The Fujitsu LifeBook P1500 Series Tablet PC - First Look (pics, specs)

Discussion in 'News Headlines' started by dunway, Feb 6, 2006.

1. Barry J. Doyle

Barry J. Doyle Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

[​IMG]
    (view larger image)

TheFujitsu P1500Series Tablet PC- a Tiny Titan of a Workhorse

[​IMG]
    My iPod weighs aboutone-third of the whole P1500! (view larger image)

The Fujitsu P1500 Series "notebook" canfinally be called a convertibleTablet PC. In the fall of 2005 Fujitsu made a great decision to update this popular model with Windows XP 2005 Tablet PC Edition. Now this device which isa bit larger(as Fujitsu puts it) than a "DVD case" is fully loaded with the best security, data protection and functionality of the lot. Yet, this model weighs in at a modest 2.2 lbs. Starting at $1499, this uber ultraportable is an a affordable option for the most demanding road warrior who wants to travel light - without sacrificing the full functionality of a truePC.

SPECS

Processor

Intel Pentium M Processor Ultra Low Voltage 753 (1.20 GHz, 2 MB L2 cache, 400 MHz FSB)

Chipset

Intel 915GMS

System Memory

Minimum of 256 MB; one Micro-DIMM slot; maximum memory to 1 GB

Display

8.9" WSVGA display with touch screen

Digitzer

Resistive (Passive)

Video Controller

Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 900. Maximum internal display resolution of 1024x600, 16M colors

Video Memory

Dynamic Video Memory Technology (DVMT) responds to application requirements and efficiently allocates the proper amount of system memory (up to 128 MB) for optimal graphics and system performance

Display Resolution

Internal display resolution (max): 1024x600, 16M colors. External monitor display resolution (max): 1600x1200, 16M colors

Hard Drive
    30 GB or 60 GB; 4200 rpm, P-ATA 100; shock-mounted

Audio

RealTek ALC203 AC'97 Rev. 2.3 compliant, 18-bit stereo full-duplex CODEC with independent and variable sampling rate; headphone, microphone, and stereo line-in jacks; internal built-in microphone included

Communication

56K V.90 modem; 10/100 Base-T/TX Ethernet

Wireless Communication

Integrated Atheros Super AG (802.11a/b/g): Wi-Fi Certified; diversity antenna

User Interfaces

StickPoint by Alps, 82-key keyboard with 16 mm key pitch and 2 mm key stroke

Ports

Two USB 2.0, external monitor, modem (RJ-11), Ethernet (RJ-45), headphone, microphone, and docking port

CF Card Slot

One Type I or Type II CF Card

Media Slot

One Secure Digital (SD) Card

Security Platform
    Integrated biometric fingerprint sensor; embedded Trusted Platform Module (TPM); Kensington lock slot

Battery Life

Standard Lithium ion (3-cell: 10.8V, 2600 mAh); rated up to 3.5 hours of battery life
    High-capacity Lithium ion (6-cell: 10.8V, 5200 mAh); rated up to 7.0 hours of battery life

AC Adapter

Auto-sensing dual voltage support, 100-240V AC; DC 16V, 2.5A

Dimensions and Weight

9.3" x 6.57" x 1.36" - 1.46"; Approximately 2.21 lbs. with a 3-cell battery

Port Replicator Interfaces (Optional)

Two USB 2.0, external monitor, Ethernet (RJ-45), and DC-in

Operating Temperature
    41 F to 95 F (ambient temperature); 20% to 85% relative humidity, non-condensing
    Non-operating Temperature

5 F to 140 F; 8% to 85% relative humidity; non-condensing

Service & Regulatory Information

Regulatory and Compliance

Energy Star-compliant; FCC part 15 Class B and Subpart "C", UL and cUL approved, Industry Canada RSS210, CE Mark, ETS 300-826, ETS 300-328, FCC part 68, IC CS-03
    Warranty

One-year or three-year International Limited Warranty
      24/7 technical support
      Fujitsu Premium Care Service Plans available

[​IMG]
      Reverse engineering? That would be the battery in the front. Smart move. This design leaves the back end flush with the display lid. Secondly, it allows a small area to rest the palms for typing.

[​IMG]
      (view larger image)

This P1500 is yet another model to feature a "trackpoint" type of navigation vs. a trackpad.A functional trackpadwould most likely take up too much space to fit on thissmall device.

[​IMG]
      (
      view larger image)

Above: Screen rotation, scolling and application launch controls are postioned right under the biometric fingerprint sensor.

[​IMG]
      (view larger image)

Above: Status lights and the power button.

[​IMG]
      (view larger image)

The P1500 features an 8.9" WSVGA display. It is bright and clear. In the photo we dimmed the lights a bit to capture the brillance of the screen. In our full review we will take the P1500 outdoors to test visibility in daylight.

[​IMG]
      (view larger image)

Yes, you now get thenew logo on yourIntel sticker - LOL!

[​IMG]
      (view larger image)

The exterior of the P1500 is very attractive. It feels sturdy to the touch and solid in hand. We will go into much further detail on the build quality in the full review. Until then ask yourself if a two-pound tablet computer is a requirement to suit your needs. If this form factor fits the bill for you, check back with us in February for all the details on the P1500.

Barry

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  2. Madcap

Madcap Pen Pal - Newbie

Looks like a nice notebook. One question though. Do you have a reference as to what screen sizes would equate to in real life? If I remember correctly, someone said that the 12.1" screen is the same size as a normal piece of paper. Anyone know for a fact what 14", 12" and 9" screens equate to in real life? I would probably need at least a 8.5x11 piece of paper size screen.

3. Barry J. Doyle

Barry J. Doyle Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Think of a DVD case.

4. Madcap

Madcap Pen Pal - Newbie

Wow. That's pretty darn small. I think I'll stick with the 12.1" assuming that's the screen that is like a piece of paper.

5. Brian

Brian Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

It's very small. I'm on the P7120 and the P1500 finally feels cramped to me. I could use it for short intervals, but I don't think I could get away with using it as my primary machine. They've done an excellent job though with the space they have to work with, very good engineering. If you want to see a bad job, look at the Toshiba Libereto.

6. rankine

rankine Pen Pal - Newbie

What is the difference between this Tablet and the one currently being sold in Fry's Electronics?

7. poetdante

poetdante Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

No. 14.1 like on the toshiba is a piece of paper. it was designed to be that way. 12.1 is smaller. more like a note.

I think this said it was a 9.5, no, 8.9in screen. way to small.

And the 4200 hd is way to slow. what was fujitsu thinking? Unless it weighs like a sleight

8. Brian

Brian Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

rank - I don't know what model you're referring to.

Poet - you can't fit a 2.5" drive into a body this small, expecting them to do so is rediculous.

9. poetdante

poetdante Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I did not know that. I like how small it is. but for me it is too small. does it have an optical drive? I saw a 9in sony laptop. it ran pretty fast. not sure if it had an optical drive

10. dunway

dunway Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey Barry how do i get companies to let me review their products. My school will allow me to put a tech section in the newspaper if i get products to review. I did get to test the TIVO 2 before but nothing else please tell me.