The HP Spectre x2 12 (2015) Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by sonichedgehog360, Oct 7, 2015.

1. Owen Duke

Owen Duke Pen Pal - Newbie

Yes, thank you. I would like to find a case that works.

2. SF6

SF6 Scribbler - Standard Member

No need to quote all those pics c'mon :/

3. mindseye

mindseye Pen Pal - Newbie

Sorry about that. A mix of laziness (I do know better and should edit quotes) and excitement to receiving the pics.
    I have edited the relevant post.:thumbsup:

4. ElCamino

ElCamino Pen Pal - Newbie

5. Owen Duke

Please take pity on a newbie. I got the micro SD card installed and my computer sees it. So can I drag and drop Dropbox or OneDrive onto the card. How do I move my iTunes music over?

6. Don1

Don1 Scribbler - Standard Member

You can drag and drop to it but if you want to have dropbox sync to it you can do that too. Just create an alias to it in disk management and set dropbox to sync to the folder that you just aliased.

7. Owen Duke

Thanks

8. thoots

thoots Pen Pal - Newbie

Replying to myself here, and talking about "power banks with USB-C outputs." So, I ordered one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/Anker-PowerCore-Ultra-High-Capacity-External-VoltageBoost/dp/B014ZO46LK

Anker Powercore+ 20100, a relative beast of a power bank. And, given the talk about "non-compliant cables," I also ordered one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-USB-C-Male-Cable-113003/dp/B00VTZ7L1Q

A "known compliant" USB-C to USB-C cable from Monoprice.

For the record, the detailed description for the Anker power bank states the following:

"Note: Not compatible with Dell XPS 12 9250 (2015), Dell XPS 15 (9550), Dell XPS 13 (9350) or HP Spectre x2."

I must admit that I didn't catch that before placing my order -- I noticed it a couple of days after I placed the order. Though, I'm not sure that would have stopped me from giving it a try.

OK, so I've had a chance to give it a try, so does it work?

Well, in a word, "No." I've tried hooking it up for maybe a half-hour at most, and it sure hasn't changed my x2's charge even one percent. I'll let it "try again" for several hours -- perhaps overnight, and see what happens. But, I'm not expecting that it'll help at all. Bottom line, it doesn't make the x2's "charging" light light up while the x2 is turned off, nor does the x2 "see" the power bank when you plug it in while the x2 is turned on.

Otherwise, like I mentioned above, the Anker is quite a beast of a power bank -- It topped up my Samsung Galaxy S6 phone incredibly quickly. Also, if you're wondering, there are instructions mentioned in the Amazon reviews, but NOWHERE in any of the paltry, minimal instructions provided with the power bank, that you have to "push its button" in order to tell it to charge a device over the USB-C port, rather than vice-versa, and of course I've done that. And if it won't work with my x2 at all, well, even though it's a useful power bank, the fact is that it charges up via USB-C, so there's another cable I'd need to take with me if I go out and travel with the thing, while everything else uses the "micro" USB plugs.

Anyway, I rather doubt that there's anything out there now that'll work any better than this will -- while it'll supposedly charge up a Macbook 12, perhaps the x2 simply needs more power than the Macbook does. Again, I'll give it another try over several hours, and see if that helps at all -- and I'll let you know how it goes.

YK100 and hootenanny like this.
  9. YK100

YK100 Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for the detailed review

10. thoots

thoots Pen Pal - Newbie

Quite welcome. And now I can report that I let the Anker power bank "attempt to charge" the x2 while it was turned off, and after about three hours, there was still no change whatsoever in the X2's battery charge. So, it just utterly, utterly doesn't work. And I have my doubts that any other current power banks would work, either -- I'm presuming that they simply would have to output quite a bit more power than this Anker does, and I'm doubtful that anything that currently exists would do so. Perhaps some day, but so far, it appears that the best option for powering the x2 is to just use its original power supply, or get a second one if you want to leave your original one at home while you're traveling.