The excuses for sealed devices and non-upgradeable hardware are hereby NULL AND VOID

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by lovelaptops, Nov 7, 2019.

1. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

By sheer coincidence I needed to get the lightest possible laptop (13" or so) for my wife, who's doing a lot of traveling and really needs to keep the load light. After looking at all the usual suspects, I found the LG Gram, which I have known about for years, fit the bill perfectly. I knew it was insanely light (2.1 lbs 13.3"), has better than avg connectivity (USB C - TB optional - USBA, HDMI, micro SD) and phenomenal battery life (72WH batt, 8-10 hrs realistic). All in all, it turned out to be perfect for the need. Been around long enough that it's proven durable and also has been improved over the years. Nice work LG! (Btw, you have no idea how much lighter 2.1 lbs feels than even 2.4 [SP w/TC], much less high 2's. This thing feels like a toy, yet it's all metal.)

But none of the above is why I started this thread! Through the research process I learned that you can open the bottom of this computer and get access to everything, including:

1) A second, open SSD slot, NVME compatible, 1st slot socketed, upgradeable
    2) An empty RAM slot (came with 8GB) to enable up to 24GB
    3) User-replaceable 72 wH battery
    4) Soldered wifi - big deal

Game over Apple, Microsoft, every other mfg that says they can't make a modern, fast, well cooled, long running computing device that isn't sealed for life! Really, either I'm missing something obvious here, or this one rather sleeper of a "specialty" laptop is the exception that disproves the rule.

Now, how do we turn this into a movement? Never gonna get there on "user convenience/flexibility. But environmentally this is a game changer, no?

Last edited: Nov 7, 2019
    thatcomicsguy, JoeS and Marty like this.
  2. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Bump. Thanks for the likes, folks but, somebody: say something!

Seriously, we've had prolonged discussions about this on other threads and yet there was no "smoking gun" that proved that Apple, HP, Lenovo, Microsoft, et al are destroying the planet and screwing customers for no justifiable reason. I mean, I thought maybe there was a manufacturing justification for hermetically sealing all consumer technology, but at least at the size of a medium sized tablet through all classes of laptops, this is pure fraud.

@desertlap: your thoughts please?

3. crazycat

crazycat Scribbler - Standard Member

That's nice. With the size of hardware components keep shrinking as technology getting better, creating light weight device with easily accessible and replaceable is definitely possible.

The main problem is there is nothing we can do about it unless there is rules enforcement in place, like
    Washington Bill Makes It Illegal To Sell Gadgets Without Replaceable Batteries.

It's just easier and cheaper to just glue /solder things together instead of having to design screw hole, pluggable port neatly and cleanly so that customers can easily access it. It would be unnecessary increase cost from the manufacturer's perspective.

More chance of selling new products is another obvious reason. Technology is getting so good that a device can be used a long time. If all parts is replaceable, people will less likely upgrade, especially for things like laptop and tablet. It's a good thing for customers, but not manufacturer and many people might lose their jobs.

lovelaptops likes this.