The decision will be made...and soon.

Discussion in 'Acer (Gateway)' started by nikecar, May 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ownallogist

Ownallogist Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey guys,

I spend a decent amount of time here scanning different threads and absorbing as much information as my already-to-the-brim memory can hold.

Soon I will be faced with a monumental decision - which laptop to buy!? I will be starting college in late August and need a laptop to support me along the journey.

I have already filled out the survey and, due to my restricted budget, have narrowed the choices down to the HPTX2000 and the GWC14#XL.

The GW seems to be the better choice for me - decent sized screen, dedicated gpu (which is nice, but not a necessity), etc. However, I have been told by some friends that GWs are unreliable and unrealistic for the length of my collegiate adventure (4-5 years).

So now I pose the questions:

Would the Gateway tablets, specifically 141 and up, hold up through time? If I do buy one, should I purchase repair service in place of something else?

Thanks in advance.

2. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

If you can afford it, i'd get the warranty/repair service. Find out what their policy is on when you you can buy it. Some companies you can buy it up to a year after the original purchase.

But the warranties pay off if you do have to actually have to get the machine fixed.

3. nikecar

nikecar Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

even lexuses and Mercedes have lemons.

As long as you treat it well, it should last.

We have some 5-6yo GW machines at work and they are performing as well as the Dells.

We have an HP desktop that is about 4-5 yrs old and still runs fine (except the malware that got on it from my mom and sister in law when they came over!!! :( )

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.