The Best Screen Protector

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Nancy_Brown, Dec 9, 2014.

?

What screen protector brand do you regard as the best (if you had to pick one)?

1. Photodon

31 vote(s)
    59.6%
  2. 3M Vikuiti

3 vote(s)
    5.8%
  3. NuSheild

4 vote(s)
    7.7%
  4. Strong Engineering (BStrong)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Clarivue

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. WriteSHIELD

5 vote(s)
    9.6%
  7. TrueVue

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Other...

9 vote(s)
    17.3%
  1. siddhartth

siddhartth Scribbler - Standard Member

I will see if tech armour guys deliver or honour their warranty in India.
    And thanks that you came along otherwise @Mesosphere came very close to converting me to his wierd sect of screen nudists.
    How's the parallax after that?

2. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...My surface pro 4 is just a naked tablet. I have to travel and take it in a bag that is usually full of many other things...>>

sid: In general, sonichedgehog and I have similar opinions about screen protectors; I am also an advocate. Over the years, I've used both plastic and glass SPs and this discussion thread (among others) contains many of my comments and impressions about them. For that reason, I'll keep this post short and to the point:
    • Over the years, there is no question that tablet screens have become more durable and damage resistant. So a screen protector is much more an issue of personal preference than it used to be.
    • Nonetheless, the use case that you describe (bag full of many things) makes a screen protector a wise choice.
    • Even if you owned a keyboard for your Surface Pro, a screen protector might be desirable; over the years, I have noticed marks (but not scratches) on my Surface screens due to rubbing against the keycaps. If a bit of sand or grit happened to be on one of those keys, I suspect I would have seen some mild scratching.
    • Both glass and plastic SPs work well. Cost and preference (especially inking feel) are the biggest considerations.
    • I remind you that inking feel is the product of two factors: The SP surface finish and the pen nib. In today's world, both can be varied. If you don't already have one, buy a nib pack for your Surface pen.
    • Glass SPs have the hardest surfaces and feel just like a bare screen. They are typically ~0.33 mm thick. Parallax is not an issue. Clarity is not an issue. They are perhaps not the easiest SPs to apply (they flex slightly, but not a lot). I have used a few brands and have never noticed any significant reduction in touch sensitivity, but I have no argument with those who claim otherwise. In a curious case of coincidence, I also have a Tech Armour SP on my SP4!
    • Plastic SPs offer a broad range of surface finishes and film (material) type. I have written extensively about Photodon in this thread (see posts #57 & 58), And I use a 6HS screen protector on my Z Canvas. Clarity, durability and inking feel are fine with the nib of my choice. IIRC, it was also only $15! And it was easy to apply. See Post #8 in this discussion thread: http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/threads/surface-pro-screen-protector.55355/page-2
    Good luck.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2016
  3. kidrow

kidrow Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi, I'm a bit confused about which of these protectors will not get scuff marks after a stylus is used on them.

I'm making a distinction between scuffs & scratches. But are the SP manufactures making such a distinction? Is it that their protectors which are advertised as being scratch-resistant are the only ones meant for a stylus, while all the others are only for finger-touch?

For instance, are the Photodon protectors cheaper than the 6hs, meant for use with a stylus? (I have a Lenovo x230t with a Wacom stylus).

I have been using cheap, regular SPs meant for finger-touch only for a while now. They get scuffed up quite easily. Once it gets too bad, I replace it with another cheaper one.

Just wondering if there is one that I can install & forget about for an extended period of time. The thread details a lot of things such as screen clarity, color reproduction, glare, feel etc. which are, at this point in time, a secondary consideration for me.

Many thanks.

4. Starlight5

Starlight5 So what if I'm crazy? The best people are.

I tried applying a screen protector to one of my tablets today, and it turned out a complete disaster. Even after 10 or so attempts, I wasn't able to avoid dust and other particles. It seems the enviroment here is too dusty - even steamy bathroom - and I have no access to vacuum chamber or something similar. Could those NOT using screen protectors please kindly provide some advice on keeping the screen scratch-free when using stylus?

5. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Most of my tablets are not screen protected. Don't throw your device in a bag without a cover or sleeve and avoid jewelry on your drawing hand. That's all it takes to be scratch free.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Starlight5 likes this.
  6. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

This article seems a little late to the party, but it might be helpful for recent SP4 owners:

http://www.windowscentral.com/best-tempered-glass-screen-protector-surface-pro-4

(Courtesy of WindowsCentral site)

There a lot of tempered glass screen protectors out there but based on my experience, not all of them are equally desirable. The issue is whether the cutout along the top edge covers the front-facing camera or the microphone hole. By coincidence, I happen to have an IntelliARMOR glass SP on my SP4. The cutout is wide enough to not cover any of the imaging or sound devices, and it fits the screen very well. If you look closely at the other three SPs mentioned in the article above, you'll notice that they all appear to share the same attribute...