The current status of my battery

Discussion in 'Asus' started by weinilourson, Aug 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. weinilourson

weinilourson Pen Pal - Newbie

After our first "long" thread about the R1F battery, what is your battery status like now?

I'm asking this because I am having great trouble with surviving through the day, even with my 2nd battery in place. I'm getting progressively shorter battery life every day.

What's worse is that my battery meter shows a longer duration than there actually is left in the battery, i.e. I am misled to think that I actually have a longer battery life than there really is.

e.g. My battery meter read 1:45 (yeah - that's how long I get with my main battery now, fully charged in battery saving mode, only using microsoft word). But in actual fact, my battery ran out after 45 mins!!! That's really unacceptable, which means that I must have power supply practically all the time.

That defeats the purpose of a laptop in the first place :mad:

I am so inclined to sell this an get a Fujitsu T4220...

weini

2. jdwilson

jdwilson Scribbler - Standard Member

I really shouldn't post yet, but what the heck. I'm on my 2nd replacement battery and have had this one for over a month. So far it has not shown any wear.

HOWEVER, I have not done any deep drains (<20&#37;) and have only dipped below 40% a couple of times. The battery indicator claims I should get around 2.5 hours and I don't have any reason to doubt this.

One reason I haven't done any deep drains yet is that I'm still using the external battery I've posted about before (bought from batterygeek if you want to do a search for the posts). It is still doing great and gives me several hours of power which is great when I'm sitting somewhere without access to AC. I use the main battery primarily when I need mobility or for short term power, so that's why I haven't done any deep drains. But I'm planning on doing one sometime soon just so I can see if the improved performance is for real.

3. R D E

R D E Pen Pal - Newbie

Yep, it gets worse too mate.

If I pull the power cord out my Asus R1F on full charge it will immediately do many or all of the following.

Orange light blinks
    Display 0&#37; as the amount of power left
    Bizarrely switch the back light of, which I can switch back on using fn+f7 but it will switch off again
    R1F shuts down after a couple of minutes or straight away sighting low power as the reason.

My Asus R1F simply is not portable at all. Every week I check these forums to see if a solution has been made. I suspect most who visit this Asus section of the forum do the same in vein. I have accepted nothing is going to happen though and will simply not buy another Asus notebook again. Am annoyed, it inconveniences me and I feel cheated. Its very infuriating knowing Asus are purposely not going to do anything about it and get away with it. But at the end of the day it ain't the end of the world.

I simply haven't ever bothered ringing Asus up as judging by all the comments it gets you no where. Just frustrating calls, useless replacement battery's and weeks without a notebook. You just have to accept it, you bought a broken product that is always going to stay broken, like when you buy something broken from a car boot sale.

:(

4. The Niles

The Niles Scribbler - Standard Member

My first RMA has been ordered and I'm awaiting the call to see when I can have my R1F picked up. I also bought the extended battery. Now I have a battery life of 5 hours on idle with heavy use it is 3 hours 20 minutes. The main battery has about 35-45&#37; wear and can get 2 hours 30 minutes on idle.

5. alphaswift

alphaswift Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

All of these problems and you haven't even tried to call Asus? Come on. At least give them a chance to mess up before you condemn them.

6. chinesefireball121

chinesefireball121 Scribbler - Standard Member

RDE - as alphaswift says you should at least try. Besides though are problems I haven't seen before, so for all you know you may have an issue that can be fixed by a replacement of something

7. atarisix

atarisix Pen Pal - Newbie

RDE - you called me out on this one. I am sure most owners visit this forum looking for fixes, but haven't posted (like me) as there is not much to contribute since most problems have been posted while few fixes have been found (I've had the unit since early Jan). I too have been having strange battery/power issues, similar to what you mention. Erratic power remaining times, spontaneous shut downs and screen outtages. Full charge shows 1:45, but after 1 hour, it will be critical and shut down (37% wear in mobmeter). I will have near 0% battery after a few days of not using/not plugging the unit in while in hibernate mode. My 8 year old Toshiba (that I upgraded from) has a useless battery, but at least has no noticeable discharge while hibernating! Lately, the R1F has not been charging when the AC adapter is plugged in. The icon in the corner changes to the plugged in symbol, but the charging part of the symbol will not show up. If I remove and plug in in a few times it will start charging and the charging led will come on. FYI, I have caused no physical abuse to bring this issue about.

The power issues are my biggest gripe since, as you mentioned, the unit has no useful portability. I also suffer from scratched pen and static in the headphones. I'll maybe post some more of my woes now that I have joined.

I haven't attempted RMAs yet, since I just couldn;t part with my unit for any length of time. I am a little less busy now, so I may as well give it a shot. I bet if all viewers voiced up, there would be a lot more unhappy owners.

Lastly, can anyone tell me more (or point me to a thread) outlining the proess for RMAing in the USA? I haven't seen any details other than it is commonly done. Are they generally open to taking in the unit? Who pays shipping? What is the turnaround? Where does it go? Is there anyone better to talk to?

Thanks to all who contribute to this forum. I think is of at least some comfort that others have to deal with many headaches in this theoretically great tablet.

8. jdwilson

jdwilson Scribbler - Standard Member

See this comment for my experience with a RMA in the USA.
    http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/showthread.php?p=61151#post61151
    My impression is that folks in the UK and perhaps elsewhere get horrible RMA service, but that Asus North America has at least adequate service. (Your mileage may vary.)

Thanks for your post atarisix. Generally the resellers who occasionally comment in this forum patiently explain to us that only the few complainers visit forums, and that the silent ones are happy customers. Thanks for pointing out that silence can also come from a feeling of hopelessness.

9. Jurisprudence

Jurisprudence Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey JD and others. JD i'd be careful what you say about Asus UK. The last time I voiced an opinion someone else who has since joined this forum basically told me it was because of people like me that Asus UK give such poor service and also that I and others on this forum were basically creating a campaign of false propaganda against Asus. That person goes by the name Collegy and is now a member of this forum.

http://www.gearlog.com/2007/08/unboxing_with_pc_mag_4.php

Of course he has yet to respond to the last comment I made on the issue but that doesnt surprise me. Posting my complaints is supposedly imposing my opinion on others. If your listening i'm calling on you to respond to myself and others who have these issues and tell us all we are acting unfairly

As those in the know will know I got my R1f in early April, it was highly malfunctional by late April, then by Asus I was laughed at, lied to, told to go sort things by myself, delayed and after finally getting it to repair and waiting 6 weeks they sent it back and I received it on the 19th July smashed up with none of the repairs done, same faulty battery and robbed of eqiupment I had paid for from my tablet pc ensemble. Now their just ignoring me hoping I will go away. Im at 45% wear and cant bring it out of the house. My R1f also suffers the same 'plugged in but not charging' thing you describe, and the turning off randomly and everything else you could imagine.

I better go back to being quiet now before i'm told to grow up and shut my propagandist mouth again. Guess there really is no such thing as free speech or consumer rights either on forums or in the corporate mind of Asus Global.

10. atarisix

atarisix Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks JD. I'll try my luck with a call to ASUS soon. I am surprised to hear that the resellers feel that a lack of negative voices means they must be posutive voices. My thoughts would be that many just can't deal with the hassle of going through RMAs and being without their unit for a period of time, hoping to find an easy solution somewhere (like here).