Tested & recommended Miracast Receivers/ Adapter dongles to transmit from Notebook to TV?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by crashnburn, Aug 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mikerman

Mikerman Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Have you tested the PTV3000 to note some form of incompatibility? I'm not aware that anything in Miracast has changed such that there would be an issue with Win8.1 or 10, but then, what would I know--I'm just a product consumer/user. ;)

Last edited: Aug 19, 2016
  2. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I've used nearly every one under the sun. The two I mention are objectively superior. Microsoft added extensions to Miracast that they use in Windows which the PTV isn't aware of.

3. Mikerman

Interesting info.-- thanks--

4. Mikerman

Guess I'm fortunate--just hooked up my PTV3000 to my TV and it seems fine with my Dell Venue 8 Pro tablet running Win10 (haven't used it since I upgraded to Win10 awhile back). :)

5. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

'Fine' is relative. Have you, for example, tried using a connected keyboard and mouse to accurately position the cursor in the middle of a bunch of text in Word, for example? Or ever wanted to wirelessly use a USB keyboard and mouse? If it's good enough for you, then that's great. But it is an inferior product, which you cannot even buy right now (making it extra irrelevant to the topic at hand and so I can't believe we've wasted so much time discussing it), which hasn't been updated in two years, and which is no longer supported by the manufacturer.

But don't take my word for it:
    https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/mt608594(v=vs.85).aspx

If you're happy with it, feel free to stick with it. For everyone else who is looking to buy something that is actually, you know, sold still :D, get one of the following and be done with it:

https://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-P3Q-00001-Wireless-Display-Adapter/dp/B01AZC3J3M/
    https://www.amazon.com/Actiontec-ScreenBeam-Wireless-Receiver-SBWD60A01/dp/B00O14JG2Y/
    https://www.amazon.com/ACTIONTEC-ScreenBeam-Mini2-Continuum-SBWD60MS01/dp/B017KUKHWS/

Last edited: Aug 20, 2016
  6. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Agreed. Even just trying to position the cursor on a go-to-fullscreen button is tricky due to the 0.5 second delay on my Roku 2. It's fine for streaming video though.

7. Mikerman

Thanks for the further info.

Nope, I haven't done any extensive testing of the PTV3000 and Win10, just the beaming over of screens and video to see if it all worked, and all of which showed up just fine, albeit with a micro-second delay (in fact, it seems less trouble-prone on Win10 than it was with Win8.1). That's what I typically have used Miracast for in the past--I can't really see myself doing word-processing to my television across the room. ;)

And, in fact, a good reason for this discussion and to discuss the current viability of the PTV3000 (which, at least in my experimenting and for my own use, seemingly is far from "inferior"): if one already has it (and a whole boatload of people purchased the PTV3000) and if it still is compatible and working well with Windows and Win10 for one's purposes, why blow a further $50 on a new Miracast receiver? (I just saved that, but now also have a further understanding of how the technology has developed since my last purchase.) But, of course, I agree that if one is starting from scratch or if one has additional needs, it makes sense to get the most up-to-date device, if possible--the thread also is helpful as to those options and the explanation behind them.

By the way: I'm not terribly surprised that Microsoft recommends that people buy its own Miracast device, lol. I bet that the current edition of the Surface Pro would go well with it as well. ;)

Last edited: Aug 20, 2016
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.