The End is Near

Discussion in 'Apple/iOS' started by dstrauss, Jun 25, 2020.

1. dellaster

dellaster Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I had no idea. Since my mind was recalling that period, I used a “fanboy” variant that had some popularity 15-20 years ago. Now that I know it’s been claimed by another group I’ll avoid using it. Thanks!

2. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Wow, that was a great piece of work, a very thoughtful analysis (modesty caveats aside :D) and I personally am very, very grateful to you for truly explaining many of the rationales behind Apple's architecture decision. Thanks for realizing I was not asking why they want to make/control their own silicon, just why ARM for the Mac. You covered it all - far more comprehensively than I even expected. Between when I posed the question and got back here to view your reply, I did a little digging (why do research when you can ask TPCR to do the work for you, duh :rolleyes:) and still you added a some helpful perspective. +1++

doobiedoobiedum and Chris_Kez like this.
  3. lovelaptops

Wow, you do have a long memory. Think maybe today's Apple (including, no Steve Jobs, a very methodical Tim Apple) and today's technology and market might make that 14-year old precedent possibly less predictive now? Note also, if memory serves, their Mac sales were a much bigger part of the company's revenues, like over 50%, in 2006, and the PPC models were kinda sucking wind, if memory serves. Just sayin. You're probably right anyway.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2020
  4. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Sigh. My fellow Apple users really dismay me sometimes - but then I was one of those people who happily bought a Mac Clone back in the day (UMAX Pulsar) before Steve Jobs came back and left us up a blind alley.

To be fairminded though - there are people out there who change their Samsung phones on a yearly basis too. I only swapped from my Microsoft phone last December when it was clear WhatsApp wouldn't be supported anymore.

Back to exquisite thinner boxes - two things come to mind - both cynical:
    1) Samsung and other manufacturers will do it too and it'll be OK because an Android phone manufacturer did it. These rival clans feed each other sometimes.
    2) Apple ecosystem & wireless charging - possibly these new phones will be designed to draw charge by being placed next to some other Apple device. It's more likely to tie people into an Apple system if they can only charge wirelessly from another Apple device.

5. lovelaptops

Cynical, yes. Also, I am 100% positive both will prove true, rather quickly. Keep nailing them, @doobiedoobiedum :thumbsup:

doobiedoobiedum likes this.
  6. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

So we have the technology equivalent of this guy....

7. doobiedoobiedum

Having just read @darkmagistric and @JoeS writing about after-market chargers making their different laptops emit loud whining sounds, I remembered this push from the EU in 2009 which is still ongoing. There is also a push for a single standard for laptops and that would make some of these problems go - maybe not for older laptop models but for future ones. It's actually the EU which is pushing for phone chargers NOT to be shipped with each new phone - however they will also demand savings are passed on to customers.

There were 30 different types of phone charger in 2009 in the EU and that has now reduced to 3 (with Apple starting to drop Lightning cables this could become 2 standards only) but the EU is still not happy and pushing for 1 standard for mobile phone chargers. I know in January, Apple were preparing to fight the EU over this but the EU would simply block Apple sales from the European market so there could only be one winner there. This however does not answer @dstrauss's charge of whether Apple and other companies would pass savings on.... I know in Europe - companies won't get away with it for long.

There is now also a push for a single standard for laptops - and this goes back to the issue mentioned in the zbook thread by @darkmagistric of his aftermarket charger making his zbook whine loudly - it could be a firmware issue but I think it's good news for laptop owners in future too. I have at least 4 different chargers here in front of me on my coronavirus home office desk - 3 windows and one macbook - all different PLUS there's also an iPad lightning charger. (I'm not using 4 computers at the same time myself - I'm homeschooling my kids who can't go back to school yet)

p.s. Hopefully some current laptop charging issues via USB Type-C can be solved via firmware. (as mentioned by @JoeS)

Back to Apple, I think Apple put USB-typeC onto iPad Pros not because of an altruistic "let people put their own mouse / USB thumb drive / etc etc" philanthropy - they updated the iPad because they had to in Europe. The byproduct for the iPad Pro and other in-the-future updated iPads is that owners could now add or use other peripherals

Those EU laws weren't actually enacted - those companies have jumped in 2018 before they were forced. This year's iPad Air will definitely and the ordinary iPad might get USB-typeC chargers because they have to go with the directives to allow them to be sold in Europe.

Video not available in the UK. :vbfrown:

Last edited: Jul 6, 2020
    dstrauss likes this.
  8. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

But isn't the iPhone still sold in Europe with lightning port - and will be doing so for iPhone 12 as well? I don't think Apple fears the EU at all - the iPad Pro got USB-C for power and Apple's long term plan develop iPad OS to be a MacOS-type initiative to add keyboards and mice...not to placate the EU charging standards. I don't think Apple fears any regulators (other than complying with their Chinese overlords demands to quash dissent).

9. doobiedoobiedum

The case against Apple using lightning in the EU started this January. It's not quite law yet but the vote in EU Parliament was pretty unanimous

As for Apple vs the EU, they lost a $15billion case which they are appealing for using Ireland as a tax haven to get around EU taxes. Google lost a $2.1 billion case in 2017 which they paid and the EU is currently taking aim at Amazon for anti-competitive dealings. That case starts this month and Apple will be soon after.

Apple don't have to fear the EU unless they wish to keep selling in the EU, if they don't need the sales - they have to take their products elsewhere.

10. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Really not arguing with you friend - but the facts are that iPhone 12 is coming with lightning, so at best they may throw a USB-C adapter in the Euro boxes?

Chris_Kez and doobiedoobiedum like this.