TF810c digitizer bugs on display

Discussion in 'Asus' started by TechnikFreak, Mar 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TechnikFreak

TechnikFreak Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey, I got a problem with the stylus/digitizer. On top of the sloppy detection around the edge of the display, there are two areas where the stylus is detected about 5mm to 1cm away from where it should be. The first picture demonstrates the bug right after the start of Windows 8. After having updated the drivers (version 2.03) or even having attempted to update them (unzip failed) it gets worse -> second picture. (pictures: attempting to draw straight lines with OneNote 2010/2013)
    Second.jpg Third.jpg
    Even reinstalling Windows 8 does not solve the problem :confused:
    Has anybody experienced something similar, so that this could be a software/driver issue or am I the only one? :(

2. NewYorker545

NewYorker545 Pen Pal - Newbie

Are you using the Vivotab on top of the Asus folio case? It has two magnets that distort the handwriting. This drove me nuts until I figured out it was caused by the case magnets.

3. TechnikFreak

NewYorker545, you're a genius! Yes, damn it! I always used the Tab on the sleeve due to my fear of getting scratches! This would explain the phenomena, depending on which side of the sleeve was on the table. Oh my gog, I would not have thought of it as it felt natural to me to use the sleeve as a sort of protection...

4. TechnikFreak

And without the sleeve it worked well?

5. NewYorker545

Glad I could help.

The more I use the Vivotab, the more I love it!

6. NewYorker545

Yes, just move it away from the tablet if it is on. By the way, keep credit cards and mechanical watches away from those magnets, too!

7. TechnikFreak

Thanks a lot! I knew of keeping away credit cards etc, but I did not think of the sleeve interfering with the stylus.

8. Lord Augastus

Lord Augastus Pen Pal - Newbie

I just posted this on vivotab case post. Essentially do not put tablet ontop of magnets it can majorly ****up the screen, here is the post I got the problem fixed but never again:
    Another update on the magnets in stock case:

They are indeed messing with the screen. These are the problems I found associated with this:
    1. Screen will flicker, possible random one off moments of tablet going into sleep.
    2. Messes with capacitance of the pen, where the magnets are located. The location on the screen will mess with the pens point location 'pushing' the courser/point to the side of the magnets location. This messes with any pen related action in those two locations of the screen. Since there are two magnets.
    3. This happened to me once. Very serious issue! I posted about this before but now I know what happened. The magnets where messing with my screen, when I was taking notes in Onenote and reader. One of the two programs at the time crashed\froze with extensive screen on off\ sleep mode fluctuation the tablet froze. I was forced to restart. After restart the two points where magnets where located under tablet, the screen did not recognize the pens capacitance. This only effected one orientation of the screen. Meaning this was a software and hardware(capacitive screen) issure due to the crash, and force restart. Refresh did nothing, driver change did nothing. After each on off cycle of tablet and screen rotation, the points of dead space for the pen moved. After half hour of restarts and screen tests the dead spots were almost off the screen. Now everything works fine and efficiently. I should add, It took roughly 3-4 hours to refresh, re-install all updates and drivers, then reconfigure all settings and apps on the tablet. Then extra time of excessive testing and use, with restarts to get rid off the two dead spots. Never again!

Bottom line is, NEVER PUT TABLET DOWN ON TOP OF THE MAGNETS LOCATED ON THE FLAP OF THE COVER. The inner flap is just a metal strip, but the outer contains two magnets. They can damage memory, capacitance of both the screen and pen and **** up your screen. Asus should be informed about this. In fact there should be a warning on these cases so everyone doesnt get what I got, spread the word fellow tf810 users.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.