Tf810c Touch screen wont work

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Raztamoket, Feb 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sabretache

sabretache Pen Pal - Newbie

I've also noticed that, in metro-mode the swipe, select, move etc functions work fine when touching the upper 2/3 of the screen. If the bottom 1/3 or so is touched it the mode changes to icon expand/shrink and there is no way out of it short using the Win key to move to a running app and back again or, if there is no running app then a reboot is needed. It is impossible to invoke the charm bar from any level of the right screen. Only way is to move pointer to edge and press win-C. It's beginning to look to me as though there is a physical screen defect.

Touch screen does not work at all in desktop mode.

I can use the system reasonably well with the dock kb but touch screen is effectively unuseable

2. sabretache

Had a 5 minute exchange with Aus Tech Support Monday. Machine collected by their courier today and on its way back to Brno, Czech Republic. No service in UK it seems so back to manufacturer. I'll let you know what happens and how long it takes.

3. justinhp

justinhp Pen Pal - Newbie

They collected mine two weeks ago, shipped it to the Czech Republic and returned it to me a week to the day. No touchscreen issues since (two weeks ago) - will keep everyone posted.
    I have to say that their support does appear to be pretty good if you live in the UK. There was no argument - after one email explaining my problem, they RMA'd it.

4. sabretache

Got mine back today. That's exactly 1 week from collection with a 1 day public holiday too. Quite impressive considering it involved 3 national borders each crossed twice!

It seems OK but no explanation as to what caused the problem. I have to say, having pondered it a bit, I suspect the powerful strip magnet inside the standard cover flap. It runs nearly the whole width of the screen about 1/3 up from the bottom which defines the area of the biggest problem. OTOH, if that were the problem you'd think they would say something about it.

Anyway, I have ordered a different non-magnetic case and will not be using the supplied one any more - just in case. They may be quick to repair/replace but it is still a bloody pain having to clean passwords etc etc then re-install most everything - not to mention being without a tools I expect to rely on more and more.

5. justinhp

justinhp Pen Pal - Newbie

Well, well - surprise, surprise and less than two weeks after getting it back (like you with no explanation) the same problem has recurred. So back through the RMA process starting tomorrow. I am also wondering about the magnet in the cover.

6. tauto

tauto Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello everyone, 1 month after purchasing the tablet in March, the same problem happened to me. Got it to to Asus repair centre and it was back after a week.
    The same problem arised again overnight last week.
    I use the tablet for work, my business partner has the same and he has no problem. So i got crazy with asus and tried to get a new one. No success since they only changed the bios the first time. So i m gonna get it repaired again.
    It s very hard to get information on what s going on and what repairs they ve done.
    I will put a message for the repair guy to at least put in a copy of the bios he will install or explain what he has been doing instead of "touchscreen error function".
    The tablet was on latest BIOS 0706 both times when it broke. So i ll let you know which bios the tablet has when it gets back or if i notice any change.
    I doubt from what they ve told me that it can be the magnet in the case. But seems as crazy that it s the bios made and installed by Asus liveupdate ....

7. sabretache

My machine is still working OK - used every day. It too has bios AMI 0706 dated 10/1/2013. Don't know if it was upgraded during repair but, since the m/c was new in April, my guess is that it is the original bios.

I haven't used the supplied case again. I have a 3rd party non-magnetic one. No proof that the magnet was the problem but I'm not risking using the original again.

If the issue DOES arrise again, I'll post details.

8. NewYorker545

NewYorker545 Pen Pal - Newbie

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I had the same finger touch problems on my Tf810c. Pen worked fine in Metro and Desktop, but finger touch did not work in Desktop and Charms were not available in Metro nor Desktop. Occassionaly I would see one or two round circles faintly on the screen.

Since LiveUpdate (ver. 6.0) was recently available, I just let it download and install, and voila! It solved my finger touch problems. I don't know if some Windows update had caused the touch problems and then a LiveUpdate may have resolved the screen/touch issues.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2013
  9. sabretache

My m/c worked well since return from manufacturer in May - used every day and relied upon. Yesterday the problem recurred, The machine had been charging whilst in sleep mode and the charger left plugged in for maybe an hour after full charge was reached. When I came to use it - same old problem. Nothing availed, even a factory reset and the latest LiveUpdate version. It has not been near the original magnetic-strip case since the last repair either, so that's not the source of the issue after all.

The problem is similar to that described by NewYorker 545 but more severe. those circles persist and the touch screen is effectively unusable. Even with k/b the cursor is erratic and it took twice as long as otherwise to select the options necessary for both a refresh and a full factory reset.

It is being collected again of Monday. On the evidence to date it is likely to break again just as the 1 year warranty runs out in Jan next year. I have already wasted hours dealing with the trauma of a broken m/c - re-installing software etc etc.

Asus MUST know exactly what the issue is but they refuse to tell me - just 'return it and we'll fix it' - duh! I'm NOT impressed; in fact I'm pretty pissed off! I've lost confidence in Asus and I will certainly not be buying another product from them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.