The Fujitsu LifeBook P1500 Series Tablet PC - First Look (pics, specs)

Discussion in 'News Headlines' started by dunway, Feb 6, 2006.

1. rankine

rankine Pen Pal - Newbie

Sorry, I should have looked myself at Fry's. Yes this is the same notebook they offer. I tried it out at the store and I found the keyboard too big for my fingers and the screen just too small for anything other than e-mail

2. Brian

Brian Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Dunway - It's a matter of scale, you're going to have a hard time convincing PR people to send you review product.

rankine - you must be mistaken or have extremely tiny fingers. How could the keyboard be too big?

3. dunway

dunway Pen Pal - Newbie

IS there any way you can help

4. Brian

Brian Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

5. Madcap

Madcap Pen Pal - Newbie

Lol. Well I guess I'll be going with the 14.1". To bad that narrows my choices a bit. Time to start researching all over again! :D IMO, smaller screens are almost useless lower than 12.1". I own the PSP (Unfortunately), and trying to surf the web on a screen that small is pretty hard. I would imagine a DVD case sized screen is barely any better...

**EDIT** Come to think of it... I can't really see doing anything normal on a screen that small. It would be fine for music probably, but:

Movies? - maybe
    Games? - No
    Photo, video, etc. editing? - No
    Word processing? - fine if you like to scroll a lot
    Web surfing? - Take it from someone that has tried browsing using the PSP... NO!

So who exactly is this targeting? Maybe someone that travels all the time, every second, and needs an itty bitty semi-laptop to do whatever they need(although most of it could barely be done) without sacrificing space?

6. rankine

rankine Pen Pal - Newbie

I meant to say my fingers are too big for the keyboard. I found it very uncomfortable to type.

7. rankine

rankine Pen Pal - Newbie

I agree with you Madcap. I still own my Newton, and tried to surf the web with it, but it was too frustrating

8. Daring

Daring Moderator

While what Poetdante says about 14" screens being closer to the physical size of a piece of paper is true, keep in mind that on computers it is resolution, not screen area, that makes the difference. Any size screen with 1024x768 will display the exact same amount of information. Obviously the smaller the screen the smaller each individual pixel which will result in smaller characters. At some point the characters become so small that a lower resolution is the only option (that's why your PSP doesn't support 1024x768). The other thing that I'd like to add is that computers aren't paper. While the tablet seeks to use a metaphor that we are all used to, a pen, we are no longer bound by physical size at all. Programs like Evernote, OneNote, and GoBinder allow you to have pages of unlimited length.

I contract for a Fortune 50 corporation and it is amazing the number of requests for small form factor laptops. I deal mostly with the sales organization and I can tell you that something like this would be HOT. Carry it under your arm, do your sales presentations, and have all of your forms built in to sell the guy right in his office. Even in spite of the small size the reps will eat it up due to the flash factor. Drag something high tech and cute to boot and you'll have the customer so dazzled with technology he'll sign anything. Sounds rediculous I know, but I've been out on calls with the reps. Half of them carry the laptop not because they love to lug it around, but because the perception from the customer is they're more organized since they use a laptop and not paper.

9. Madcap

Madcap Pen Pal - Newbie

Rankine~
    Yah, the amount of scrolling you have to do on smaller screens is mainly what frustrates me.

Daring~

Point A - Ok, so I guess what I want is a screen that is the size of paper, because I will be going to college soon to get a BA in game art design. One of the main categories in this field revolves around concept art. I personally think that it would feel more natural to be able to have the screen be the same size as a standard piece of paper. This would also make for easier printing because it would be the same size. I also think that it would be easier to relate to trying to draw on something the same size vs trying to draw on something smaller. These are just my opinions though, and I'm sure a 12'1" screen works just as well as the 14.1" for drawing.

Point B - That makes sense. I would be more impressed seeing a laptop to use to fill out forms instead of a huge stack of papers. I'll admit that looks is definitly something I look for when shopping for anything, although in the tech world, I prefer functionality first.

10. Madcap

Madcap Pen Pal - Newbie

It would also make tracing a standard piece of paper simple if you need to. If you were in a team and people had their drawings, you could trace them, and translate them into the laptop for digital editing. During tracing you could also modify it if you needed to.