The HP Spectre x2 12 (2015) Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by sonichedgehog360, Oct 7, 2015.

1. hootenanny

hootenanny Pen Pal - Newbie

Wow, you managed to get quite a bit further than I did despite extensive experimentation. Could you check under Settings => Network & Internet => Cellular => Advanced Options what your firmware version is for your lt4114 LTE 4G Module?

2. GadgetsNut

GadgetsNut Pen Pal - Newbie

See attached pictures. It requires much fiddling before it'll even connect - disable/re-enable cellular and remove/re-insert SIM multiple times before I even get on TMo's page.

lte1.jpg lte2.jpg

hootenanny likes this.
  3. hootenanny

hootenanny Pen Pal - Newbie

Interesting, same modem firmware version as me, 11.350.16.19.00.

Really can't seem to figure out what the difference could be between the two of you that have gotten further and my machine. I also messed with disable/re-enabling and removing-re-inserting quite a lot but never got as far as the TMo page loading.

4. zeek

zeek Scribbler - Standard Member

I think you guys are fighting a losing battle. Its supported on Verizon only.

FYI, sometimes when you try to use a WWAN modem intended for one carrier on another carrier you will get different results depending on signal strength because of where you are located. You may see the other carrier get detected and but you wont be able to establish a usable connection. This usually comes down to the frequency bands supported by the modem.

5. raduque

raduque Pen Pal - Newbie

I guess I got lucky that I have a spare unused Verizon line.

On another note my Intel driver crashes went away when I force installed the latest Betas from Intel and stopped using the October driver from HP.

6. Owen Duke

Owen Duke Pen Pal - Newbie

Well I just want to bring back up:
    1. Cases
    2. Chargers

I am amazed no one is making a case (not even HP). Has anyone found a generic one that works well?

I have assumed that portable charging options will not work either?

7. Don1

Don1 Scribbler - Standard Member

The case issue is not unlike the surface, even more so because it comes with a kb and people assume that is the only case you will ever want. Better off looking for sleeves.

8. Owen Duke

Owen Duke Pen Pal - Newbie

Don 1, thanks. I did get a sleeve but would like a case.

9. jbuch84

jbuch84 Pen Pal - Newbie

I purchased this one from Amazon that was made for a 12" Macbook Air. I will say that it was a touch too tight at first but now that it's gotten some use it fits like a glove. I would also keep in that if there are any deviations in size (poor q.c.) it might not fit.

I get compliments on the leather and wool all the time.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00X5AF5IE/ref=yo_ii_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Attached Files:

tomtomstop likes this.
  10. thoots

thoots Pen Pal - Newbie

Cases:

Of course, it will fit -- loosely -- in anything designed for a 13-inch notebook. But, of course, we want something that'll fit better than that.

I actually spent most of the day yesterday "case shopping," and I found something that seems to fit PERFECTLY: The Tucano Wok_Out vertical bag for the Surface Pro 3 or 4:

http://www.tucanousa.com/en_us/vert...urface-pro-3-and-pro-4-work-out-vertical.html

I found this at a Fry's Electronics store -- it comes in orange and blue, and while the orange really didn't look too bad, I chose a blue one. The x2 fits inside the main compartment just about as perfectly as it possibly could, including the top, where it's close to the zippered opening, but there's no drama involved at all in zipping it up. "It just fits." I also have a tablet -- the Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 9.7 -- which fits just fine in the tablet pocket inside the main compartment. And, as you can see, it's got a couple of outer pockets for accessories and such.

In the end, things designed for the Surface 3 or 4 are probably going to be our best bet -- the Surfaces are a hair smaller than the x2, but they have the same 3:2 aspect ratio screens, so the dimensions are very similar. Though, most of what I've found for the Surfaces are sleeves, and I definitely wanted a well-padded bag with handles. So, I'm just very happy that I found this Tucano bag, and that the x2 fits into it so well.

Chargers:

I went ahead and ordered one of the official HP adapter, presumably the exact same thing that came with the computer:

http://store.hp.com/us/en/pdp/acces...sb-c-ac-adapter?jumpid=Accessories_Finder_PDP

That's on its way as I write this. I just want to have a second power supply for when I travel, so I don't have to go dig out the one I use at home every time.

I've got a biggish power bank that I want to try and see if it'll work, though I'll have to find a cable to hook it up with either the USB Type-C ports, or with the adapter. I'll give that a shot if I ever find a cable that'll make it work.