The End is Near

Discussion in 'Apple/iOS' started by dstrauss, Jun 25, 2020.

1. artistebot

artistebot Scribbler - Standard Member

Thanks OP!

IMHO

Windows on desktop for top-end production seems to show few signs of changing except maybe for adoption of Linux on the network basis? In light of Android/Chrome/iOS Windows on mobile, Win 10 w mobile features while innovative and powerful in many ways, does seem to be shrinking in comparable market share? Not to mention if the the mythical Mac vs PC cost was an issue before, then the PC vs Chromebook is even bigger?

It seems more new users of mobile devices are using apps that are not Adobe, Autodesk etc. Windows based mobile devices might become irrelevant in the long term as more of the "angry old men" are left behind clutching their Adobe/Surface etc? I guess I am a "angry old men" in regards to Wacom EMR, but continue try alternatives, including Android, iOS, Chrome. Yes younger content creators are proficient in Adobe, Autodesk etc, but are also flexible enough to alter workflows w apps if they can meet their needs? It should be obvious that apps developed for the iOS, Android, Chrome environment will likely have advantages over a desktop app shoe-horned into the mobile workspace. Todays "amateur" user will become tomorrows "pro" user using new apps and workflows.

I am not happy with the direction the Mac OS is going, but then it makes sense since their hardware is also lagging on the Intel sinking ship. After ~20 years, plus the lack of modern Nivida support was the final nail for me and I have switched my main workstation from an old Mac Pro to a Ryzen Win system and my productivity has increased since I am not limited to "what works on Mac". I still rely upon Mac OS as my internet/downloading/streaming device since they are inherently safer the Win 10 in that environment, in a way a hardware firewall for my PC. :)

I wonder if the switch to ARM will end Hackintosh?

PS: I can't stop staring a those huge microphones they are all using, at least Leo is using one that is black and not screaming "oh I am so Pro w audio!". :)

Last edited: Jun 26, 2020
    dstrauss and Chris_Kez like this.
  2. Chris_Kez

Chris_Kez Reformed Lumia Fan

Surface Pro X Hackintosh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dstrauss and Bronsky like this.
  3. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Well, here we are. Not surprisingly I have the same collection of Apple goodies. My problem is that I am so tempted to go all in this fall, especially if Kuo is right and that first device is a MacBook Pro 13/14 - the line will be more integrated than ever and if Office runs anywhere near acceptable..just sayin...

I sure wish I wasn't so convinced Surface Neo is heading for the round file...

artistebot and Chris_Kez like this.
  4. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

I feel like the thread title is too negative. It's more like "The beginning of the end is here". :p

lovelaptops and Chris_Kez like this.
  5. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

As much as I would still like to argue that Mac on Arm could still be beneficial for Windows on Arm...however in light of the recent announcement MS made of permanently closing all their physical Microsoft Stores, although that doesn't necessarily change the future of WOA....I think it could have unfavorable consequences for the Surface Brand as a whole, which could impact WOA since the Pro X is still kind of the flagship product for WOA.

I mean if Microsoft could have done anything to add fuel to the fire of "The End is Near"....permanently shuttering their stores is a nice burst of lighter fluid on it.

6. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Please! Don't tempt them...I can't take anymore.

JoeS likes this.
  7. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

I have to admit, with Macs looking toward unification, I can't help but wonder if it will be addressing the shortcomings of its OS"s and hardware. I may have let the possibility of applizing my my equipment in the future and help gap a breach that has existed in my family for years slip into my mind.

lovelaptops likes this.
  8. dstrauss

If only our Apple overlords
    :eek:

Next we’ll see Thurrott typing on a MacBook Pro!

I’m thinking the same thing - especially being able to really combine business and family. If only our Apple overlords would deign to grace us peasants with Pencil support on the iPhone...

Last edited: Jun 28, 2020
  9. dstrauss

Not surprisingly, Thurrott is walking back some of his immediate response to Mac-A:

"But it’s important to remember one salient fact: Switching platforms—from Windows to Mac, perhaps, or from Android to iPhone, won’t actually solve any problems. All you’d be doing is trading familiar and thus readily-solved problems for new and unfamiliar problems. It’s not like the Mac and iPhone are perfect, after all. If they were, we’d all be using those platforms already.

Put another way, I’m not going to switch to the Mac because the UI is suddenly beautiful and more consistent. The Mac UI has almost always been beautiful and consistent. What I want, what I have been calling for, for years—and what most of you want, I suspect—is for Windows to be beautiful and consistent. But I’m resigned to a fate in which that never happens. Whatever. I still very much prefer Windows."

Whatever. No one even implied the whole the whole universe is going Apple (well, Laporte thinks we are right where we were with the original iPhone release). 1,000,000,000 users is not a ship you can steer fast enough to avoid that iceberg. There are also numerous ways this can go sideways for Apple. But Apple delivered it's 2,000,000,000th iOS device two years ago...and that's a lot of experience in the iOS world (of course, there are a lot of multiple device users like me, so the total number of "users" is obviously less).

But it is that bold highlight that seals Windows fate - it will languish on in big enterprise environments, much like that Windows XP device in your dentist's office, or in our building marquee. There are just too many desktops in too many offices to replace from a single vendor source - but the future of the high end, where all of the money will be made, is set.

10. dellaster

dellaster Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member