. PrznMovieFan

PrznMovieFan Pen Pal - Newbie

Been skimming the thread and was hoping for some help on deciding to buy the Spectre X2. I currently have the Lenovo Miix 700 M5 8GB 128 SSB which I like and was looking at the Spectre X2 with similar specs. My issue with the Miix 700 is that it cannot use any kind of power bank due to its unique charger port. It also cannot use any charger besides its own, although it can charge even when active with no issue.

As I understand it now (and if I'm wrong please correct me), the Spectre X2 can only use powerbanks for when shut down, and that it also has issues being plugged in and used at the same time? Would really like a portable 12'' with no issues using a powerbank, but seems these both have problems?

2. David Levin

David Levin Pen Pal - Newbie

I purchased one from provantage for $39 after shipping:
    http://www.provantage.com/hp-v5y26ut-aba~7HEWG2FH.htm

It's working fine (there's two that look similar - make sure you get the 45w one). It's not really that much smaller then the stock. The power cord design is interesting in that is comes with the prongs to plug it directly into a socket (so less wires), but if the prongs are not installed, you can use a standard 3-wire power cord. Note that it didn't come with a power cord as shown on the picture at the HP site (mabe because provantage has it as the "smart buy" model).

I'll attempt some pictures:
    Plug Connector Small.jpg Size Compare Small.jpg With Plug Small.jpg

3. David Levin

This one will have powerbank problems too. There's no problem with charging when in use as long as you're using an official HP charger, and it's plugged directly into the tablet (not through a power inserting USB hub).

It can charge when off with a non HP supply, but you have to find a power bank that supports USB-C 12v (or maybe 15v) charging. It's never going to charge from the usual 5v USB powerbanks.

There is a potential work-around which is to get either an elite dock or an HP USB-C 4.5mm adapter and use this with a power bank that can supply 19.5v at 45 watts.

http://store.hp.com/us/en/pdp/hp-us...&010=N2Z65UT&ci_sku=N2Z65UT&ci_gpa=pla&ci_kw=

Bottom line is that in regard to charging, this is more like a large table or laptop then a phone. It needs more power then a 5v power bank can supply.

The Elite X2 supposedly can charge from non HP USB-C compliant power supplies while in use (I personally cannot confirm this), but you would still need a power bank that is USB-C compliant with support for 12v or 15V (I'm not sure which is needed) charging.

4. del23

del23 Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi,

New to the forum, I have just purchased a HP Spectre X2 - 12-a004tu (M7, 8GB, 512GB SSD) and upon turning it on for the first time and simply adding some new users through Control Panel, the display crashed completely, so much so that I couldn't navigate properly to shut the machine down and had to shut it down using the power button.
    Is this a known problem with this machine, or can it be fixed with driver updates?
    I have attached an image of the screen during the crash below.

[​IMG]

I am unsure whether to ask for a replacement machine or just ask for a refund instead?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,

Del

5. David Levin

yea, you need to get all the driver updates (especially the video driver). Update the Bios too -> just to be safe.
    Everything is intel based and I just pulled all the updates through microsoft update (I didn't bother with the HP updater).

6. Ben Coleman

Ben Coleman Pen Pal - Newbie

I am unable to get Arcsoft's Depthcam to work on the X2. When I run the program and try to switch to depth mode I get the message "could not start the depth camera." I've tried reinstalling the Intel realsense drivers to no avail. Has anyone got this working that might tell me how they did it? Thanks in advance.

7. Akvod

Akvod Pen Pal - Newbie

I would get a refund. Call tech support say that you want a refund and to escalate it to customer service/you want to talk to customer service.

I bought one a few months ago and had numerous issues with it. Ultimately, it bricked and I'm getting a partial refund because I've had it for a few months. Decided to buy a Vaio Z Canvas now.

8. Ben Coleman

Ben Coleman Pen Pal - Newbie

Last edited: Aug 6, 2016
  9. David Levin

I couldn't get this one working reliability. Hover distance is minimal and I only got intermittent functionality on the upper half of the screen. An earlier message identified this as their favorite pen.

I'm not sure if there could be a problem with my screen. I've opened mine up to put in a 1TB Sandisk SSD. In desperation I've ordered the HP stylus which is due to arrive tomorrow. I'll post an update then.

10. Akvod

Akvod Pen Pal - Newbie

Got my return label emailed to me. Going to be shipping this back tonight or tomorrow. Overall, I'm at least happy with HP's customer service and how they're going to give back a good portion of my money back, especially given how long I had it.

I really wanted to love this computer. Other than the defect issues I had, the only gripe I really had with it was the speaker volume. I loved the keyboard, and I loved the overall design.

On the flip side, this was a real eye opening purchase for me. It was my first real computer purchase with my own money, and I was shocked by all the quality issues. I went through 2 models and they all had the same fundamental issues (display driver/mother board(?) issues, bad pen input) and 2 of the 3 keyboards I got had defects.

Since they're giving me my money back, I'm not going to mark HP as my enemy for life, but I'm also not going to buy another $1,000-ish purchase from HP unless they really convince me that they upped their quality.