Text size, screen resolution, and screen size

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by TabletX, May 28, 2006.

1. TabletX

TabletX Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi guys, I was going to settle for the M400, then the Asus R1F rear its head again. So this got me thinking, the text size and redability is really important to me, I can't stand small text (my desktop is 18" at 1024X768). So how redable is the WXGA VS the XGA. I also did my homework a little and found this chart (http://www.prismo.ch/comparisons/notebook.php), but I don't know how significant is the different between a physical pixel size of 0.2401 mm at 12.1" XGA vs 0.2238 mm at 13.3" WXGA? I was planning to check out the 13.3" WXGA at a local store anyhow, but I just want to know what you guys have to say about this.

2. marbles

marbles Pen Pal - Newbie

Both are small screens.. hmm I dont know about you, but I could not handle working on a 12.1" screen, surely there has to be a big readability difference there compared to the 13.3"?

3. TabletX

TabletX Pen Pal - Newbie

see the stupid thing is that I think 13.3" screen has smaller text size than the 12.1", I think. They increased screen size, but at the same time they increased the resolution, so in the end I think the text is smaller. However, the thing I want to know is how much smaller and will I noticed it.

4. Gautam

Gautam Moderator

What text are we talking about? All text in the Windows OS is configurable to show in any size. Remember that Microsoft, as a monopoly, needs to cater to people with visual impairments. Go right click on your desktop and play around with the properties. Screen size is generally irrespective of text size. Of course, when you increase the screen size, you need to increase the text size in order to make up for the increase in quality....

5. TabletX

TabletX Pen Pal - Newbie

but the problem with increasing text size is that some of the user interface get mess-up. Even with Vista, I tried it, it is much better but still some of the Icon get really fuzzy. Hopefully this problem will get corrected in the end, but still.

6. okashira

okashira Scribbler - Standard Member

Belive it or not, the text will be larger on the 12.1" screen. The 13.3" screen is actually shorter than the 12.1" screen, and they have the same vertical resolution

the 13.3" is 7.05" tall
    the 12.1" is 7.26" tall

so the text sizes will have a comparable ratio.

7. Polar

Polar Pen Pal - Newbie

I see how that works. Its the tallness of the screen that makes the difference.
    You can change the resolution obviously but I think with these sized screens theres really only one resolution that fits well?

8. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Those figures make good sence to me.

As to a 12.1" screen being too small... If you work on/read an A4 sheet of paper, you should have no problems with this size screen.

9. TabletX

TabletX Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks Guys, now the only problem is where to locate a M405? Bestbuy/Circuit are all out :mad: and I really prefer Bestbuy, circuit city recently pissed me off so..........