The Courier appears to be real

Discussion in 'The Tablet PC Life' started by DRTigerlilly, Mar 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CalebSchmerge

CalebSchmerge Woof

I am really curious about this device - I don't think it will be out in time, but I was hoping to see if it would be a serious contender for use for taking notes in vet school. I don't need a computer - I need a device that does a good job on notes. My gaming desktop will do the rest. But, this might end up being too little too late. Glad to see its out there, though.

2. A30N

A30N Technologist

Of course its real! My future self told me it's the most awesome device I've ever owned!

3. frog

frog Scribbler - Standard Member

It looks amazing - the video in that link showed a really nice interface and the productivity tools also look fantastic. A million times better than the iPad.

4. heatlesssun

heatlesssun Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Still on that X41? I can understand not needing a computer but a Tablet PC like the tm2 is as good as it gets in terms of features and flexibility, and that will probably still be the case even after Courier's release.

I will DEFINITELY pick up a Courier primarily because I want to develop for it. But I don't seeing a device even like this replacing my tm2. I'll still want my keyboard and apps and media files that would probably need to be trans coded down. But yeah this could the device that I would carry to places from time to time instead of my tm2.

Hopefully this thing has AWESOME integration with Office 2010. That's key to me. I would want the ability to have my OneNote notebooks to sync up at the very least. What I'm hoping is that the OneNote client on the Courier is file compatible with the Windows version of OneNote or has some type of interoperability capability, possibly in the form of a Windows app that acts as an interface between desktop OneNote and Courier OneNote.

That would be fantastic but I guess it will be some time before we know much of Courier's capabilities.

5. heatlesssun

heatlesssun Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I just had a thought. Isn't it curious that this was leaked the same day the launch date of the iPad was announced? That was no coincidence.

6. CalebSchmerge

CalebSchmerge Woof

Yes, I am still on the X41. It has seemed to really be showing its age - but I think thats mostly because I spend so much time on my Quad Core PC, with 8GB RAM, SSD and RAID drives, etc. This thing (X41) works for what I do, but I just feel like I want more. I also fear that in a few years it won't be capable enough.

The TM2 is currently what I am planning on getting for vet school - unless something better comes or this courier turns out to be a good alternative and will be available roughly in time.

My X41 can barely make it through an hour and a half lecture with screen brightness almost to nothing. Even at full brightness its hard to see on it. I am excited for an upgrade, but not sure I want to spend the money on it.

7. craigt

craigt Pen Pal - Newbie

I love the idea of this device. My X61 is great but still too big and heavy to be with me everywhere. The Courier looks basically like a digital Moleskine. The form factor, small and foldable, is awesome. This is exactly the sort of device I want for working on research, especially synced with the cloud and accessible from my desktop and laptop, something like an Evernote pad.

Has anyone seen any similar devices rumored lately, other than the slates ala HP's new one and the iPad?

8. BK_NC

BK_NC Pen Pal - Newbie

I hope the Courier lives up to the concept videos. The fact that these have leaked all over the internet, accidently or intentional, means MS really needs to live up to these things. If the interface or what you can do with it is dumbed down and doesn't come close to these videos that would be a huge disappointment for me.

While I love the idea of the iPad, I could see myself more likely to invest in the Courier because it wouldn't just be a media consumption device (I think that will be part of it) but it could be a great productivity device. Something for work and home.

My biggest worry is MS living up to this bar they've set for themselves. That interface is elegant, beautiful, intuitive, and refreshing. Thats not something they've been known for.

9. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Without the weight of legacy code, MS does great UI. See XBox360 and Zune HD.

10. BK_NC

BK_NC Pen Pal - Newbie

I didn't think about the Zune HD that is a gorgeous UI. Although I have to say I didn't care for my X360 UI until they did the NXE upgrade.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.