Tecra M7: Upgrade from Core Duo to Core 2 Duo?

Discussion in 'Toshiba' started by kelkin, Jan 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kelkin

kelkin Pen Pal - Newbie

I purchased my M7 weeks prior to the release of the Core 2 Duo. The spec page said that the laptop was upgradable to the Core 2 Duo, though now that verbiage doesn't exist and Toshiba claims you can't upgrade the laptop.

I do know it was there though which is why I purchased the laptop to begin with. With that being said, does anyone know for fact whether the CPU is socketed and upgradeable to the Core 2 Duo's listed as available options on their website? And anyone know if there's really a performance difference? I have a 250GB HD and 4GB RAM, and even with that Vista just seems to crawl plus when typing keystrokes always disappear here or there.. so I was hoping I could get some extra performance by upgrading.

-Keith

2. tomtheweirdguy

tomtheweirdguy Pen Pal - Newbie

There is a huge difference in performance, as the Core Duo is actually more similar to the Pentium M, only with two cores on the die instead of one, whereas the Core 2 Duo is based on the Core architecture (based on what I've read and from experience with both, although I may be mistaken). As for upgrading, a socket M C2D (as opposed to a socket P) should be completely compatible with your current system, requiring at most a BIOS update. Just to be safe, try to find a company that will let you return it for a full refund in case it doesn't work.

Good luck!