Tecra M7-S7331 or M400 or should I still consider duo core gateway......

Discussion in 'Toshiba' started by PamPinto, Jul 11, 2006.

1. PamPinto

PamPinto Pen Pal - Newbie

I research, and read...but the answer is never clear.
    I am thinking I should go for a Tecra M7-S7331.
    screen larger. (my tired eyes could use a larger screen, and I am a realtor, use alot of pics in business)

My first thought was......
    put up with 12 inch and go for M400
    then gateway came....OK.....go for gateway...larger screen......and they did have a great special with office for free....but I went on vacation, special expired...and I come back and there is a new machine...........
    the tecra.....
    what does anyone think of this machine?
    pros and cons?

is there something I am not thinking of.................

I would wait for the thinkpad if they would just tell us when the heckkkels they will have a duo core machine

thanks in advance for advise

I have doen the comare on toshiba site and I am thinking Tecra M7-S7331 after that.
    Is there anything I am, not thinking of/

2. BenjaminRies

BenjaminRies Scribbler - Standard Member

You're comparing different kinds of devices meant for different use scenarios, in my opinion. If you're a real estate agent who will want to be able to use the tablet standing up, outdoors and/or on the road then you should be looking at a 12" with an indoor/outdoor screen: check into the Fujitsu T4210.

If this doesn't describe you accurately, then tell us how you imagine yourself using the tablet.

3. moralityjustice

moralityjustice Pen Pal - Newbie

Could you describe more what this tablet will serve you? As BenjaminRes said, the fujitsu 4120 is pretty good. Lenovo x41 and m400 are also smaller sized. Toshiba m7 and Gateway m285 are 14.1 inches widescreen and heavier.

4. ViPaDawG

ViPaDawG Pen Pal - Newbie

If I didn't need to play computer games, I myself would have gone with the Fujitsu T4210, even though I <3 my Gateway M285.

5. BenjaminRies

BenjaminRies Scribbler - Standard Member

I'm just picturing a realtor standing outside on a sunny day showing pictures to clients and scribbling down an offer in Journal... it seems like the Fujitsu is really the only convertable option, because of the sunlight. Otherwise, check out Motion and Electrovaya slates.

That said, for indoor use only, we've got a whole new ballgame. Indoor probably equals sitting down at a flat surface, like a desk. Suddenly weight & battery life are less important, while extra screen size + performance (for the sake of longevity) become dominant considerations.

6. alaren

alaren Pen Pal - Newbie

I'll just chime in that I recently ordered a T4210 after going through the exact list of options you just listed. I like to game, so I was leaning M7 or M285... but then I had to think about using the tablet for school... I went back and forth on integrated graphics, weight, a million factors. Couldn't make up my mind.

What finally clinched it was, I sat down and asked myself, what am I getting this tablet for? The final answer (no matter how much I wanted it to be "gaming") was: school. Based on various reviews and comparisons, I then went with the T4210.

So to echo what everyone else is saying: decide what you need/want a tablet for first. Indoor/outdoor use? T4210. Gaming? Probably the M285, though the M7 might be a possibility. Maybe you're a software developer on the road and you need a super light tablet but also a lot of screen real estate? There are a couple 12.1" tablets with SXGA you'd consider.

Don't let anyone convince you that you "need" discrete graphics or a widescreen display or whatever. You decide what you need and there's probably a tablet out there for you. Unless you need a 12.1" tablet with discrete graphics, that is. d^_~b

7. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

A very wise and accurate interpritation to the needs of an individual.

All to often the hardware is bought for all the wrong reasons.
    Your logic is based on thought and careful analysys.

Nice one alaren.

8. PamPinto

PamPinto Pen Pal - Newbie

First-
    Thanks for taking the time to answer me.
    Well, now that opened a can of worms.

I have not really researched the lifebooks.

Are they good machines?
    Tec support good?

Now...use, first of all I am of the generation that did not grow up with computers, so although I am pretty good at use, I am self taught.
    So I have holes in my knowledge.

I will use it 75% in office and 25% in field, (I think)
    It will be main machine I run my business on.
    When I am at office I will probably have a docking station of some kind with a screen, and I have a maxdor backup hardrive.

I have waited for core duo because I often multitask, use, up to 10 windows at a time. (Now use hyper treading dell with 15 inch flat screen)

Now I have a home computer, a work computer, and a palm.
    I would like to move it all to the tablet.

Use outlook and a couple of database programs for realtors.
    I do a lot of graphics; make postcards, listing sheets, ads.

But also contracts ECT.

Yes I do picture myself out in the sun with client searching listings...or at starbucks.
    And hoping to write offers and email to other broker

I had not thought about the indoor outdoor screen at all.
    I guess from what you are saying it makes a big difference.

I was looking at motion 1600 until core duo came out. (They actually have a red tablet just for realtors.
    But core duo was more important,
    And I think IBM makes a good machine, but they are not making any commitment on core duo release.
    I have even emailed them......no hint of when coming out.

So, do you think lifebook is as good a machine as M400?
    thanks again
    Pam

9. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Without doubt they are indeed excellent machines.
    An example of tech support casts me back to my Fujitsu Siemens PocketPC which was found to have an internal Wi-Fi problem.
    On calling tech support it was quickly diagnosed the problem was on the main board.
    The following day a courier was at my doorstep delivering a new replacement.

........ and I had not even sent the defective device in at that point.

Also, besides being light, small/compact, the T4210 is a very stylish tablet.
    Ideal for flouting in front of your customers.
    Take out the DVD RW and insert the modular bay battery and you then have 10hrs mobile use ~ again ideal for when out and about on lengthy visits.

10. SkiBunny

SkiBunny Pen Pal - Newbie

It's lenovo, not IBM. I have immediate family who are execs there. If lenovo continues the IBM tradition, it will be "quality first because quality lasts". The core duo tablets simply do not meet their quality standards, so i hear. Remember when IBM held back on selling new pentiums in the 90's, which turned out to actually make calculation errors. Perhaps something similar again regarding core duo & Tablet XP but that's just wild speculation on my part... maybe it's because they have heaps of X41t to sell still (dropping the price may help LOL)

Whatever, dont expect an x60t anytime this summer.