The HP Spectre x2 12 (2015) Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by sonichedgehog360, Oct 7, 2015.

1. mindseye

mindseye Pen Pal - Newbie

Well that's a bit of a bummer. I was just chatting with HP support (not sure if it was a bot or a person..seemed like a bot) and they told me the case wouldn't fit the Spectre. So I tried asking them to clarify why, but they disappeared from the chat without a "goodbye" even.

I don't really understand why it would need to be in two parts, unless it was screwed together like those tradie phone cases. Could you post some pics of the case and it's construction please? I'm thinking of having to make my own case and a better look at the elite case might help with coming up with a solution.
    Thanks.

2. Don1

Don1 Scribbler - Standard Member

Agreed, very different if that is what they said.

However, this is the quote from HP and in the linked article which is what we first stated.

"After speaking with HP officials about the issue, it appears the company is just playing it safe. Fearing that a counterfeit or out-of-spec charger could make the touchscreen or audio subsystem flaky, HP has limited the access non-certified chargers have to the device. For now, HP exec Mike Nash told us, only “overnight” charging, or charging while the device is off, is supported."

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3017...-every-device-we-have-to-chase-the-dream.html

3. ElCamino

ElCamino Pen Pal - Newbie

Can you post a link to the Spectre x2 service manual? I went back several post and can't find that anyone posted the link. Thanks.

4. Don1

Don1 Scribbler - Standard Member

5. jbuch84

jbuch84 Pen Pal - Newbie

Over the weekend I picked up a usb type c hub (link below) that included an HDMI out. In testing it I found a few oddities. I can output 4K resolution from the right USB-C port (side with micro sd and sim) but it's terribly laggy. Also, I cannout output 4k from the left USB-C port (side with volume rocker) at all but can do 1080p. Also, 1080p output is much more smooth than 4k.

Anyone know if the Spectre is capable of HDMI 2.0 / 60hz video output? I'm thinking that it might be capping at 30hz refresh rate and that's what I'm seeing but can't tell if it's the GPU in the table or the hub that is causing the bottleneck.

Hub I purchased:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019R9KAUE?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

hootenanny likes this.
  6. BeeCee

BeeCee Pen Pal - Newbie

I will try and post some pictures over the next few days.
    If you are that keen that you would make your own, AND the material this one is made out of is file-able. You could probably do something - no promises
    I guess I am a bit negatively biased - given the panic that I went through

7. BeeCee

BeeCee Pen Pal - Newbie

Here you go pictures. Let me know if you need more. As I am sending it back soon
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

mindseye likes this.
  8. mindseye

Thank you for the pics. :thumbsup:

Now to go study the details. Again, thanks. I'll let you know what I come up with.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2016
  9. mindseye

Win10 had another "cumulative" update and there was a new update from HP, but the "calculating" bug is still there and this win8 graphics driver is still here and doing it's funky crap. :vbconfused:

FFS, win8 graphics driver when there is supposedly a partnership between HP, MS and Intel on this Spectre x2. I could go on a rant but I'm sure you all can feel me on this. :vbconfused: :mad:

10. mindseye

In case you may have not figured this out, and for those wondering why no pen holster, the pen sticks to the bottom of the screen magnetically. I'm not sure if this is a good thing yet. Magnets and computers don't usually play well together, so I'm not too sure if any damage could be done to the pen etc.