The HP Spectre x2 12 (2015) Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by sonichedgehog360, Oct 7, 2015.

1. GadgetsNut

GadgetsNut Pen Pal - Newbie

I bought the X2 from Best Buy 3 weeks ago when it went on sale. Quite a sweet deal for $500 with the edu coupon. And then last week I picked up the Lenovo Yoga 700 11" also $500. I'm having the toughest time deciding which to keep, not sure why I keep doing this to myself lol.

The X2 is a bit cumbersome to switch between laptop and tablet, compared to the Yoga 700, just flip the keyboard out of the way. For this reason I prefer the Yoga 700 over the X2. I've owned a few other Yoga style 2-in-1 before. The Yoga 700 11" is the first one that I truly like, nice and compact and light. 1080P on a 11" is great. The X2 runs the Skylake m3-6y30, and the Yoga 700 has the m5-6y54. The m3 actually outperforms the m5 due to throttling. It's not an apples to apples comparison, as it seems the X2 has better passive cooling due to its larger, all metal construction, compared to the Yoga 700's plastic build. I opened up the Yoga. The heat sink is shockingly thin and small.

What's your opinion here guys? For the same $500, which one would you keep? This might seem silly, but the only reason I'm even having this dilemma is because of the deal I got on the X2, $300 off retail.

Have a look at WPrime. The Skylake m3 finished much more quickly than the m5. For much of the duration of the test, the m3 stayed at 1.9GHz, whereas the Yoga with the m3 throttled between 1.3 to 1.5GHz.

x2.jpg yoga.jpg

2. raduque

raduque Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm seeing a bunch of updated software on HP's driver page. All the Intel software (save the GPU driver) is listed as updated today or yesterday, the HP UEFI diags are listed as updated today. I don't have time to check against version numbers to see if they've actually been updated or now, though.

The only one I'm interested in, the Intel GPU driver, is the same version as currently installed. I'm still getting driver crashes and TDRs, which is completely unacceptable.

3. Don1

Don1 Scribbler - Standard Member

I wouldn't trust any dates they show. Compare builds. There was a time a month or so ago when they were showing everything was updated every day and of course it really wasn't.

4. Don1

If it were me I would keep the x2 and if it ever gets to 499 again I will buy it for the fourth time and keep it. If you want a laptop wait for Dell to have another super outlet sale like they did a few weeks ago when you could have gotten the xps 13 8/256/qbr 9350 for $750 like I did. Who cares if it is refurbished as it comes with the same warranty as a new one. I also like 3:2 ratio of the x2 better than the 16:9 of the 700..but again that's just me.

5. Don1

HP has the 30% off configurable pcs over $1199 coupon again that they had in the fall and it works on this as well. BMSM30. Expires 2/27

6. zeek

zeek Scribbler - Standard Member

That's a great deal. You can buy the same configuration as the m7 model at Best Buy + stylus + Windows Pro upgrade for $839. That's only $40 more than BB's m3 model at $799 that doesn't include the stylus so its basically the same price!

Last edited: Feb 21, 2016
  7. GadgetsNut

Yes the 3:2 form factor really is fantastic. The X2 has more vertical pixels than my 1920x1200 monitor! I've tried a few of these 2-in-1 with removal keyboard before. Dell Venue 11 Pro, Surface Pro 2 and 3, etc. This is totally personal preference of course, but I find it a bit cumbersome.

Actually I've tried pretty much all flavors of 2-in-1's before - Latitude XT3, ThinkPad X220 tablet and ThinkPad Twist, Dell XPS12 with the unique flip screen design, Spectre X360, ThinkPad Yoga 14, an old HP with the twisting screen forgot which that was. Yeah I'm nuts, see my user ID ;) Of them all, I find the Yoga 700 11" the least cumbersome, with its compact dimensions and light weight. Of course I only use these devices mostly for consumption. Any actual work I go back to my desktops.

The two issues I have with the Spectre X2 are the weak speakers and the touch screen. The touchscreen becomes finicky if I touch it with more than the very tip of my finger. Other than that, beautiful built 2-in-1 for sure, with a fantastic keyboard.

Hate to give up a good deal, but I've decided to keep the Yoga and return the X2. Would love to keep both but as it as I already have too many devices lol.

BTW I had two XPS13 9343 from last year also. I scored a jackpot when Dell sent me a mystery coupon that was 40%. I bought one each the base i3/1080p and an i5/8/256/QHD for $400 and $600. I remember the firmware bug which caused the i3 version to be stuck at 600MHz. Lovely machine for sure, but a convertible design works better for me as mobile devices is mostly consumption for me. To me, touchscreen in a tradition laptop style machine is not very useful.

8. thoots

thoots Pen Pal - Newbie

For me, the Spectre x2 screen aspect ratio wins, wins, wins. A lot of what I do with a computer once you get past web browsing and e-mail is "spreadsheets," and 1920 x 1080 is just an utter disaster for most of my spreadsheet work. Also, the taller aspect ratio generally works better with a lot of other things, like web pages and e-mail messages.

Also, Lenovo has had a distressing lack of "backlit keyboards" -- and that's just something I have GOT to have. I'm not sure if the 700 has one or not, but it seems that anything short of their very most top of the line notebooks tend to lack backlit keyboards.

Speed tests don't mean much to me -- either a computer is fast enough for your needs or not, and most Core M notebooks are still fast enough for me. Same goes with sound -- if I want better sound, I can just synch up a bluetooth speaker and get far better sound than any notebook can produce.

In the end, I got the m7/8GB/256GB version of the x2, and I'm quite happy with it. With the screen aspect ratio and the 4G LTE service, it's a great, lightweight travel computer.

9. hootenanny

hootenanny Pen Pal - Newbie

Anyone ever get anywhere or have any updates with getting T-Mobile or any other non-Verizon carrier working on this?

10. GadgetsNut

Yes 16:9 screens are just not very good for productivity.

That's the other thing I wanted to point out. I am happy with Skylake Core m performance. I really don't want to go back to having a fan. I'm actually thinking if I would've been better of going with the m3 on the Yoga vs the m3. Would've been $50 cheaper too.

I tried but just couldn't not get it to work. It's very strange. With a new TMo SIM card, I was able to access all TMo sites, even completed the free 200MB/mo sign up process right on my X2 through LTE, so the radio can definitely work with TMo yet I am unable to get on the internet. It is not getting an IP assigned on the cellular connection. I gave up trying to get it to work.