TF810 batteries behaviour - is this OK?

Discussion in 'Asus' started by galtom, Feb 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. galtom

galtom Pen Pal - Newbie

Now, when my TF810 is working OK I can focus on other things in its daily usage.

All the time I was convinced that first battery to be discharged will be the one in dock.
    However what I noticed is a bit different.
    My set was plugged in in the evening.
    Both batteries got to 100% and I have unplugged device from socket.
    In the morning, few hours later I have checked and tablet and battery in tablet showed 98% and the one in dock 100%.

Now, after some usage batteries show 93% & 100%.
    Is this OK?

I thought idea for dock it to charge tablet constantly and because of that it is dock battery that should shrink (in terms of stored electricity) first.
    Unless, tablet battery has to drop down under certain % in order for such charging to begin.

Can you tell me how it is in your devices?
    Has anyone been in contact with Asus about - how it should work?

2. Alduin The World-Eater

Alduin The World-Eater Pen Pal - Newbie

I'd say so. Just my gut instincts.

However, I've heard both from reviews: Some state that the dock charges the tablet, some said that whenever plugged in, it draws power directly from the dock.

Sucking the tablet dry, then using the dock however makes no sense, I hope that's not the way it's supposed to be...

3. vadimpelau

vadimpelau Scribbler - Standard Member

The dock should start charging when power in the tablet drops below 70%.

4. galtom

galtom Pen Pal - Newbie

Than I understand that before that dock battery should be showing 100%?
    Once tablet goes below 70% - will it reach higher level (99%?) on dock charge only?

When I charge both to 100% and enter sleep mode (only Wi-Fi is on in Wireless setting) let say after 1h (or more if needed for test) what sort of power drop on each battery should I see if everything is OK?

5. Alduin The World-Eater

I dare to say that one hour of sleep is not enough to come up with feasible numbers.

I'd also not be surprised if the dock is only charging the tablet if the system DOES NOT sleep. Or at least, it won't start charging on its own when everything is sleeping...

6. galtom

galtom Pen Pal - Newbie

Is any one in good relation with Asus support and could ask how it is all supposed to work?
    This way anyone with questions/ or imagined issues (like me) could read and would know straight away if his/hers device is OK.

7. MaximumFish

MaximumFish Pen Pal - Newbie

What I've noticed is that it'll use the main battery until it has 70% charge, and then the dock battery kicks in. Whether it charges the main battery or supplies the power itself I'm not sure, but the main battery won't get any higher or lower than 70%. I'd assume it's charging though, as not needing to suddenly switch power supplies makes more sense when removing the dock. I'd also guess it discharges the main battery to 70% first to avoid the possibility of overcharging, though I'd assume 90% would be OK to avoid that. 70% is probably just them being overly cautious.

Once the dock gets to around 5% the main battery will kick back in and run until the system shuts down. It won't let you completely drain either battery as doing that can seriously damage them.

8. Alduin The World-Eater

Thank you, that's good to know.

9. curtissh

curtissh Scribbler - Standard Member

After having used this machine for a few months now, I'd also say that, with or without the dock, it's a metric crap-ton of battery life (for the unfamiliar, that's a very precise scientific unit). Don't sweat it. Charge it at night and, like an iPad, it will get you through even the longest days. Though the algorithm for charging the tablet with the dock remains a mystery to me, I find it works exceptionally well.

10. Breed

Breed Scribbler - Standard Member

Works the same way as the TF201/TF300/TF700.

* The charger charges the docked combo all together.
    * When fully charged, the tablet uses the charge first, then the dock charges the tablet. The idea being that the dock battery will be depleted while maintaining the tablet battery. See below...

Taken from the Transformer Forums Definitive Battery Matters thread. Only difference between Windows and Android is Windows will alert you when the battery hits 6%.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.