TF810 - how to get best video playback?

Discussion in 'Asus' started by galtom, Feb 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. galtom

galtom Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi All,

In another words...
    1. What are the best video codecs we can get?
    2. Once installed are there any specific options (due to our specific hardware) that should be changed from defaults in order to get the best result.

By result I mean:
    - quality of picture and sound
    - amount of different video formats we will be able to play
    - smoothness
    - best battery life

I use Windows Media Player as a viewing software as it is simple, already built in and since I do not use subtitles this is not an issue for me

2. Breed

Breed Scribbler - Standard Member

Getting majority of formats to work in Windows Media Player is always a pain. For seamless Video playback (all the way up to 1080p) I'd recommend using 'Media Player Classic - Home Cinema'. It's a really lightweight application that can be run from a Folder, with no installation required if you want. You'll also need to do the following:

In MPC-HC, go to View -> Options and go to External Filters at the side. Click Add Filter and select 'Microsoft DTV-DVD Video Decoder'. Click OK and then click 'Prefer' on the right hand side. Restart MPC.

That will then play pretty much anything you throw at it seamlessly.

PowerDVD from the Windows Store also plays everything very well if you want something that works in the ModernUI. But it costs £10 :(

3. galtom

galtom Pen Pal - Newbie

Just made a test of few different 1080p files (got them from xda, they were publish when Tegra 2 came out and people noticed how useless it was with video playback).
    Any way, Windows Media Player + Shark007 codec pack was much better with smoothness than Media Player Classic.
    Try it.

4. Breed

Breed Scribbler - Standard Member

I'll take you word for it. I avoid codec packs where possible. They're notoriously difficult to remove 100%. That's why I like Media Player Classic so much. They're contained within the program.

5. vadimpelau

vadimpelau Scribbler - Standard Member

I'd recommend VLC and SMPlayer. both have the so much needed audio boost but VLC's works better. Also a native VLC windows 8 app should come out soon (beware the scams in the market).

Both will yield the best results as you asked, even the most troublesome .mkv files should be playable and they are quite lightweight.

Avoid codec packs as Breed said not only will they leave junk in your system but they can interfere with formats that work... results always unpredictable.

Also avoid any "BIG brand" players that are shareware or paid. They're usually bloated, lengthen the startup with useless processes and still have a limited format range.

6. galtom

galtom Pen Pal - Newbie

I found Shark007 through XDA recommendation. I have to say I do trust those guys 😉
    I know about vlc for w8, as soon as it is out I will get it.
    Apparently we can expect to see something in March.

7. resolyn

resolyn Pen Pal - Newbie

I usually
    I usually used Brorsoft Video Converter to deal with all my videos including for easily playing. You can have a try. Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 29, 2015