The Best Screen Protector

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Nancy_Brown, Dec 9, 2014.

?

What screen protector brand do you regard as the best (if you had to pick one)?

1. Photodon

31 vote(s)
    59.6%
  2. 3M Vikuiti

3 vote(s)
    5.8%
  3. NuSheild

4 vote(s)
    7.7%
  4. Strong Engineering (BStrong)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Clarivue

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. WriteSHIELD

5 vote(s)
    9.6%
  7. TrueVue

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Other...

9 vote(s)
    17.3%
  1. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...can't find MXR anywhere on their website...>>

...It looks like they are now calling that film MXH. Recall that in my sample pack, one of the samples was marked MXH-R, while on their site (at that time) they only listed MXR. Looks like they simply renamed the film, and my sample was from the transition period.

<<...I was going to order custom sample pack...>>

...I guess that covers the ground. I noticed image anomalies using MXG, so its 75% matte surface looked like overkill to me. I also didn't see a lot of perceptible differences (visual or inking feel) between the mid-range matte samples (MXT to MXF), however you may have sharper eyes than me. I can't speak to some of their newer film types, like MXC or 6HS.

<<...many people prefer hard felt nibs...According to some, those wear-out extremely fast...while all other nibs are more likely to scratch both screen and screen protector...>>

...Not my observations. Felt nibs will wear out, especially if you have a "heavy hand," but I wouldn't call it "extremely fast." In addition, I think that felt nibs pose a bigger risk than some of the other nib types for scratching because if a grit particle gets embedded in the nib, it's harder to brush or wipe off. However, the bottom line is that all these risks are statistical; you may be extremely careful and still get a scratch. That's why some of us use SPs for their insurance value...

PS: Making nibs is an interesting idea, but I would never do it. Using fine grit paper to smooth the tip sounds great, but the risk of leaving an embedded particle seems unusually risky to me...

siddhartth and Starlight5 like this.
  2. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

For wacom products, you could make all the nibs you want with just toothpics, sand paper and a little manuality. Feels definitely better than the standard plastic nibs.

Regarding the screen protector: I only tried the matte pack. Besides the first two flavours the others felt too 'noisy' on my eyes. I have yet to try the crystal clears.

Starlight5 likes this.
  3. Starlight5

Starlight5 So what if I'm crazy? The best people are.

Photodon and NuShield have ridiculous international shipping prices, to the point it looks like a rip-off; found 3M Vikuiti and Lexerd Truevue with affordable shipping, but they are more expensive, especially the former; WriteShield, Clarivue, Bstrong don't have screen protectors readily available for my model. What a disappointment. =\

4. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

Strange, I remeber paying 2.50$ of shipment for a pack of samples from Usa to Italy from Photodon. It arrived in 10 days
    Bought a couple of screen protectors from Posr.us last year and that costed me a bit, but it was a USPS First class package international, not the standard.
    Better not saying how much I spent in shipment from Amazon for the Asus pt201q! :D

Starlight5 likes this.
  5. Starlight5

Starlight5 So what if I'm crazy? The best people are.

Azzart, for shipping a screen protector I will have to pay $17.2, i.e. $30 to $40 total, depending on film type I choose. =( Anyway, ordered a sample pack (custom that we discussed before) - shipping it costs $2.5 indeed, and there's a $5 coupon.

6. Steve S

An important note: 3M Vikuiti is not suitable for screens that are touch sensitive!

Marty and Starlight5 like this.
  7. Steve S

This was originally posted in the Sony / VAIO forum, but I thought that it would be useful here, and potentially more visible. "SP" means Screen Protector, of course, and "ZC" refers to the VAIO Z Canvas tablet. The ZC has an absolutely beautiful LCD screen. "SP4" is the Surface Pro 4, specifically the updated N-trig pen that was introduced with that model.

I've been experimenting with five different Photodon films: MXA, MXC and 6HS which are clear films with no glare reduction and MXH and MXF which have light matte finishes for mild glare reduction. The problem is that I don't really like any of them very much. I'm judging in two areas:
    • Clarity: After spending this kind of money, I don't want an SP that spoils the quality of the screen image, and...
    • Pen Feel: I'd like an SP that has a little bit of inking resistance ("bite") but not too much.
    Four of the five films have (probably) adequate clarity (MXF just starts to impact image clarity, to my eye), however, none of them has what I consider to be a good overall inking feel. Interestingly, although I didn't start with touch feel in mind, I've observed significant differences in how easily my finger tip can glide on these films, but I continue to use pen feel as my principal focus. I've been testing 3" x 5" samples of each film using the ZC's pen (with the "soft" gray nib) and a Surface Pro 4 pen with an HB nib. The ZC nib is actually much harder than the SP4 nib, but even so the feel of each is noticeably different on each film. And another complication; I've noticed that since I received them earlier this week, the overall feel of a few of the films has been changing! The pen feel on some has been "improving" (getting less draggy)! Taking this into consideration, here's my take on the five films:
    • MXA: Mildly draggy on the finger tip; not too bad. Noticeable (too much) drag on the ZC nib. Drag on the SP4 HB nib a little high, but not too bad. Clear, so image quality OK.
    • MXC: Too much drag on finger tip. Initially, too much drag on both nibs. Days later, fairly good feel with both nibs. This may partially be the effect of finger oils; cleaning the film with a good quality cleaning solution (RoR), the MXC was still "OK" with the ZC nib, but was a little too draggy with the SP4 nib for my taste. Clear, so image quality OK.
    • 6HS: Far and away the most consistent film in terms of time; I noted no changes over the several days I've been testing. Some finger drag; verging on undesireable. "Slick" feel with the ZC nib. Mild and acceptable drag with the SP4 nib. Clear, so image quality OK.
    • MXH: Very light finger drag; acceptable. Dramatic change in pen feel with time. Initially, unacceptably high drag on both pens. Days later, pretty good level of feel on both pens. ZC nib feel was slightly slick and SP4 pen had acceptable drag. This film is matted and introduces just very slight hazy over the screen image. It's hard to see, but it's definitely there.
    • MXF: Almost the same as MXH. Very light finger drag. Very pronounced change over time. Initially, unacceptable pen feel. Now, slightly too much drag on the ZC nib, but pretty nice feel on the SP4 nib. To my eyes, this film looks almost identical to MXH in terms of screen image, a very slight hazy effect. Held right next to each other, MXF is just slightly more hazy than MXH, but it wasn't too easy to see the difference on the screen.
    At the moment, The stability of the 6HS film is significant to me and if I end up ordering a Photodon SP that will likely be the film I'll choose, but with the ZC nib, the feel is totally slick. The SP4 pen with the HB nib has reasonable feel, and there is one nib on either side of HB that I can try for "fine-tuning." So that's the way I'm likely to go... unless I can think of something better...

siddhartth likes this.
  8. Steve S

Update on Photodon SP Films:

...One final comment on the Photodon films, just to close out one unresolved (in this thread, at least) issue. I spent a few days trying to figure out the "aging" issue that I thought I was seeing on several of the film samples. Turned out that it was nothing more than finger oils; when I was careful to clean each sample before testing the pens (and not doing the touch feel test first!) the pen feel turned out to be uniform no matter what part of the sample I tried.

Here's my current take on the five films:
    • MXA: Mild drag on the finger tip; not too bad. Too much drag on the ZC nib. Drag on the SP4 HB nib is high, was objectionable to me. Clear, so image quality OK.
    • MXC: Too much drag on finger tip. Too much drag on both nibs. Clear, so image quality OK.
    • 6HS: Some finger drag; verging on undesireable. "Slick" feel with the ZC nib. Mild and acceptable drag with the SP4 nib. Clear, so image quality OK.
    • MXH: Very light finger drag; acceptable. High drag on the SP4 nib and unacceptable (actually squeaked!) drag on the ZC nib. This film is matted and introduces just very slight hazy over the screen image. It's hard to see, but it's definitely there.
    • MXF: Very similar to MXH. Very light finger drag. Slightly too much drag on the ZC nib, slightly too much drag on the SP4 nib. To my eyes, this film looks almost identical to MXH in terms of screen image, a very slight hazy effect. Held right next to each other, MXF is just slightly more hazy than MXH, but it wasn't too easy to see the difference on the screen.
    Again, note that these comments apply to the SP4 pen with HB nib and the ZC pen with the "softer" gray nib. Using a harder nib in either of these pens (H or 2H on the SP4 pen. Black nib on the ZC pen?) would likely lower the drag and make for better inking feel...

9. walker145

walker145 Pen Pal - Newbie

I use ZAGG InvisibleSHIELD for my phone and tablet.
    It is high definition protector offers advanced clarity and a glass-like surface, while the EXTREME offers break protection and shock resistance.

10. kiran chaitanya

kiran chaitanya Pen Pal - Newbie

i recommend photodon