Temporary Sketcher/Note Taker Until Haswell/2nd Gen Windows

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by Zeelobby, Feb 7, 2013.

1. Zeelobby

Zeelobby Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

A little background first. While I am definitely planning on test driving the Surface Pro on release I already know that it will not be sufficient for all of my needs. While it does fulfill my needs as a notepad, it will not be sufficient as a program development laptop. For that I would require 8GB RAM at least, and more importantly,much larger screen real-state (13"+).

That said, I do think that during the second generation run of Windows devices will include something along those lines (13" taichi, transformer book with stylus, etc.). But the problem is that I have classes now and desperately need a digital notepad for mathematics and application development sketches (as well as some light graphic art). I have no issue buying refurbished or new, but since I will need it to last as long as possible without charging, returned W7 tablets will not be sufficient, which leaves me with W8 atom or Samsung Note tablets. My only hesitation with Atom tablets is their reliability (countless launch issues) and price (some can be rather expensive for a temporary notepad).

Again, the idea is to use this for a year as my main note taker, and then replace it with an all-in-one that better fits my needs.

I have had great interest in the Atom tablets (especially the Asus and Samsung versions) but am hesitant to jump on board, so if anyone has recent experience (with updated drivers, etc.) and would like to promote either, I'd be very interested to hear. While I am not adverse to the idea of purchasing a "plastic" device, durability is important to me.

Here's my form.

General Questions.

1. What is your budget?

$800 max (including any screen protectors, docks, cases, etc.)

2. Would you consider purchasing used/refurbished?

Yes, although it needs to meet my 8 hour battery life needs.

3. Do you prefer a media/mobile tablet like the iPad, Windows tablet PC, or notebook convertible?

Right now lighter is better as this would primarily be for sketching/note taking.

4. What size Tablet PC would you prefer?
    5 to7-inches
    7.1 to 10-inches
    10 to 13-inches
    Above 13-inches

10-13 would be great, 7.1 to 10 would be good for note taking, but drawing might suffer. I really like the portability of my Nexus 7 though.

5. Which country do you intent to purchase from [where do you live]?

US

6. Do you have any preferences to brand loyalty or dislikes?

Windows or Android are fine with me. I own devices which use both, and love both.

7. How many hours battery life do you require?

8 would be the best, though I could probably manage anywhere 6+

8. What will be the primary usage scenario of this tablet? (Email/Web Surfing/Drawing/Word Processing/Entertainment/Notetaking etc)

Note taking (digitized stylus required), sketching/storyboarding, web browsing, remote desktop access (in that order)

9. Do you have an OS preference? For example, do you own an iPhone and a Mac, or are you a Windows fan? Do you own an Android device and use Google services frequently?

Use Google services the most, but do not feel restricted. If Windows and OneNote is the way to go, I'll make that transition. I like to use the best tool for the job and would never limit myself because of past choices.

10. What software and tasks do you intend to run? (Microsoft Office or other Word Processing Suite/Photoshop/3D Studio Max/Autocad etc)

I need apps/applications to take notes and sketch with a digitized pen. Besides that I can use Google Docs on any platform, so I guess a strong web browser would be my other requirement, haha.

11. Do you intend on playing Games? If so please list.

No. My future device will hopefully have a dedicated GPU, but for now, battery life and work functionali

12. Would you like to stream content through your home theater system?

No

Screen Specifics

1. Any preference on screen resolution?

Good enough that lines and text look fluid, the less pixely the better. But if lower res = lower cost w/ minimal compromise, I'll take it. Especially for what will hopefully be a temporary device.

2. Will you be using the tablet outdoors? Do you need to be able to see it through glare from the sun?
    See the above linked FAQ for guidance

Hardly ever, so no.

3. Do you require a pen? With or without pressure sensitivity? Do you prefer Wacom or N-trig?
    See the above linked FAQ for guidance

YES. Honestly N-Trig or Wacom would suffice. I've enjoyed Wacom the most in the past but have used both. A silo would be awesome, but is not mandatory

Component Specifics

1. What size Hard Drive and Memory do you require? Would you like expandable memory?

I plan to utilize the cloud as much as possible (start sketches on tablet, finish drawings on desktop). Expandable memory would be a definite bonus. I do not require to have the top memory version of the device unless it is a cheap upgrade.

2. What sort of inputs do you require, if any? Would you like full-sized USB and SD card slots? Are microUSB and microSD ok? Do you require HDMI inputs?

Video out would be nice, but isn't mandatory. SD cards of any size would be great, USBs of any size would be great, but having both would be awesome.

2. NamelessPlayer

NamelessPlayer Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Hmmm...this is gonna be tricky, with those battery life and weight requirements.

An HP 2730p/2740p/2760p would certainly do the trick with a slice battery installed, but it'll be around 4-5 lbs. The weight doesn't bother me, but people are used to sub-2 lbs. slates these days.

The Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 has the weight and battery down pat, but running Android means that it's at a software disadvantage compared to Windows. OneNote in particular is seriously crippled on non-x86 Windows platforms, and I don't know of a single note-taking app that compares. You also get real Photoshop and whatnot on Windows, but I know there's an Android version of SketchBook that takes advantage of the Wacom pen in the Galaxy Note line.

(Oh, and by the way, second-gen Windows tablets would be more like Windows for Pen Computing 2.0 in the mid-late 1990s, derived from Win95. XP Tablet PC Edition is actually third-gen Windows for tablets, then followed by Vista, Win7, and now Win8. It's much older than most people think.)