Temporary Tablet Pc for Notetaking

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by adrianR, Feb 18, 2013.

1. adrianR

adrianR Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello all,

I am looking to get a tablet pc/convertible for notetaking at uni.
    I was wanting to get a more expensive one but I have decided to wait until Haswell so I can get something better. In the mean time I just want to get a cheap one to be replaced later on.

General Questions.

1. What is your budget?
    Preferably <$600, will consider up to $800 if necessary

2. Would you consider purchasing used/refurbished?
    Yes

3. Do you prefer a media/mobile tablet like the iPad, Windows tablet PC, or notebook convertible?
    Tablet PC/convertible

4. What size Tablet PC would you prefer?
    7.1 to 10-inches
    10 to 13-inches

5. Which country do you intent to purchase from [where do you live]?
    Australia

6. Do you have any preferences to brand loyalty or dislikes?
    None

7. How many hours battery life do you require?
    As long as possible, probably 4hr min

8. What will be the primary usage scenario of this tablet? (Email/Web Surfing/Drawing/Word Processing/Entertainment/Notetaking etc)
    Notetaking mostly, web surfing

9. Do you have an OS preference? For example, do you own an iPhone and a Mac, or are you a Windows fan? Do you own an Android device and use Google services frequently?
    Windows

10. What software and tasks do you intend to run? (Microsoft Office or other Word Processing Suite/Photoshop/3D Studio Max/Autocad etc)
    Microsoft OneNote for notetaking, and probably Powerpoint/Word

11. Do you intend on playing Games? If so please list.
    No

12. Would you like to stream content through your home theater system?
    No

Screen Specifics

1. Any preference on screen resolution?
    Don't care

2. Will you be using the tablet outdoors? Do you need to be able to see it through glare from the sun?
    No

3. Do you require a pen? With or without pressure sensitivity? Do you prefer Wacom or N-trig?
    YES, I've heard Wacom is better but I haven't used either so no preference.

Component Specifics

1. What size Hard Drive and Memory do you require? Would you like expandable memory?
    Don't need too much storage so I really don't mind.

2. What sort of inputs do you require, if any? Would you like full-sized USB and SD card slots? Are microUSB and microSD ok? Do you require HDMI inputs?
    USB, but don't mind if not

Thanks for your help.

2. meow9th

meow9th Scribbler - Standard Member

I have a used CL900 that almost fits your needs perfectly. It's got an Atom processor, so tons of battery life, runs Win 7 and OneNote, is about 10.6". If all you do is take notes and surf the web, then it's adequate computer for you. It is Ntrig, and Ntrig does suck compared to Wacom. But used CL900s are going for only $300 or so on ebay, so, at that price, it's probably worthwhile as a temporary tablet.

So that's what I would suggest for you - look at the used, Atom-based tablet market, and you should be able to find plenty of machines for under $500.

3. adrianR

adrianR Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for your suggestion.

I had a look at the CL900 but of the ones on ebay, one had a bad battery and the other was >$900.
    Also, I've decided I need a keyboard as well, and so I'll need to either get a keyboard dock or find a tablet with a keyboard.

I was reading through some of the other threads and the HP 2730p seems to be recommended, although it's not atom so maybe I don't need it. I found one for $500 though, so I wonder if that would be any good?
    My concern though is if it's too old and outdated now.

There is a ASUS Eee Pad Slate EP121 currently for $500 but it's $790 for buy it now, but if I can get that for less than <$600 would that be good? It comes with a keyboard and the seller has installed windows 8 on it too.

I could also get a Fujitsu Stylistic Q550 for $410 but that's from the US and so I would need to have a power adapter with me and I also would need to get a keyboard.

4. meow9th

meow9th Scribbler - Standard Member

Heh, I guess there aren't as many used CL900s available in Australia as there are in the US. Oh well.

I'm not very familiar with the models you listed, but here are my thoughts:

HP EliteBook 2730p: I wouldn't worry too much about 'old' and 'outdated', that just means it might be bulky and not powerful enough - so look at the weight, form factor, and specs and think about whether that meets your needs. My concern with this class of machine (convertible) for you is the battery life. It has a Core 2 Duo, which, in my experience with my Core 2 Due convertible, well get an actual battery life around 3 (plus or minus 1) hour (although I see here that it has LV and ULV options; I'm not sure what mine was). Is that enough for you? Also, since it's a used battery, the battery capacity will be lower than new. You may want to ask what the actual capacity of the battery is compared to the design capacity, and then think about (and price) getting a new battery.

Asus EP121: even more powerful than the 2730p, and bundled keyboard. I don't think it'll get any better battery life, but this machine is pretty beastly for the package and the price. If everything else looks good for you (SSD capacity etc), I think it looks like a good choice. And it has a Wacom digitizer!

Fujitsu Q550: well, getting a separate keyboard isn't a huge deal, it's just an accessory and will likely cost less than $50, so I don't think you should sweat over it. It does have an Ntrig digitizer, but has an Atom processor, so the battery life I expect should be quite a bit longer (about twice, I think).

I think both the EP121 and Q550 have their pros and cons, but I'm not really seeing any advantage the 2730p has over them both, for your particular use case, unless I missed something?