The answer to our prayers - The ExpressKey Remote

Discussion in 'The Tablet PC Life' started by T-ravisty, Jan 9, 2015.

1. T-ravisty

T-ravisty Scribbler - Standard Member

cleft, WillAdams and darkmagistric like this.
  2. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

We were discussing this in the companion thread

I'm fairly optimistic because Wacom is making this remote compatible with all their current products even the USB Intuos tablets.

So even if efforts to connect the remote to a tablet PC don't work....theoretically one could just plug an Intuos tablet into a tablet PC.....install the remotes drivers, unplug the Intuos and use the remote with the tablet PC. Or at least that's what I'm guessing.....I guess it all depends on how much Wacom feels like Dicking us over

T-ravisty likes this.
  3. ron2k_1

ron2k_1 calibuchi Senior Member

Still seems bulky don't you think

Swiped from my Galaxy Note 4 using Tapatalk

4. darkmagistric

Not really.....it's no worse then my Nostromo gamepad

5. WillAdams

WillAdams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

If it has to inter act w/ the digitizing electronics on an Intuos, how can one expect it to work w/ the digitizer on a Tablet PC?

I managed to find my old Wacom cursor tracing puck, which works w/a UD digitizer, but has never worked w/ any Tablet PC I've tried it on, including just now on my AVTN8. (I just dated myself, didn't I?)

6. darkmagistric

Keep in mind those old Wacom Mouse Pucks needed to have physical contact with the tablet in order to work. If you took the mouse off the tablet it wouldn't work.

While it does seem that this remote has some way of sticking/staying in place on the 27qhd's surface....Wacoms video ad for the 27QHD does show the remote being used in someones hand off the cintiq, so this does connect different then those old mouse pucks.

And while the Cintiq 27QHD has ample Bezel space (seriously they could fit a 30 inch screen in that case) to rest the remote....other devices like the current Intuos Standard model.....have near no bezel space....meaning you'd have to dock the remote on the Tablets active area which is already small. Be an odd choice for Wacom to extend the products compatability to a product that would only be hindered by its use.

Also those old mouse pucks worked essentially the same way the Pen did. Meaning and Intuos 3 mouse wouldn't work on a tablet pc, Graphire or Intuos 4 tablet, and vice versa. For your Mouse puck, which tablet model did you obtain it with?

7. darkmagistric

I'd imagine the biggest hindrance might be drivers.....depending if Wacom releases a stand alone driver for this remote, or updates the current Intuos/Cintiq drivers so that its customizable the same way traditional express keys are.

8. WillAdams

WillAdams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The puck worked w/ my ArtZ tablet, and I'm still using the pen from it on my Tablet PCs.

9. Yuureikun

Yuureikun Scribbler - Standard Member

Call me crazy, but wouldn't it be likely that the little thing on the left of the tablet with the cable running behind the 27HDQ in this picture be a USB RF receiver:

http://www.geeky-gadgets.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/Wacom-Cintiq-27QHD.jpg

If that is the case, and assuming that the remote gets it's own driver instead of being built into an update to the drivers for the current generation of Wacom products, it should work on any computer regardless of being a Wacom product, or having a Wacom product hooked up to it.

darkmagistric likes this.
  10. darkmagistric

oh wow.....that's the first pic I've seen of that thing......and that thing is big......I was thinking (and hoping) it would be a tiny USB receiver like the one that would come with a wireless mouse.

Although it would be much harder to lose that thing in a travel bag. Unless is has some extra functions....I wonder why Wacom made it so big. There are definitely some usage scenarios where I can easily see that being a hindrance....like in a drawing class where I have to hold my tablet as I draw.....having that thing dangling from the USB or balancing on my leg would be annoying.

or wait....they said that you can use like 5 of these remotes at the same time....prehaps thats why its so big...to allow it to work with multiple remotes.

Or it could be an extender....