The Galaxy Note as Windows Companion

Discussion in 'Samsung Galaxy Note and Tab' started by Bronsky, Nov 4, 2015.

1. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

I am taking the liberty of creating this thread to create a place where we can gather information realated to the use of Galaxy Notes as companion devices to Windows Tablets, hybrids or 2-in-1s, which act as primary notebooks. In my case, it is a GN5 and Surface 3 combination.

[​IMG]

Here were my initial impressions (from the "No Love Thread").

Initial impressions. I got a Galaxy Note with S-Cover case. It is a very interesting device. It is larger than my Lumia 928 but lighter I think. It feels far better in the hand when the case is not on but the S-View case really offers significant protection for the phone. Using it as a phone, however, I prefer it without its case.

Android OS is a completely changed OS now that it has Microsoft Office software on it. Just the functionality of OneNote and Onedrive removes a lot of the issues I had with Android on my old Droid. It's funny how functional Microsoft has made the Android OS.

I wish I knew more about android at the moment because I would like to keep the setup to a minimum and be very specific about what is installed on the GN5. I know there is a lot of crap being installed on the unit that I would prefer not be there.

The Octacore Exnos is fast. I've read reviews that say the A9 outperforms it but it is a quantum better than what I was using. With the Octacore CPU and an LTE connection, the GN5 is an ideal wifi hotspot for my Surface 3. My connection feels as fast as my home connection, I had my GN5 in a courtroom on Friday and its connection was faster than the Wifi supplied for admitted counsel by the Court system. It's a vast improvement in my remote connection and, given Verizon's coverage in this are, I have universal access for my S3.

The display is simply incredible. It is bright and contrasty.

The rapid charger is just that. It is a bit larger than the S3's charger. I got my new unit home late yesterday and it was at 24% out of the box. I had only 15 minutes before leaving for dinner. I put it on the charger for exactly 15 minutes and I took it off with a 69% charge. Battery life seems comparable to my Lumia but I have the sense that when I learn the set up better, I'll be able to extend that a bit. Still with my use, I could probably miss a nightly charging and have a useful device for a second day of work.

And, the best for last. I love the S-Pen. Although the tablet is large for a phone, it is the perfect size for a small note-taker. I miss an eraser on the S-Pen. I will be trying my S10 pen on it. I suspect that it will work fine. It's great to be inking with a traditional Wacom digitizer again. Handwriting feels so natural. I like the GN5s S-Pen software. The pop-up note pad when you remove the pen is a great idea. It is like the Surface's pen button and OneNote. Actually, I wish there was a way to customize what poped out when you removed the pen, as I would make OneNote appear rather than Samsung's software.

It is interesting that the S-Pen software is smoother than OneNote when inking. It seems to respond a fraction of a second faster than OneNote.

I like the S-View case. It protects the display and makes me feel more comfortable about silpping the phone into the back pocket of my jeans. Interestingly, the GN5, even though bigger than my Lumia, fits great in a back pocket. Unlike the sharp edges on my Lumia, the rounded edges and device thinness fit wtihout making holes in the pocket. So, the upshot of getting the GN5 is that I don't have to buy a pair of cargo pants to take my phone along when I'm dressed casually. The one thing that the S-View case should do is double as a kickstand when folded back, so the phone can be used in landscape mode. It is large enough to type with a BT keyboard like the one I used with the AVN8. That would permit faster handling of email and might even keep the S3 home on some occasions when it would normally travel with me.

In all, the device has a lot of potential. It adds a number of facets to a phone lacking in my 928. As much as I like the new Lumias, they can't hold a candle to the GN5 IMHO. It completes my move to a 2 device system and compliments the S3 perfectly. To be sure, I can think of some things I would like to see different, but that would be with any device. Microsoft needs to make something like this with x86 Atom power and a siloed pen. I can't tell you how great it is to have a pen at my fingertips again.

And then there's this from the Citiman Thread:

One of the things I liked about the AVN8 was how quickly you could deploy it to take a note about something you would normally forget. A device like the S3 is not nearly as portable and isn't small enough to be kept in an accessible spot. For the AVN8, it was the front pocket of my briefcase, which was always available without unbuckling the saddle bag straps. I would capture a lot of "to do" notes, contact information or fragments of a thought that occasionally turned out to be useful.

Although it's early and I'm just learning the device, the GN5 is already shining in that role. It is far more portable than the 8" tablet. It fits easily in a pocket insead of a briefcase. The GN5's 5,7" display makes a decent writing platform. It is just large enough to be a comfortable note taker. It's startling how small my Nokia's 4.5" display appears now. It's not overly thin, but the device is so compact because it is flat with perfectly rounded corners. It travels very well.

The S-View case is the best fitting case I've ever owned for any device, even my old IPaq, that had a great fitting leather case. I have to figure out a way to make the case be able to double as a stand in landscape orientation.

The CPU is powerful enough to do anything I've asked it to do so far. Looking at the specifications, it is odd that the Octacore is made up of two quad core CPUs that run at different frequencies. Lexis Advance Mobile runs fine in a browser, even though I can not believe that Lexis only makes an App for IOS.

Once I settle on a PDF annotator, I think the display is large enough to permit me the ability to sign documents remotely. The only thing that I can't do on the GN5 that I could do on the AVN8 was to edit and annotate documents. The display is too small for that. The 8" display was, IMO, the smallest display that could function in that fashion. I need the S3 if I'm going to actually work with the documents. Not just sign them.

I still need to set up the GPS and the fingerprint reader. I'm also looking forward to trying out the dictation software and see if the noise cancelling mike is any good. The display is the best I've ever seen on a phone. It is very clear and easy to read.

I think the 4GB RAM (2 More than the AVN8) also helps performance. It is very fast as a Wifi Hotspot.

With that, I will leave this page to list related posts, links and other information of interest to those of us using the GN in a support role for our tablets.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2015
    djas and Marty like this.
  2. Bronsky

I finally figured out how to depoly the eraser in EzPDF. The program is a contender for the GN5's PDF annotator. Any other suggestions to try?

I have settled on Here Maps for GPS. The british accent of the AI voice sold me. I'm a sucker for a female british accent.

Is there a simple way to sync my office's outlook with my GN5 without having an enterprise account?

nnthemperor and Mesosphere like this.
  3. AveSharia

AveSharia Scribbler - Standard Member

I may be joining you in a few days here Bronsky. I upgraded my 928 to an Icon, but it didn't use my upgrade (you might want to sell your Verizon stock at about this point in this story) so I also picked up an iPhone 6S. The 6S does make me miss iOS, but I can tell I'm not going to be happy with the device as a whole, so I plan on selling it.

Of course, buying the 6S also didn't use my upgrade, so I'm going to see if I can pull the trigger on a subsidized Note5 tomorrow, when funds come through. It will be my fourth phone in three weeks...

Bronsky likes this.
  4. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Provided you use the same Microsoft account on both devices they should sync automatically.

Twitter is to communications as haiku is to literature.

Bronsky likes this.
  5. Bronsky

Just found Ultra Power Saving Mode.:vbcool:

@Kumabjorn - I have the same accounts on the Surface 3 and Outlook on the GN5 but they do no sunc (or at least I don't know how to make them). We have only stand alone versions of Outlook and do not have an enterprise account. I manually sync my S3 via email from my secretary's computer (also running W10 and stand alone Outlook). I would be happy to do the same with my phone if I knew how. Android needs a full version of Outlook.

The S-Case. In spite of my praise for the S-Cover, I think that the G5 needs a cover that can double as a stand for landscape. I'm thinking that a nice leather cover/stand would be nice. This looked interesting. http://www.ebay.com/itm/GENUINE-LEA...hash=item4d331c801c:m:mfuypsiAQmgLZBah-ZctYJg This one looks good in dark brown. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Card-Slot-F...hash=item2805e90160:m:mmT3awBLNjxl3h9LKd89Ghg

Last edited: Nov 4, 2015
  6. Kumabjorn

Are you telling me that all your e-mail comes to your assistant's account and then you download it from his machine to yours? If you want your e-mail to sync it has to come to the mail server that holds your account (assuming Microsoft's here). If you can't do that because of privacy issues I think you are out of luck.

7. Sweetpea8472

Sweetpea8472 Scribbler - Standard Member

One question regarding the pen. My mother has a Galaxy Note 3 (coming from a Note 2) and she thinks the pen is hardly useable because it's highly inaccurate and you cannot calibrate it (at least, I've not found any indication that you can). I presume you don't have that problem?

8. Bronsky

No. The pen is great. Accuracy is spot-on. I did find this on manually calibratign the SPen. http://phandroid.com/2012/12/05/how-to-adjust-s-pen/ Another suggestion here: http://tmthudugala.blogspot.com/2012/11/how-to-calibrate-samsumg-galaxy-note-2.html

Other suggestions encountered: change the tip, run the pen around the edges of the display, going off at the corners.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2015
  9. Kumabjorn

Strange. I have the Note 3 and have zero problems with accuracy. Maybe she should take it to a Samsung Service Center.

Twitter is to communications as haiku is to literature.

10. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

I'll add the Note 4 to the list of highly accurate calibration (so long as you use an S-Pen).