The Days of My Life... with the silly R1.

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Barry J. Doyle, Nov 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. supernova

supernova Pen Pal - Newbie

Being a regular guy, I need help from any tech heads willing to answer:

I have a GyroMouse Pro, 2000 model, with a PS/2 connector. I bought a $7 USB adaptor for it but Windows XP won't recognise it? "Unknown Device" it mutters. I can't even "Update Driver" as when I do, using standard mouse drivers, Mr XP again shows indifference and says "No info about your hardware found in file..." or so.

So I ask my friend Google.com and his army of responders say there are two types of adaptors - passive and active. I guess I bought the passive one. Where can I get an active one? Is there a cheaper solution? (like a registry hack that won't burn me?)

I even tried going back to the company via email query and they said I have to call them. I don't really feel like calling America from Australia, I listen to enough Americans on free-to-air TV (90% of our shows are American. Ok, slight exaggeration. Slight. We copy all your shows though. Idol, Dancing with the Stars, Biggest Loser, it's so lame. And not to mention CSI, Dr House, Oprah, Dr Phil, Jericho, OC, and forever more. "Ah, America, it's all over me!" (like in Madagascar). Anyone have a pdf manual for starting your own country?)

Anyway for those of you who don't know what a gyro mouse is, basically it's a mouse you use in the air (built-in gyro sensing your movements). Just flisk your wrist up, down , side, side, and it moves your cursor like a normal pretty mouse. Good for presentations where you're standing up, or parties where you have Shuffle turned on in Windows Media Player and you need to remix the songs while dancing. Yes I dance with my mouse. And my stylus - the scratched one. That brings an idea to mind - with that mouse I can create abstract paintings in Paint while dancing, then auction on ebay or show on YouTube and fetch a measly $2billion!

Anyway, anyone want to help? I'll send you a free (scratched) R1 stylus?

Next topic...

My hard drive sucks. Or maybe Windows sucks. Well something sucks because I power on the R1, it kicks into the Windows login screen (automatic as I have fingerprint enabled at BIOS entry), then after that I wait for almost half a century before it kicks into Windows desktop! Half a century equates to about 4minutes, or the time it takes to burn sunny-side-up eggs because you're watching the R1 to do something (like watching Cricket).

I did the full Recovery reinstall, twice. No do. I cleared TPM via BIOS thinking that might be the issue. No do. I used CCleaner to clean the Registry. No do. I asked my IT shop, they said try Safe Mode and look for the problem. No do (cos I did that and had no idea what to do next). I tried asking Google.com, he just delegated to useless others. So here I am trying you guys, being the most intelligent creatures on the net (I'm desperate).

I've also found that using programs like Defragment (from Accessories > System) and WinDVD 6.0 hangs forever before they kick in. Must be related to the login issue. Like I turn them on and it seriously takes about the time I can shower before they activate. And then when I approach the darn things with my mouse and try to click something, they freeze up again, then takes another shower to re-activate. As it stands right now I'm one totally clean and fresh guy. Anyone ever have this problem? It doesn't occur with any other program and the system therwise runs quite fine.

To be very honest I feel totally alone. I don't think anyone can help me. I mean, if Google can't!?

:(

One more topic for the heck of it... You know how I said in my first post that the R1 stylus can become a good luck charm at getting girls. Well a lot more (than usual) approach me to check it out you know. "Oh cool" "You're such a geek (with wink)" "Lemme play" "You and your R1 complete me". Might be a sign that I'll be getting married on the net and using the R1 to sign our wedding papers. nooooot. I'll tell all you boys and girls out there something - the world isn't necessarily a better place because of all our technology, seriously, I'll have Al Gore preach on this. I've made a personal goal that by 30 I'll reduce my technology acquisitions by half and get back to nature and real life. It will be a tough battle knowing how juicy our inventiveness are becoming - I reckon we'll eventually have clothes that will produce musical sounds as we play air guitar - and it's here!

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  2. alphaswift

alphaswift Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Boot time: Run msconfig and go to the startup tab. Clear out the apps that you don't really need to run. The default installation from Asus has a ton of useless-ware you probably don't need.

If things are still slow, check your Event Viewer and see if anything bad is happening.

The Gyromouse: Anything with a PS/2 connector is getting long in the tooth. Hit their website for XP drivers instead of installing standard mouse drivers. I'd worry, though -- any company that wants a phone call rather than e-mail is a little wrong in the head.

So...you dance while holding your Gyro mouse, listening to music off of your tablet and copy Dr. Phil shows. You sound like a total chick magnet. Good luck with that. :)

3. adamb78

adamb78 Pen Pal - Newbie

Uninstall anything under add/remove programs that you don't actually use. If you've never heard of it, don't worry; the worst thing that could happen is you could uninstall a driver or something and have to re-install it from Asus's website.

If you're really adventurous, hunt down a copy of Windows Vista x86, backup your data, and do a clean install (format your hard drive during the install). This will make a night and day difference for you. You will need to see the other thread though in this forum about getting Vista drivers. But for example I have vista now and it takes about 20 seconds from when I turn on the computer until I am actually in windows ready to go. From the login screen to my desktop is about 10 seconds.

4. Barry J. Doyle

Barry J. Doyle Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Sometimes technology can become bloody frustrating to the point of a mental meltdown. I am sorry about all the problems - and I am going to contribute to this post without any tech advice, but insteade try to weigh in with regards to some "humanity" and compassion.

I say you take time away and touch base with nature or music or whatever it is that can help recharge your soul. This may sound odd coming from a guy who has been running a Tablet PC website for 3 years, but hey, I have been there. I jammed with a drummer and vocalist today with my beloved Les Paul and a nice vintage tube amp. No mobile computer in sight, no "pedal board", just my guitar through a tube amp. Organic tone, great free jams and improvisation, I feel so refreshed - playing guitar recharges my battery. Whether its climbing a mountain, strolling through the park, working in the garden or a game of tennis - take a break from your R1F and come back to it. (Besides you might meet more girls that way - lol!) Hoping things get better supernova.

Sincerely,

Barry

5. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Re the Gyro Mouse....
    I have the Gyration USB Mouse & Keyboard which works like a charm.
    Does your Gryro product come from gyration supernova?

If so, you can contact them via email here.

....and now back to my bed :)

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  6. techaholic

techaholic Pen Pal - Newbie

Me i Fish therefore I am.... Just bought the XBOX360 for the kids :) balance my friend balance....

7. supernova

supernova Pen Pal - Newbie

barry, you inspire me. ill go for a long serene walk now through wonderful nature, guided by my GPS....

8. Barry J. Doyle

Barry J. Doyle Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Okay, I forgot to respond to this. I am laughing - HARD!