The answer to our prayers - The ExpressKey Remote

Discussion in 'The Tablet PC Life' started by T-ravisty, Jan 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bumper

Bumper Pen Pal - Newbie

No, there is no external component.

Indeed, I would like to be able to carry my remote to and from work, rather than spend the 100 bucks on a second remote and RF dongle.

2. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

3. Bumper

Bumper Pen Pal - Newbie

Well, I'll be damned. I hadn't looked under that hatch. Good eye!

4. DaniJoy

DaniJoy www.danijoy.com

i have one of these that came with my 27" wacom. im failing to see how this is faster than just using a keyboard. Am i missing something here?

5. Bumper

Bumper Pen Pal - Newbie

Really? I think it's s matter of human factors, ergonomics and personal preference. I've always used the keyboard as well, but see the legitimacy in the expresskey system.

6. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

it's a matter of abitude and way of working. I never used a lot of keyboard shortcuts even before the cintiq companion when I was using a portege m400. Probably not more than 15.

Now I'm completely keyboard free: zoom, rotate and pan are taken care by touch gestures, any other basic command I need stays either on an onscreen toolbar, companion physical button or radial menu. and all of them are easily reachable.
    A keyboard is faster, but I'm not a worker on an assembly line where every second saved is important.
    Ergonomics and comfort are more important than a few minutes spared while I work.

7. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

I work in an environment where every second saved is money in the bank. I work long days and value ergonomics and speed over anything else (in regards to accessories and tools). My Logitech G13 is much quicker than a keyboard for me. And I used a keyboard for 8 years as a shortcut tool. The G13 lets me program all my most used macros to single keys and is much easier to use without looking. It becomes so easy to not think about it at all, and there are no finger acrobatics required. The remote looks promising to me for artists on the go who need basic shortcuts, but something with more buttons is required for my workflow to use on the daily. The G13 (or Nostromo) are by far the fastest options to me.

8. DaniJoy

DaniJoy www.danijoy.com

dang that sounds cool! i need to give it more of a shot. i just had a hard time getting used to it.

9. DaniJoy

DaniJoy www.danijoy.com

oh man thanks for the tip! that thing looks sweet. im going give it a go next time i get paid

stoneseeker likes this.
  10. sartonnis

sartonnis Pen Pal - Newbie

The standalone remote just came back in stock on Wacom's site, so I took the plunge and ordered one to use with my Surface Pro 1.

I'll admit I'm a bit nervous about the whole thing as I'm not 100% sure it'll even work properly without a prior Wacom device to properly set it up with (I only have an old Bamboo CTH-470), but I'm eager to see how things fare.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.