Tested & recommended Miracast Receivers/ Adapter dongles to transmit from Notebook to TV?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by crashnburn, Aug 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crashnburn

crashnburn Scribbler - Standard Member

Tested & recommended Miracast Receivers/ Adapter dongles to transmit from Notebook to TV?

I did look on Amazon. Some expensive branded ones and others inexpensive and still seem good.

But, I trust the experiences of people here more than general crowd on Amazon.

- Suggestions/ experiences with such?
    - Are they all Wireless - N or some are AC? Pros and cons of getting an AC one?
    - For now most support 1080p, but is there a higher res standard in the future / upcoming?
    - Any higher Hz thing on them? i.e. 30 Hz vs 60 Hz in discussion when people talk 4K screens.
    - Now HDMI 2.0 (allows 4k @ 60hz) and more Bandwidth
    Some say they are HDMI 2.0 i.e. but is there any benefit if their Wireless / Miracast side cannot support the higher bandwidths/ limited to 1080p/ ...Hz?

Thoughts & experiences?

2. Mikerman

Mikerman Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Netgear's Push2TV PTV3000 has been popular, and Microsoft has a Miracast receiver dongle that has been well-received as well.

3. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

I've own and use the Netgear PTV 3000, Actiontec ScreenBeam Pro and the Microsoft Wireless Adapter, all work really well. I'm also using the Windows 10 AU Connect App more and more (Software based Miracast Adapter).

Mikerman likes this.
  4. Mikerman

Thanks for the usage reports!

5. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

On this topic, is there any projector that supports 4k?

Twitter is to communications as haiku is to literature.

6. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

The PTV3000 is way past EOL. Get a Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter v2 or an Actiontec Screenbeam Mini 2 (and also, download their corresponding apps and do a firmware update). Their firmware is specifically optimized to work great with Windows (but also is best-in-class with Android as well).

None of them support more than 1080p. The two I mention use some tricks to minimize the perceivable delay (which especially is huge when trying to accurately move a mouse cursor).

7. Mikerman

LOL. If it works, it works. ;)

8. jhoff80

You can't go by that with Miracast. Technically a Roku works for Miracast receive, but you get ~1 second of delay. Good Miracast compatibility is dependent on a device being supported with firmware updates. The PTV3000 hasn't been updated since Windows 8.0 was around, let alone 8.1, 10.0, the 10.0 November Update, or the 10.0 Anniversary Update. Too much has changed on Microsoft's end in how they handle things as the transmitting device.

The PTV3000 was a good device back in 2015 when it got firmware updates. It's not any more. Like I said, stick to the Microsoft Adapter or the Screenbeam Mini 2.

9. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

I was amazed the other day when I randomly hit Win-K on my Surface 3 and saw my Roku in the list. Tried to project to it, and lo and behold, I could project TennisTV to my Roku, while using the Surface 3 screen for other stuff at the same time. I had no idea! Works pretty well. Sometimes a little choppy. but mostly a good experience. It might be smart if Win10 would have a popup stating something like 'It seems like there are Miracast compatible devices on your local network. Would you like to connect?'. I've had both Roku and S3 for many months, and it never occurred to me to try this.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2016
  10. jhoff80

I have to admit that it's been more than a few months since I've had a Roku connected to my system so that is based on old results as well. But just goes to show the importance of firmware updates. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.