The HP Spectre x2 12 (2015) Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by sonichedgehog360, Oct 7, 2015.

1. Don1

Don1 Scribbler - Standard Member

The calculating is by design. Different device but I'm sure HP in their infinite wizdom is removing it everywhere.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebo...when-clicking-on-battery-icon-in/td-p/5028266

2. mindseye

mindseye Pen Pal - Newbie

This makes it even more unacceptable, especially with the touted partnership with MS on this machine. But like many, at least getting rid of the word "calculating" would have been better. Even saying in the BIOS release notes would have been handy, instead of thinking something is wrong with the system.

Still, it's not a real issue like the flakey win8 graphics driver...I can feel a rant coming on about the touted partnership with Intel...I won't bore you though.

3. thoots

thoots Pen Pal - Newbie

I don't think that's the case, mainly because I have already tried a third-party power adapter (innergie PowerGear USB-C 45), and while that doesn't work while the x2 is turned on, it works just fine when the notebook is turned off. This presumably shows how HP's USB-C power DRM only works while the power is on. Thus, if a power bank can provide an adequate amount of power, it should also charge up the x2 -- when it's turned off. And it sure seems that the current bunch of power banks with USB-C outputs of 3 amps at 5 volts just simply isn't enough.

As for the HP power banks, they sure don't say that they will charge the x2, but the 18,000mAh version DOES have a "notebook charger" -- a 19 volt output with a plug that'll work just fine -- with a Spectre x360 notebook. I actually have an x360, so I suppose I could dump the x2 and go with the bigger x360. But that's not really what I've got in mind.

In the end, the HP power banks are at least double the price of the Anker bank I tried, if anyone wants to spend that kind of money to try one out.

4. tomtomstop

tomtomstop Pen Pal - Newbie

Yes, it has been done. Scroll back a few pages and it was discussed.

5. jbuch84

jbuch84 Pen Pal - Newbie

Just an update on the above -
    After attempting to use my stylus to take notes for about an hour I let the tablet go into sleep mode for a bit. When I come back and wake it up, the screen is flickering off and on with odd lines displaying during this as well. Today is the first day I've had any issues with the device and it just happens to be the last day (day # 30) for me to return it. I'll be swapping it just to be safe.

I should mention that after a clean restore to factory settings the device seems to be fine again so I'm thinking there was a driver issue or something not playing nice after the most recent windows update. But, like I said.. better safe than sorry!

Now I'm just torn between returning for the m3 / 4gb version I have now (only paid $475 for it) or ponying up a few more Benjamin's for the m7 / 8gb on sale for $749 on the HP store (coupon code BMSM30).

6. Don1

I'm sure it is not the case (I think) and just the word itself being displayed but the idea of it saying "calculating" to me makes me think it is actually doing something and in turn burning battery time in the process..again I hope that is not the case.

7. Don1

8. Deepak Munjal

Deepak Munjal Pen Pal - Newbie

9. zeek

zeek Scribbler - Standard Member

10. BeeCee

BeeCee Pen Pal - Newbie

Yes, it is NOW listed as compatible, it wasn't previously.
    That is quite reassuring, as someone has updated the listing, so more likely to be true

I will probably give it a try. (Not listed as compatible with the Elite ?)
    However it does look like the power bank itself is not chargeable via USB as it states 19v dc input and has its own charger - Doh

Last edited: Mar 7, 2016