The artist's world

Discussion in 'The Tablet PC Life' started by Kumabjorn, Oct 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IsaacKuo

IsaacKuo Pen Pal - Newbie

Perhaps I'm missing something, but can't you just add the project directory to your Favorites (in Windows)? That way, it will appear as one of your favorites folders in the Open File dialog (a single click shortcut).

In the file open dialog, you just find the project folder and drag it into the Favorites where you want it (near the top, near the bottom, whatever).

I'm more of a Linux guy, myself; there's an equivalent feature of "favorite" folders in Linux dialog boxes. In Linux, it works much the same way...within the dialog box, just find the folder and drag it to somewhere in the Favorites section.

I'm not familiar enough with OSX to know for sure, but I think there is similar functionality in OSX's open file dialog.

Demon DC likes this.
  2. WillAdams

WillAdams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Not all of the apps in question support Favorites

3. balistic

balistic wacom jock

If you consider content creation as a whole, Macs seem to have a market share that is in line with where they are in the consumer PC space. Industrial design, print design, 2D animation, and concept art are where you see Macs having a definite presence. 3D animation and game development much less so, primarily because those industries need more horsepower and reliability than an iMac can provide (and the new Mac Pro is a strange, pricey beast). Also, among professional graphics apps, Nvidia's GPUs are supported to a *much* greater degree than AMD's are.

The primary reason Windows still dominates has less to do with Windows and more to do with the flexibility and affordability of the hardware that runs it.

There's also a certain amount of doubt among digital artists about how committed Apple is to content creators. Apple's professional-grade hardware is much less lucrative for them than their consumer-oriented products, and in the past they haven't been shy about killing or "consumerizing" their pro products. Companies that make all their revenue from supporting the needs of professionals are generally considered a safer investment (when you consider how long it can take to get comfortable in something as complicated as a piece of pro-grade software).

Macs have huge penetration in the music production space, however, and I don't see that going away any time soon.

Azzart, Kumabjorn and stoneseeker like this.
  4. DaniJoy

DaniJoy www.danijoy.com

i go back and forth on mac and pc at art school and part time illustration work. i don't find either one to be better than the other. they both crash, get viruses, and both have annoying elements. My teachers at school are caught up in the old mindset of apple being best. i think back when they were young apple was the best for color management. now they are just too old to adapt to new workflows and the bias never goes away. THey look at my cintiq and don't get it. they dont want to draw on the computer, they all scan their art and colorize or collage it digitally. they have told me to just get a mac. i will if they ever make one for 2d artists..

i could honestly care less what OS i use. i just need the best drawing painting platform. today that is PC. tomorrow, who knows.

I do notice allot of my friends who are not good with computers find apple easier to use. ive never noticed that personally, but this might be why some prefer apple..

5. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Can this be interpreted as younger people being more flexible/less caught up in OS choices? What does the "oldtimers" think?

Balbutio ergo sum

6. DaniJoy

DaniJoy www.danijoy.com

that's my impression. But brand affiliation also has allot to do with it. A younger friend of mine carries a 15" MBP and a intuos because he thinks its cooler, buys into the apple marketing machine- and teacher advice. he thinks he needs all that hardware and he's just a painter. lol. total overkill.

Maybe im just lucky, but ive never had a really bad experience on windows or apple computers. only little glitches here and there on both.

7. WillAdams

People who choose to use Windows are willing to accept a lot of inconsistencies and inefficiencies which a good number of Mac and NeXTstep users never would tolerate.

8. DaniJoy

DaniJoy www.danijoy.com

come on, all OS's have inconsistencies and inefficiencies. I use both daily. most of the time brand affiliation is just a failure of the user to adapt to learn new workflows. Humans hate changes. one or two more clicks on this OS or that.... makes little difference. they all copy each other anyway.

9. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

A friend of mine used the NeXT Cube and to this day he claims it is the best computer, including OS, he ever used.

Yes, I'm happy to see you and that is a Sony Xperia in my pocket

10. WillAdams

I’ve used a Windows since 2.11, a Mac since 1984 when I bought a 128K machine, NeXTstep since v1, PenPoint, Palm OS, a Newton, Solaris, Linux and FreeBSD.

The only ones I really liked were the original Mac OS (while it was still b/w), NeXTstep, PenPoint and the Newton.

I tolerate Windows ’cause it’s pretty much the only option on the machine form factors which I prefer, but I’m still incredibly annoyed by inconsistencies and inadequacies in the interface, which don’t match how I’d prefer to use a system, or how much more efficient NeXTstep and Mac OS X are at the same tasks.

One or two clicks adds up, and feels like torture when it happens for every file on a project which requires dozens of files. Multiple projects a day, day in and day out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.